SecureAnywhere crashing Firefox

Yesterday (10/3/2015) I ran into a strange problem - My Firefox v41 wouldn't start up!

I did some searching re FF v41 having problems and so I downgraded FF to v38... I still had the problem. Wouldn't start in safe mode either.

Playing around, I realized that when I shut off SecureAnywhere (v9.0.4.7) FF was able to start.

I tested the various SecureAnywhere settings to see if I could narrow things down.. I found that in Identity Protection/Application Protection I had the following line set to "Protect"...

firefox.exe in c:usersobscuredappdatalocal emp7zs6d14.tmpcore

When I set that to "Allow" FF is able to start up normally. However "7zs6d14.tmpcore" does not exist in the temp folder!

I do have another similar line in SA ending in  7zs9138.tmpcore  That does not exist in the temp folder either, but in SA it makes no difference if it is protected or allowed.

Any idea what's going on?  And why would Application Protection reference someting that doesn't exist?

Inquiring minds and all of that!

16 replies

Hello kdawes01,
I have perhaps similiar on my Vista box.
FF41.0.1 set to Protect does not open.
IE9 set to Protect does not open. 
Change to Allow n' IE and FF open.
I've doen the uninstall reinstall thingy.
Antivirus v9.0.4.7 + v1.2.0.14

My W8.1 box is okay with Protect for IE11 / FF41 / Chrome45. 

Thanks for starting Topic. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
It likely did exist when you upgraded Firefox. All Browsers that you use should be added to.....Identity Protection/Application Protection.

Delete the temp one!
I'm confused at what you are suggesting...

The temp file doesn't exist... However the entry referencing the no-longer existing temp file in "Application Protection" remains.

Setting the AP entry to Protect for the non-existent file keeps FF from opening. Setting it to  Allow  lets FF open

I'd happily remove the entry from "AP", but I don't see a way to do so. Shouldn't it automatically go away if the file is gone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Right Click on the entry in Application Protection and delete the entry. On the Bottom Right on the same page Click ADD Application. Navigate to Program Files and find FireFox/Click on the Application/Click Save.
Do the same with other Browsers ie: Internet Explorer etc.
List them as Protected.
Userlevel 7
If need be, you might consider deleting the record of Firefox as noted by acooldozen, and then uninstall Firefox entirely.  Reboot the computer, and then redownload and install Firefox.

Hopefully that will not be needed, but it might work.
No joy yet.
Opened Ticket. 
Anyone hear anything that may be related. 
Uninstall restart Install restart = same symptom. 
I tried Firefox SafeMode (no extensions).  Then no problem. 

Thanks
I continue to have the problem unfortunately...
I do have some further information that may help...

To recap... Firefox tries to open and then SecureAnywhere shuts it down.
If I shut SA down, I can start Firefox..
If Firefox is running, I can start SA and have no problems.
EXCEPT
If FF and SA are both running and I try to click on a link in my email, FF tries to open it but then it fails... I have to copy and paste the link for it to work.

What I have noticed is that in the SA Execution History, it shows that  path/Mozilla Firefox/Update/firefox.exe starts to open and then after a few seconds it terminates.

I DO NOT even have a "Update" folder in my Mozilla Firefox directory...  So for some reason SA thinks I'm trying to open a file that doesn't even exist.

What would cause this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello kdawes01,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

I am not having any issues myself with FF and Webroot.

May I suggest hat you Submit a Support Ticket and they can check this out for you free of charge with an active Webroot subscription.

Otherwise you might want to try a uninstall/clean reinstall of Webroot.? If you haven't tried that yet?

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings if asked to as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again

bjm_ wrote: 10-06-2015 03:14 PM - edited ?10-06-2015 03:16 PM
No joy yet.
Opened Ticket. 

Thanks
No joy yet. 
Support told me to use Application Protection at Allow. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
bjm_ wrote: 10-06-2015 03:14 PM - edited ?10-06-2015 03:16 PM
No joy yet.
Opened Ticket. 

Thanks
No joy yet. 
Support told me to use Application Protection at Allow. 
Are you sure it's WSA? Turn off WSA and try again. Also what other security software are you using with WSA? Just in case you don't know how to shut down WSA from the Tray Icon: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C1_GetStarted/CH1d_UsingSystemTray.htm

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Application Protection at Allow sorts FF and IE not opening. 
Support says they're aware and investigating.  Allow is offered by Support as work around. 

Issue is on seldom used Vista box. 
W8.1 box with similiar toys is okay. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Application Protection at Allow sorts FF and IE not opening. 
Support says they're aware and investigating.  Allow is offered by Support as work around. 

Issue is on seldom used Vista box. 
W8.1 box with similiar toys is okay. 
Okay so it's OS specific, that's good to know!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
?I was having problems with FF crashing until  a couple of months ago. I disabled the Webroot Filtering Extension since when FF has not crashed once! So it might be worth a try.

I am using Win 7 and have had FF set to Protect throughout in Application Protection.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@I was having problems with FF crashing until  a couple of months ago. I disabled the Webroot Filtering Extension since when FF has not crashed once! So it might be worth a try.

I am using Win 7 and have had FF set to Protect throughout in Application Protection.
IMO that's not a fix and on Windows 7 and Windows 10 I don't have any issues with Firefox so I would not recommend to disable the extension but to contact Support to see what the issues are.

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
@ wrote:
IMO that's not a fix and on Windows 7 and Windows 10 I don't have any issues with Firefox so I would not recommend to disable the extension but to contact Support to see what the issues are.

Daniel
Thanks Daniel but it's good fix for me since I don't use any of the three search engines that it supports. :D

Nemo
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Daniel
Thanks Daniel but it's good fix for me since I don't use any of the three search engines that it supports. :D

Nemo
Yes to each there own but don't suggest to others please. If users have issues let support look after them!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