Solved

So many problems

Userlevel 2
This isn't in order because I can't remember the order 1) Webroot had a pop up that covered half my screen saying something about some program. The problem is that it popped up and went away so fast I couldn't read it. I think it said facebook. I don't use facebook. 2) I get pop ups in the lower right corner. They're small and I never get to read them. 3) Apparently something called lodctr.exe keeps trying to install something every time I log in but I was just notified of this a while ago, a good while AFTER logging in. 4) There are no logs of any of this. Why don't you save logs of this crap so I can go and see what happened? 5) I have the program set to not fade messages out and to not force non critical messages into background, yet I do not get to read these messages. Why? 6) Malwarebytes pro now takes forever to start up after logging in. This is after an update caused it to have corrupted files and I had to reload it. 7) I cannot play audio CD's. Media play freezes up when I try. No idea why.
icon

Best answer by EamonF 17 June 2013, 16:40

View original

71 replies

Userlevel 2
Could be a few things causing this, but seems like program conflicts/bad install. I`m a qualified  A+ IT Technician, and my recommended advice is this:

Create a system rstore point first!

Uninstall malwarebytes completely. Run regedit and search for all reg entries with malwarebytes in the name. If found, delete.
Run CCleaner (you can get it from piriform.com if you havent got it already). Run the registry cleaner in the program. Delete any entries it finds (it will ask you if you want to backup the registry, DO SO!). Select Options tab on the program GUI, then Advanced, then untick the box that says "only delete tempory files older than 24 hours". Then run cleaner. Once you have done this, reboot. This will clear any leftoover files from recent previous installs. See if you still have the problems. If not, then great. Reinstall malwarebytes and see how things go. If you are still having problems upon reboot, open system restore and if possible select a restore point that was made before malwarebytes was initially installed. If you do not have one, and the problems are getting worse, it could well mean that the registry may have been corrupted in some way. You may have to do a clean install of windows. Advice on doing this can be found online. Make sure you back up all your important data first! As regards the running process you mentioned, the link below should help.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/process.pl?p=lodctr.exe

Let me know how you get on. Good luck.

George
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi Cloud the best suggestion I can give is Submit a Support Ticket and they can gather your logs and let you know what's going on as this is a very unusual for WSA to be the cause and if infected they will clean it free of charge and if some files need to be whitelisted in the Cloud to correct your issues as it could be a simple thing as that.

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 2
Alright, but reloading windows probably wouldn't work as I've had problems in the past and it never fixes them. The install is never perfect.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
That's why they need to see your logs and they let you know what's up. Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 4
Seems like a corrupted install or uninstall of an application damaged the registry.  You could also have an application conflict between Malwarbytes, and WSA as mentioned.  I would suggest uninstalling Malwarebytes, and see if that resolves the issue. If you have the same problem after reinstalling Malwarebyes then it's most likely an application conflict.  I don't recommend deleting registry keys unless you are sure there safe to remove. You could possibly create an even bigger problem than you already have. Regardless, you should start a support ticket as already mention by TrippleHelix. If you still have the same problem after reinstalling Malwarebytes then Webroot support should be able to pinpoint the issue. If it's due to WSA then they should be able to resolve the issue.  If not you could report it to Malwarbytes at their support forum. The strange Pop about Facebook sound strange. I've never seen this before with WSA. It could be due to several things, but can sometimes indicate that you have an infection. Webroot support can also confirm or elimnate that as a possible issue.

Here is a little info about lodctr.exe
http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/lodctr/28798/
http://greatis.com/vista/Utilities/l/lodctr.exe.htm

Userlevel 2
How do you use regedit?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
How do you use regedit?
Cloud, 

I am not sure how the others here feel, but I consider it to be an advanced tool that is best used by experienced technicians.  There is a huge potential to accidentally do major damage to your computer in there, including some for which there is no repair other than re-installing Windows.

Tread  very very carefully in there please.  

:)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I don't recommend it at all I don't even play with my registry or use Registry Cleaners as it does cause more issues than good just contact support and they will help you!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I don't recommend it at all I don't even play with my registry or use Registry Cleaners as it does cause more issues than good just contact support and they will help you!

