Solved

So many problems

Userlevel 2
This isn't in order because I can't remember the order 1) Webroot had a pop up that covered half my screen saying something about some program. The problem is that it popped up and went away so fast I couldn't read it. I think it said facebook. I don't use facebook. 2) I get pop ups in the lower right corner. They're small and I never get to read them. 3) Apparently something called lodctr.exe keeps trying to install something every time I log in but I was just notified of this a while ago, a good while AFTER logging in. 4) There are no logs of any of this. Why don't you save logs of this crap so I can go and see what happened? 5) I have the program set to not fade messages out and to not force non critical messages into background, yet I do not get to read these messages. Why? 6) Malwarebytes pro now takes forever to start up after logging in. This is after an update caused it to have corrupted files and I had to reload it. 7) I cannot play audio CD's. Media play freezes up when I try. No idea why.
icon

Best answer by EamonF 17 June 2013, 16:40

View original

71 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi cloud,

Can you please do a clean reinstall? If you do go Here to download a fresh copy and make sure you have a copy of your Keycode as you will need during the reinstall then please Uninstall Reboot and install and let it finish it's install scan and please report back.

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 2
Should I just clean install webroot or the whole OS? So far both have been recommended if I recall correctly. And just to note this will be like my 3rd to 5th reinstall of webroot. I wonder what is causing all these problems... it's bizarre.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Should I just clean install webroot or the whole OS? So far both have been recommended if I recall correctly. And just to note this will be like my 3rd to 5th reinstall of webroot. I wonder what is causing all these problems... it's bizarre.
You have contacted support? If you did what did they say?

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 2
It's always something about running a webroot log scan thing and then I always find that it;s working properly IIRC in the past. But I haven't tried contacting them again yet. I guess I will. I wish I knew what caused these problems. I don't think it's webroot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
It's always something about running a webroot log scan thing and then I always find that it;s working properly IIRC in the past. But I haven't tried contacting them again yet. I guess I will. I wish I knew what caused these problems. I don't think it's webroot.
Yea I would like to also as I have been Beta Testing WSA from the beginning very early 2011 and I never have constant issues on 2 laptops and 5 VM's. XP to Win 8.1 Preview and this thread is getting quite long so I suggest to keep in contact with support as they can gather logs and even do a remote session if need be.

Regards,

Daniel
Userlevel 2
I copied the post I made to their customer service.
Userlevel 2
They're telling me to reinstall it. Again. I should let you know, in regard to the media player issue I tried deleting both sets of files that I was instructed to delete in the link you provided, and that didn't work. I also tried creating another account to see if media-player would play Cd's in it, per the instructions in that link, and that also did not work. I doubt webroot will help me with this since it's not webroot related. Although, I am starting to wonder if I've been hacked. It seems that since around the turn of this year my PC has had many problems.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
They're telling me to reinstall it. Again. I should let you know, in regard to the media player issue I tried deleting both sets of files that I was instructed to delete in the link you provided, and that didn't work. I also tried creating another account to see if media-player would play Cd's in it, per the instructions in that link, and that also did not work. I doubt webroot will help me with this since it's not webroot related. Although, I am starting to wonder if I've been hacked. It seems that since around the turn of this year my PC has had many problems.
You might half to take it to a repair shop to get your hardware checked out? Also you could look for hardware updates like a BIOS update for your mother board, drivers for the Video Card and Sound Card. Can you tell me if it's self built or the Manufacturer name of you Computer or Laptop?

Regards,

Daniel

Also going through this whole thread you never did give us the specs and what OS you are using?

@ wrote:
Could be can you tell us the specs of your system self built or name and the OS?

Thanks,

Daniel

@ wrote:
I will later after I remember them. Are these programs legit? Trying to look them up only gets one links to potentially shady sites, so I thought I'd ask. csrss.exe ism.exe mobsync.exe lsass.exe services.exe smss.exe wininit.exe
Userlevel 2
Ah, sorry.

I think it's a amd 4170 FX processor (it was the one with the fastest stock clock speed in history)

8 gigs ram amd hd6870 vid card not sure on the motherboard.

It's low to mid end is all that I recall.

Good power supply, it shouldn't be the cause.

It's self built. I wonder about the sound card thing.

I usually don't install the software for the on-board sound processor as I use a DAC. But I did. I wonder if that could cause it. How do I remedy that? Just delete the program? Video card should be up to date. Or not too out of date at least.

And windows 7 64

And a repair shop is just too expensive plus I don't really trust them to fix it properly. I recall hearing someone say they paid $70 just to get their pc dusted out once.

And on that note, could it be dust?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Ah, sorry.

I think it's a amd 4170 FX processor (it was the one with the fastest stock clock speed in history)

8 gigs ram amd hd6870 vid card not sure on the motherboard.

It's low to mid end is all that I recall.

Good power supply, it shouldn't be the cause.

It's self built. I wonder about the sound card thing.

I usually don't install the software for the on-board sound processor as I use a DAC. But I did. I wonder if that could cause it. How do I remedy that? Just delete the program? Video card should be up to date. Or not too out of date at least.

