Solved

Sim card lock, no keyboard input possible

Userlevel 2
My wife's phone is one of the devices protected by my subscription. She's currently out travelling while she has changed mobile network provider. Today, she changed the sim card in her phone, at which point the sim card lock (which I wasn't aware of) kicked in. The problem is that when she tries to enter the password to unlock the phone, no keyboard shows up. it's an unmodified nexus 5. Could you please advice me how to help her unlock the phone? She's on a trip with and she really needs the phone.

icon

Best answer by Ssherjj 8 March 2016, 13:55

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Weppenaar,

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

In your situation, unfortunately this is the lock screen behaving as designed.  When there is no internet connectivity while the device is locked, there is no way for it to receive the password reset from the console.  This issue is explained in depth in this article

But please read this Android User Guide to try to unlock your device from the Online Account Console.

If this does not help then my advice would be to do a soft reset on the device or get your cell phone provider to assist.

Also you could Contact Webroot Support and they might be able to asist you. http://www.webroot.com/us/en/company/contact-us

Hope this helps somewhat?
Userlevel 2
Ahh, okay. I thought that the issue with no keyboard input was a separate thing, but it's because there's no connectivity when my wife is in another country without a carrier signal. Thank you very much for the clarification, I'll try to unlock the phone as soon as she's back in the country.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Weppenaar,

Yes thank you for letting us know!
Userlevel 2
By the way: You may want to include an explanation with the lock screen for future versions in a case like this, so people know that it's a connectivity issue and not a bug that prevents the keyboard from appearing. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello Weppenaar,

That's a good suggestion. You might want to request that in the Feature Request so that the developers can see this and we can Kudo your idea/suggestion to gain recognition.

Thank you!
Userlevel 2
Thank you, done. 🙂
Userlevel 2
My wife is now back in the country, and she still can't input the code. She tells me that before she went abroad, she disabled data over mobile networks to avoid the huge roaming charges. So it seems like I can't turn mobile data back on due to the SIM lock, and the SIM lock needs data access before I can remove it.

Is it correctly understood that I'm in a catch-22 because of this, where I can't unlock the phone in any way?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello, 

I'm sorry to hear this. I would call your service provider and see if they can assist you with turning the data back on and explain your circumstances.  But I would see if you can deactivate your wife's phone in the Account Console and then you could reactive later. You could Contact the Support team as well. You might have to do a soft or hard reset of the devuce.

Good Luck. .please let us know how things turn out if you get a chance.
Userlevel 2
No go for the service provider. It doesn't seem like they can do that in Denmark in general.

My wife also made an observation: The very first time she turned on the phone with the new sim card, she could enter her pin code to active the sim card. After that, the phone boots directly to the Webroot lock screen. So do you only have one attempt to activate the sim card? Since the sim card needs to be enabled for Webroot to get data access, it seems excessive that you can only try to unlock the sim card once. Is that intended behaviour?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
? I may be on the wrong track here but you say your wife has changed service providers and kept the same phone, was this phone by any chance provided by the original service provider? If it was the chances are it's locked to their network, in which case you would need to contact them to obtain a Personal unlock code (PUK) to enable you to unlock the phone for use on a diiferent providers network.
Userlevel 2
Nope, the phone was bought separately, no issues there. But good thought to eliminate the possibility. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
No go for the service provider. It doesn't seem like they can do that in Denmark in general.

My wife also made an observation: The very first time she turned on the phone with the new sim card, she could enter her pin code to active the sim card. After that, the phone boots directly to the Webroot lock screen. So do you only have one attempt to activate the sim card? Since the sim card needs to be enabled for Webroot to get data access, it seems excessive that you can only try to unlock the sim card once. Is that intended behaviour?
Hello Weppenaar,

Again this does not sound right that you only get one chance to enter the pin code. Have you tried going into the Account Console and deactivating the device? I have never been in this position before and I feel for you both that this still isn't resolved.

Have you contacted the Support Team about this?
Userlevel 2
I didn't try the account console since it showed that the phone hadn't had any activity since a week ago, so there obviously wasn't any connection. I ended up being able to wipe the phone using fastboot mode, and now it's back to fresh. The solution description can be found here at the Google forums:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/nexus/PjEPL2lZLxo/qd43msN-BgAJ

I did try contacting Webroot support, got a very short message that I needed to reset the device, no input as to how.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you for letting us know!
I ran into this exact same problem 2 weeks ago when I travel oversea and switch the SIM card and also the same problem happened when I return home and switch back to my original SIM card.  

I also can confirm that older versions did not have this problem because I had traveled to the same country using the same SIM card last Oct without encountered any device locking problem.

I am 100% sure the issue has nothing to do with connection, whether cell data or wifi, becuase in both cases I did have both data and wifi connection.  There is a simple solution: using an OTG USB plug to plug in an USB keybord and type the password.

This is definitely a bug on the app.  For some unknown reason, the keyboard is not being trigger to open in the locked device screen.  

Webroot support needs to look into this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi johnsonhuen

Welcome to the Webroot Community,

Thank you for that information. Maybe I can ask ? who is our moderator to ask about this issue and see if he can find out any information concerning this.

Again appreciated your help!;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
This isn't one I've heard of - probably best to contact support and see what they know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Sounds good... Thanks Nic! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello ?,

Would you please Submit a Support Ticjket and let Support know of your findings? This would greatly help all of us here to know if this is indeed a bug in the Webroot Mobile app. 

https://www.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp this is a free service and they would gladly respond to your inquiry.

Thanks!