Daniel
I have 15 years experience in computer build and repair.  I DO use regedit.  There is very little I will do in there 'on my own'.. I almost always seek advice from those with more experience than me before I do much of anything in there.

Oh.. and I do not generally use Registry Cleaners.  While they are usually OK and bad results are rare, in the cases that bad results happen they are REALLY bad.

:)
Userlevel 4
I'm fairly experienced working with the registry. Enough so to not recommend doing it since you have not worked with the registry before. There's potential to cause severe damage to your system that may only be fixed by doing a reformat your machine.  If you want to learn how to work with the registry then wait until you have a backup image to restore your PC to incase something goes wrong.  Start doing research on it first, and work your way up from the bottom.  We all had to start with the bottom rung of the ladder at one time. Start a support ticket, and allow Webroot support to assist you.

In the future I highly recommend making backup images of your drive before installing new software. For example:  I myself had to role back my Laptop yesterday due to Microsoft's updates locking my PC at shutdown. At shutdown it continued to say installing updates, and not to shut down the computer untill the updates had completed installing. It continued to say this almost 2 hours later. I had to hold the power button in, and do a hard shut down. At reboot windows informed me the update installed correctly, but I did not want to take any chances since potential problems from a corrupt install may not arrise until later. I rolled my disk back with an image I created 2 days prior to this. In my experiance making backup images is always the best route to go whether it be from a corrupt install, application conflict, or an infection.
Userlevel 2
DavidP is right. You DO need to know what you`re doing as regards the registry. It is basically an index that tells the Windows OS where everything on your PC is. Remove the wrong thing, and that process/program will never run. As stated, I`m a fully qualified Comptia A+ IT Tech. I have had to guide customers through this process over the phone when I worked for Virgin Media IT Tech Support, when they had problems with Virgin`s AntiVirus software. It`s not easy, especially when they don`t know what they`re doing. If you do not know how to run Regedit in the first place, then PLEASE stay away from it! Unless you want to reinstall your whole OS again! I only mentioned using Regedit and CCleaner  as I know from personal experience that removing any entries relating to uninstalled programs/antivirus software can cure a lot of problems. Not all entries are removed when you uninstall a program. Norton and Kaspersky are classic examples. Over time these can clutter the registry or even affect fresh reinstalls of the programs themselves. But please, in this instance,  play it safe. Personally, I don`t think your problems are due to WSA but raise a Support ticket as suggested in previous posts, uninstall Malwarebytes (you don`t really need it with WSA installed), and go from there...Hope this helps.
George
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
DavidP is right. You DO need to know what you`re doing as regards the registry. It is basically an index that tells the Windows OS where everything on your PC is. Remove the wrong thing, and that process/program will never run. As stated, I`m a fully qualified Comptia A+ IT Tech. I have had to guide customers through this process over the phone when I worked for Virgin Media IT Tech Support, when they had problems with Virgin`s AntiVirus software. It`s not easy, especially when they don`t know what they`re doing. If you do not know how to run Regedit in the first place, then PLEASE stay away from it! Unless you want to reinstall your whole OS again! I only mentioned using Regedit and CCleaner  as I know from personal experience that removing any entries relating to uninstalled programs/antivirus software can cure a lot of problems. Not all entries are removed when you uninstall a program. Norton and Kaspersky are classic examples. Over time these can clutter the registry or even affect fresh reinstalls of the programs themselves. But please, in this instance,  play it safe. Personally, I don`t think your problems are due to WSA but raise a Support ticket as suggested in previous posts, uninstall Malwarebytes (you don`t really need it with WSA installed), and go from there...Hope this helps.
George
I agree but it's always better for them to use and old AV with there Uninstaller Tool and DavidP did I nice list here for most of them. http://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie/Software-Removal-Tools/td-p/27608#.UboJrpzNkbI

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
George
I agree but it's always better for them to use and old AV with there Uninstaller Tool and DavidP did I nice list here for most of them. http://community.webroot.com/t5/Techie/Software-Removal-Tools/td-p/27608#.UboJrpzNkbI

Cheers,

Daniel
If there are any that anyone needs and does not see listed.. please put a reply on the thread.  If we can find an uninstaller we will add it!
Userlevel 2
Good list of uninstallers. Nice idea, especially 3rd part ones being in "warning red". Well done.  Saves trawling through the vendors website looking for them. However, Removal Tools can still leave traces of the program behind, even after running them several times. I know. I`ve checked! Sometimes I have had  to manually remove left-over folders etc. But that`s just me being a perfectionist! Doesnt cause any problems if they are left on there...

