Solved

Should I uninstall ATT McAfee?

Userlevel 1
Hi everyone,

I just recently downloaded the trial for Webroot Secure Anywhere because McAfee kept on turning off my firewall and virus scanner (caused by a trojan), so I installed Webroot trial, and it worked flawlessly on taking out 4 trojans in my computer.
My question is, should I leave McAfee installed or should I uninstall it?
By experience, I knew that installing another antivirus should disable your previous one, but McAfee is still running.
McAfee Suite was free from ATT, and it was a pretty horrible antivirus. It did great at first, but later on, it started turning off firewall / virus scanner on its own.

I can do justice by removing it?

-Thanks
-RXP
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 28 March 2014, 16:35

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello ResistanceXP and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

In my Opinion remove McAfee as WSA will protect you much better here is a list of AV removal tools just use the one to remove McAfee and if you have any other questions feel free to ask! Also you must use Windows Firewall or a Third Party Firewall along with WSA please see here: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C4_Firewall/CH4a_ManagingFirewall.htm

Cheers,

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 1
Thank you for the links!
Your post actually transitioned my next question flawlessly.
WSA firewall is on, but my Windows firewall is off. I've been trying to turn it on, but I keep on getting the error 0x80070422. Any experience on that by any chance?

-RXP
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Have a look here to see if any of the suggestions can help you: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2617842 Method 2 it a Microsoft Fix it. If none of the above work try this one: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_firewall_diagnostic/

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 1
Wow, everything worked. My Windows firewall is back up and everything looks good again.
Thanks for everything.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That`s great to hear but it doesn`t mean you have to leave us we are a great bunch here and come by anytime! :D

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 5
I'd get rid of any product with the macafee name on it asap.
Userlevel 5
Why chris?
Userlevel 7
Because even John McAfee sugests that it would be wise to do so...do you need any more reason than that...other than the recent AV test scores are absolutely lamentable!
Userlevel 5
It's IMO borderline malware , I do not approve of their business practices packaging their products as tag along with legitimate installs/updates (iirc they do it with either java or adobe) and imo in any market space macafee has a product there is a better choice
Userlevel 5
How? My dad uses it for his old laptop.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Get him onto WSA!

Daniel
Userlevel 5
I'll try but he might be mad at me if i download webroot with out his permission that's what worries me
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
No you must ask him I don't want to get you into trouble!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
I wouldn't ask him...I would make a case and prove it to him...show him what he is missing.
Userlevel 2
Hi Baldrick
It's little voice sorry but I agree McAfee is like a virus it fights against the Microsoft products. I had it 2 yrs. ago then I went to Microsoft Essentials that is free firewall/virus protection. But of course we all want Webroot instead.
Userlevel 7
Hi littlevoice

Not sure what you are apologising for?  Cannot see any reason for you to have to? :D

If you are still running MSE whilst running WSA then I would humbly suggest that yo deactivate MSE...it will not really be helping and may give you false positives.  IMHO you only really need WSA.

Regards

Baldrick