And windows 7 64

And a repair shop is just too expensive plus I don't really trust them to fix it properly. I recall hearing someone say they paid $70 just to get their pc dusted out once.

And on that note, could it be dust?
Ok have a look inside your case to see if it is dirty if so go to your local computer products store and buy a can of Dust Off and easily blow it out and make sure you take it outside. Make sure your SATA Hard Drive cables are clear of any Power cables also make sure all the PCI components are set in place properly you might have to take them out to check them and put them back securely. When was the last time you did a Check Disk and Memory Check? And again check for Driver Updates for your components and find out the name and model number of the Mother Board and look for BIOS updates.

Otherwise I don't think it's a WSA issue causing your problems.

Daniel
Userlevel 2
I agree that WSA isn't the issue (not directly anyway. I may have been hacked. I'm not rulling that out yet).

Motherboad updates I'm uncomfortable with as they can really go wrong. This one came with the drivers for my cpu when it came out so I shouldn't need to update the BIOS. But I will do the rest.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I agree that WSA isn't the issue (not directly anyway. I may have been hacked. I'm not rulling that out yet).

Motherboad updates I'm uncomfortable with as they can really go wrong. This one came with the drivers for my cpu when it came out so I shouldn't need to update the BIOS. But I will do the rest.
Motherboards often have both updated drivers (For the OS) and BIOS updates.  Leave the BIOS updates alone if you are not comfortable doing that, but if there are non BIOS updates for the motherboard you should go ahead and install those.

My own experience in updating a BIOS is that it is not all that difficult, but you are quite right that if something does go wrong it goes very wrong indeed.  I avoid BIOS updates on my own computer unless there is a compelling reason to install them.
Userlevel 2
When you say keep the stat cables clear of power cables do you mean that the electromagnetic field emanated by the power cable can effect data on the sata cable? How far clear of each other must they be?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
When you say keep the stat cables clear of power cables do you mean that the electromagnetic field emanated by the power cable can effect data on the sata cable? How far clear of each other must they be?
Yes very much so, far enough like a few inches and not tied together!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
It is common practice to cable tie all POWER cords together, to keep things tidy and away from things like power fans.  This is also often done though to keep those cables away from the data cables.  The power cables are tied together and routed in a way to keep them away from the data cables to avoid the interference they can cause to each other 🙂
Userlevel 2
I tried dusting. I've moved the cables as far from each other as possible. I've updated my graphics drivers (which were already up to date actually). I haven't run those diagnostics yet. But I still can't play CD's by going into "computer" and then playing the CD from there. No matter if I right click and then click autorun or just double click the CD icon, it doesn't work. I finally figured out how to play CD's AFTER starting media player. They really make that a pain in the ass hiding the icons all over the place and whatnot. One CD says I need NT service pack 4 or some crap whenever I try to play it from the "computer" file.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Have you tried to uninstall WSA to see if everything works? If it still doesn't then it's not WSA problem and there is only so much that we can do for you it could be so many things like if the cables were to close or tied together then you need to do a complete OS reinstall because something got corrupted or it's a hardware issue? But uninstall WSA and check everything and if everything is working then reinstall WSA and you are going to have to Submit a Support Ticket as they can gather logs and see if it's WSA or not?

Daniel
Userlevel 7
As far as the audio cds are concerned, that sounds to me like possibly Windows doesn't know what your default player is for cda files. Try this: right-click the cd and use "open." Right-click any of the cda files and use "open with." Select "Choose default program." Then select your media player. That might help. I'm curious to know what the full text on that NT message is too.
Userlevel 2
"This program requires Windows NT 4.0 with Service Pack 4." That CD has no files in it apparently.

When I tried what you said with another CD there was no option to select my default program.

There was only an option to use this program every time, and that was just a check box which didn't really change anything.
Userlevel 2
Okay

1) I moved all the cables around to keep the power cords as far from the sata cables as possible

2) I dusted

3) I updated my vid card and the updater told me it was already up to date

4) I ran the disk and memory diagnostics and both said there were no problems with my hardware

5) I re-installed webroot. This time when looking under system cleaner settings right after install, just like last time I installed it, it gave me a pop up as soon as I tried to click one of the options on the left hand side (I think the option I clicked was "Applications"). The pop up said "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive 😨.". This pop up could not be closed no matter what I clicked on... Continue, Cancel, the X button in the right top corner, right clicking and closing in the task manager and on the bar at the bottom of the screen all failed to close this pop up. The task manager also said webroot had frozen up. This happened just as it did the last time I installed. Don't know why.

Also, the settings windows still flcker every several or 10's or seconds when I'm messint around under the settings button (in hte upper right corner).

Don't know why.

And I still can't play CD's from the "Computer" window.

I'm not sure this is a hardware problem. Maybe it's some sort of program conflict?

Oh, and I couldn't play CD's like that with webroot uninstalled either, so it's not webroot that's freezing up the player.

Userlevel 7
Cloud,

Well... I am glad it's not Webroot causing the problems! I don't know if anyone else has further ideas that might help, but even with my 15 years experience PC troubleshooting I am about out of ideas that can be done without actually having the computer up on my own workbench 😞