George
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes that is true and I use Revo Uninstaller Pro and it does a great job removing programs and registry entries but at times it leaves behind some empty folders but you can do a search and find them and delete them manually.

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Hi Daniel:
    I  use Geek Uninsaller I prefer this over Revo but that is just my preference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi Daniel:
    I  use Geek Uninsaller I prefer this over Revo but that is just my preference.
Hi Tony,

I have the paid Pro version of Revo as it works much better than it's free version. But to get back on topic the OP needs to contact support to find out was is going on with his system.

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
The lodctr and unlodctr activity looks to me to be related to a Windows update. The logs the support agent collected show a windows update in progress at the time of the reported issues.

Regarding the messages you're seeing, they only pop up for just a second or two, so that's normal. There isn't much to those messages besides WSA basically saying "Well this is new. I'm looking at it." Unless you look up the file names online and do some research, unknown files are exactly that - unknown. So it's not possible to have better info for you right away. The logs of this are accessible, but they are intended for support because they are hard to understand if you don't have some requisite knowledge of the files you're trying to learn about.

Does it look like your updates are completing properly, or do you have any that keep failing? On the audio cd, have you tried more than one or two? Scratched ones will do that sometimes. Windows just looks at it and thinks "I don't know what this is" and kind of gives up.

I hope this helps.
Userlevel 2
Okay, so they said webroot is working properly. Also, malwarebytes had another corrupted database issue, and after a uninstall and reinstall it now seems to work right. But all the other problems (see below) remain. 1) Webroot had a pop up that covered half my screen saying something about some program. The problem is that it popped up and went away so fast I couldn't read it. I think it said facebook. I don't use facebook. 2) I get pop ups in the lower right corner. They're small and I never get to read them. 3) Apparently something called lodctr.exe keeps trying to install something every time I log in but I was just notified of this a while ago, a good while AFTER logging in. 4) There are no logs of any of this. Why don't you save logs of this crap so I can go and see what happened? 5) I have the program set to not fade messages out and to not force non critical messages into background, yet I do not get to read these messages. Why? 6) Malwarebytes pro now takes forever to start up after logging in. This is after an update caused it to have corrupted files and I had to reload it. (THIS HAS BEEN FIXED APPARENTLY NOW.) 7) I cannot play audio CD's. Media play freezes up when I try. No idea why.
Userlevel 2
Any new advice?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Alright, but reloading windows probably wouldn't work as I've had problems in the past and it never fixes them. The install is never perfect.

@ wrote:
Any new advice?
When was the last time you did a clean reinstall of the OS? If I had continued issues that's the first thing I would do IMHO! And why do you have problems when doing so it could be some bad hardware? Only Guessing

Daniel
Userlevel 2
I'm not reinstalling the OS. I had so many problem with another AV, worse than this, and have reloaded my OS so many stupid times that I'm just no doing it any longer. What hardware could cause such issues?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I'm not reinstalling the OS. I had so many problem with another AV, worse than this, and have reloaded my OS so many stupid times that I'm just no doing it any longer. What hardware could cause such issues?
I don't think it's because of WSA unless you're blocking certain files or what ever so my advice would be do a complete reinstall of the OS like I said if I was having continued issues that's the first thing I would do. And I have been Beta Testing WSA since very early 2011 even before it's release so I don't think WSA would be the cause or I and other Beta testers would of seen them.

Regards,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
I have to agree with Daniel.  I have been involved in computers and repair for years, and given the multitude of different issues a clean OS install is most likely where I would be heading if I was working on it.
Userlevel 2
But clean installs of the OS do no fix anything. I have tried them. There is always something that works poorly when I do that.