Solved

Scans

Userlevel 3
How is it possible for WSA to perform a scan when the PC is off? I turned on my laptop this morning and it said last scan was performed 4 hours ago. :S
icon

Best answer by JDMoose 15 May 2014, 01:42

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi JD

Not seen that one before...must be a glitch in WSA or perhaps it was remembering the last time it scanned before you switched off and somehow represented that information when you switched on, before recalculating that it was 4 hours plus the time the laptop had been switched off for?

If it is a worry/concern then I would open a support ticket and let the backroom boys & girls look into it for you. ;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Hi JDmoose,

I also haven't seen such situation so far and it's rather impossible for WSA to perform a scan when the machine is switched off ;)
You can only enable the option to scan on bootup if the computer is off at the scheduled time.
I would recommend you to do some more observation if it happens again, however you can always open a Support Ticket as Baldrick has rightly suggested before.

Regards,

Mike
Userlevel 3
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll monitor it and if it happens again I will just add it to the other issues I have created Support tickets for. 😠
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll monitor it and if it happens again I will just add it to the other issues I have created Support tickets for. :@
Hi JD

I know that my idea sounds silly but just before you close down your laptop next just check and make a note of how long ago the last scan run was.  Then, when you start up the laptop next time check to see what WSA is now reporting the interval since the last scan time.

As I said before...harebrained idea...but you never know. ;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Again thanks for everyone's input. Now I have to eat crow, and I stand corrected. My wife just came home from work and told me that she turned on the PC before she went to work at 6:30 this morning. So that solves the issue. It scanned while she was on it. I guess next time I should ask her before coming to any conclusions.  😳
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks for letting us know! ;)

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
LOL,  Don't eat the crow, I hear they DON'T taste like chicken ;/   It was quite a reasonable question given the circumstances and I assure you it is not the first time I have seen that same situation, so you are not alone!
Userlevel 7
Hi JD,

@ wrote:
Now I have to eat crow 
Don't do this, I agree with David, probably they aren't tasty ;)
Besides as one says -  better to ask the way than go astray :D
Thanks for letting us know.

Regards,

Mike
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Again thanks for everyone's input. Now I have to eat crow, and I stand corrected. My wife just came home from work and told me that she turned on the PC before she went to work at 6:30 this morning. So that solves the issue. It scanned while she was on it. I guess next time I should ask her before coming to any conclusions.  :$
Hi JD

Thanks for sharing.  Just goes to show that...you just cannot get the staff these days, eh?

Regards

Baldrick
I went to use my computer and it stated
Last scan 19 hours ago
Four minutes to the new scan
 Well, four minutes past and it said, last scan 19 hours ago and 23 hours till next scan?

Userlevel 7
Hi Zara-Jane

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Is it possible that you computer went to sleep at the point that the scan was due to run?  If the scan is for some reason impeded for reasons such as this, then it is possible to effectively miss a scan.

What is the scheduled scan time currently set (you find this under Advanced SettingsSchedulerScan Settings).  Make sure that this is set at the time at which you were expecting the scan to take place, and check also whether the 'Randomise time of scheduled scans...' is checked or not.  Then post back what you find and we will see if we can figure out what the issue is.

BTW, have you ever noticed this behaviour before?  If not then before doing anything else monitor for it again as it could just be due to a random 'glitch'.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
WELCOME Zara-Jane, great to have you ONBOARD. Hopefully we can resolve your issues here. Looks like @ has a starting point for you to investigate.

Please post back and let us know how you are doing! 😉