Something changed with W toolbar icon - can't copy userid or pw

Userlevel 3
Hi,
I'm browsing with Firefox on Windows 10. Things changed recently.

I used to click the W icon on the upper right toolbar and it would display a logon screen near the center of the screen. Once logged in, I could visit a site, and then I could click the W and see  the 'Show Mathching Sites' line, hover my cursor over that, then select the site, and from there it would open a menu of options, including the items "copy userid" and "copy password". I would then be able to copy the userid to go paste into another dialog and then come back in a moment and copy the password and copy that into a dialog. The dialog is not on the open web page - it's a separate program that requires the same userid and password that I use to login to the site that I have open. I don't think Webroot recognizes the program because it never asked if I want to save the site when I fillin the dialog. Probably because it's not a site. Anyway,...

Now when I click on the W it has a dropdown login screen instead of the centered login screen. No so bad. Once logged in, I go to the site whose userid and password I need to copy, I click on the W, and the drop down dialog has the familiar "Show Matching Sites". Hovering the cursor no longer works, but clicking on it does take me to a screen with the site listed, and clicking on that takes me to the options, but I no longer see "copy userid or the "copy pasword" options. Where did they go? Is there a way to enable these options again? This was such a useful feature and it seems I've lost it. Did something change with Webroot, of is it possible something changing with Firefox of Windows that explains the different behavior. Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Scott

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello  MystrTiger,

I am sorry you are having this issue. Please Submit a Support Ticket or call Webroot and they will certainly check this out for you. I believe they are aware of this issue.

Mon - Fri 7:00 AM to 7:00 PM (MST)
Tel: https://tel:+18666124268

Submit a Support Ticket

Hope this helps?

Userlevel 3
Thanks for your reply Sherry. I opened a support ticket per your recomendation.

Cheers,
Scott
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Scott,

You are most welcome! Please if you get a chance to let us know how things turned out.

Have a great day!:D
Userlevel 7
Just trying to confirm, @, did you use a different email than the one you used to register for your Community account? Otherwise, I'm not seeing any recent ticket. Just wanting to make sure you get promptly taken care of 🙂
Userlevel 3
Hi JP,
Thanks so much for your question! I had forgotten to change my email which is no longer valid - I just now updated with my current email. I checked the support ticket and did not see a reply yet, so maybe this will help! 

Cheers,
Scott
Userlevel 3
Update: On Apr 26 2017 Webroot replied to my service request and stated that they are working on a solution which will be automatically delivered in an upcoming software version release.   
Userlevel 3
Update: A few weeks ago I think a new version was automatically installed (things looked a little different plus there is now a new "check mark" icon next to the "W" icon on the top right of my browser). Unfortunately, the problem I have still exists where I don't see  way to copy a password. Instead, I have to open the edit panel and copy the password that way, and in order to do that I have to make it visible which seems like a potential security issue in itself.

Anyway, I sent another note to support to ask them about the status, so maybe they are still working on a solution. I don't understand why they can't just revert things back to when they worked - it's not like new code has to be written to provide the missing function, unless maybe they have made changes such that re-establishing the old code is not possible. In any event, I remain patient and positive that they are working on a solution - I can only wish them the best of luck in case it's becoming a difficult fix as I've had a few of those myself.
Scott
Userlevel 3
OK, new update: I received a request from support to run a log-gathering utility which I just did, so maybe they will be able to see what happened to the the "copy passord" button. Since they already knew about the issue and were working on a solution, maybe they did fix it but it did not get completely fixed for my environment. I'm only guessing at this point, but at least they are looking at my situation specifically. Progress is being made!
Scott
Userlevel 7
Appreciate you giving us the update, Scott.

Our Support Team is the Best! (I am quite biased, once in Support, always for Support)
They'll for sure get to the root of the problem, just be a little patient :cathappy:
Userlevel 1
I noted this, too... and hated the new format. Much less user-friendly, especially not being able to right-click and copy username/passwords. Whenever I have problems with installing or using the WRSA Password extension in Firefox, I go to this site: http://www5.nohold.net/Webroot/ukp.aspx?pid=10&vw=1&solutionid=2438 and follow the instructions (i.e. download to desktop [easiest place to find it should it get lost], extract files, drag the file into Firefox's "Add-ons"/"Extensions" area). After removing the "new" toolbar from Firefox, I downloaded the fix at the site mentioned above, and viola, back to normal 🙂 Not sure what browser you use, but the link is quite helpful and has other information in it as well. Good luck!

- Sara
Userlevel 7
@ thank you so much for sharing that! Definitely a big help to anyone who finds this Thread :cathappy:
Userlevel 3
Thanks, Sara, for your suggestion - much appreciated. 

JP, thanks so much for your posts - they help cheer me up. You wrote:
Our Support Team is the Best! (I am quite biased, once in Support, always for Support)
They'll for sure get to the root of the problem, just be a little patient https://

Yes, I used to be in support a long time ago, fixing bugs and helping customers solve problems. I also like that you appear to be a real person and not some elaborate AI program. Unfortunately, my latest adventures with Webroot support have left me a bit disillusioned. Support has asked me to gather logs, clear the Firefox cache, delete and re-install the Webroot tool bar, and then gather more logs with a screen shot when I see the problem. I  asked them to please verify they understood my issue since it was not what I was seeing, but what I was *not* seeing, namely the "copy password" and "copy userid" buttons which I so much enjoyed having.  Anyway, after all of that, they responded with:

"Thank you for bringing the issue you are experiencing to our attention. The Webroot Development team has been notified of this issue and is currently working on a resolution. This issue is related to the infrastructure that Webroot uses and is not related to the program on your computer nor the computer itself. "

I mean no disrespect to anyone here or in support, but I am not sure they really understand the "issue" because never once has anyone in support said they are working on restoring the "copy password" and "copy userid" buttons, only that they are working on the "issue". This is what I wrote back to them:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is what you said in April when I first reported this issue:

"Thank you for bringing the issue you are experiencing to our attention. The Webroot Development team has been notified of this issue and is currently working on a resolution. We expect to address this issue in an upcoming software version release, which will be downloaded automatically to your computer and installed when it is available."

Then, after the new release and the issue still unresolved, you requested various things each time I contacted you: 1) a log gathering, 2) a clearing of the Firefox cache, 3) a delete and re-install of the Webroot tool bar, and 4) another log gathering, this time with screen shots.

Now you come back with:

"Thank you for bringing the issue you are experiencing to our attention. The Webroot Development team has been notified of this issue and is currently working on a resolution. This issue is related to the infrastructure that Webroot uses and is not related to the program on your computer nor the computer itself. "

We are right back to square 1.

Seems to me you not reading my posts and just replying with boiler plate responses designed to keep me temporarily satisfied that something is being worked on and giving me various tasks to do to, perhaps in an attempt to exhaust me into finally giving up. I asked that you please verify my issue, that the "copy password" and "copy userid" button were there at the earlier release and are now gone, but you never really reflected back to me that you understood the issue, only that you are working on it.

I feel as though I'm not really talking with a real person but instead with some elaborate AI program that knows how to respond with ""Thank you...we are working on it" and then randomly asks for diagnostics.

Please, respond with something like "Yes, we know the 'copy password' button used to be a feature, and we know it was removed, and we are working on a solution to restore the 'copy password' button." Then I might think you a a real person and that you are really working on restoring the 'copy password' button and not just giving me a canned line of "working on the issue". You can even tell me something like "we really goofed and to get the 'copy password' button restored is a huge effort and we might not get it done until sometime next year - maybe not even then depending on so many other higher priority items that will help protect you from the hackers and scammers." Trust me, I want you to work on the higher priority stuff, but I also would appreciate a real answer that is honest - trust me, I can take it. At least I can look at other password container type products that have what I need for now instead of waiting for a resolution that may never happen.

Your product in all other ways is really wonderful and I am behind you guys, but please just give me an honest answer from a real person so I can have a reasonable expectation and make whatever adjustments I need on my end.

Thanks,
Scott
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said, I mean no disrespect to anyone here or in support, and at this point I am not angry or all that dissatisfied, but I am quite disappointed and left feeling very disillusioned. I hope you will not blame me for feeling that way, and I hope my post does not get me kicked out of the community or dropped from Webroot support. I wish the best for everyone and I honestly understand the trials and tribulations of working in support and trying to keep customers happy. 

OK, I thinks that's enough for now. I've probably said too much as it is. :)

Best wishes to you JP, and the rest of the community, and all who are here to make life better by protecting us from those evil hackers and scammers! :)

Kind Regards,
Scott
@

I understand your frustration with Support as I've experienced similar runarounds (or at least once) with them in the past 😞. This is why I don't always completely and 100% agree when I hear people here singing about how they are "the best", "ace", "brilliant" etc. (Sorry, @, I note you also have joined this band 😞, no offence to you, particularly as you are really one of the best, if not the best, with the way you run this Community).

What is without doubt is that when you get through to a good Support person, they are good often really good in what they do. But I do sometimes and unfortunately find that it is a bit the luck of the draw.

Having said that, it sounds like we both agree (from what you say in your above post) that even though from time to time Support is unfortunately not all it might be, Webroot's core anti-malware protection product IS currently the best that there is on the market, a product that frankly continues to leave me in awe at how well it has protected me.
Userlevel 3
Thanks for your very understanding words Muddy7! :)

Userlevel 7
Appreciate the kind words @ and @. It really does mean a lot, and both the Support & Community Team are striving to improve our interactions with our users :robothappy: