Stupid Mistake. What should I do?

• 4 October 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2

I was having trouble recently with Google Chrome not starting properly, usually taking 4 or more attempts for it to actually start  and then having multiple instances shown as running in task manager.  I uninstalled and reinstalled it but that didn’t help.  I’m not a very sophisticated user, I should add.  I took every app off my startup list, but that didn’t help either.  I did notice there are a ton of items showing in task manager, most of which I can’t identify.

I tried yesterday to contact webroot support and got someone posing as Webroot tech support after I called a number that appeared to be on a Webroot webpage.  That was the stupid part.  The guy took over my computer using teamviewer and messed around for almost an hour.  Eventually, he told me I had numerous errors from multiple apps and needed updates and cleanup.  I was getting suspicious, but the guy was pretty good at faking the role.  Then he wanted to sell me a firewall which I declined and wanted to charge me for cleanup.  What he really wanted was my credit card info which he did not get.  That ended the conversation.

Should I be concerned about what he might have done to my computer?  I have no files that I have created with passwords, so I think I’m OK there.  No strange activity has occurred on any of my financial accounts.  I’m afraid, however, of using my computer to login to those accounts, thinking there might be malware installed that will capture my passwords.  I’m using my cell phone to access the accounts for now.

Should I take any particular action under these circumstances?

I did uninstall Webroot, used the cleaning utility, and reinstalled it.  Chrome is working fine now.  I’m still now sure what all those apps running are about (the ones I see in task manager). 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Hi @Costnsg 

I am sorry about that but as you have guessed it was a scam.
If I was you I would contact customer support HERE and ask them to take a look at your computer, they will check it to make sure everything is OK and it is free with a current subscription to Webroot.

JtR

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Good to read

Known Webroot Tech Support Scams and How to Avoid Them

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the advice.  I will pursue with customer support as suggested.

Userlevel 2

Hi @Costnsg 

I am sorry about that but as you have guessed it was a scam.
If I was you I would contact customer support HERE and ask them to take a look at your computer, they will check it to make sure everything is OK and it is free with a current subscription to Webroot.

JtR

JtR, I am trying to contact customer support, but to no avail.  Everytime I enter my password it responds with note saying I need to allow cookies.  I use the “allow cookies” button, but that doesn’t see to work either.

I reset the browser settings to allow all cookies but that didn’t help.  If I cut both wrists will that solve my problem?  Just kidding.

Userlevel 7
Badge +54

Sorry that your having problems. 
I will ping the Webroot Community Staff.
@freydrew  @khumphrey 

Userlevel 2

JtR,

This is he message I get when I try to contact support.

“We have already had contact with: Snip Removed email address, Please don’t post personal info on the open forum. TH

Please enter your password below if you wish to continue with your previous conversation. Your password will have been previously emailed to you.”

When I hit the allow cookies button and enter my password, it is not accepted.  I know the password works to get access to my webroot account and the community forum.  I don’t know what previous contact they are talking about, but contacting them is proving quite a challenge.  Probably something I’m doing wrong, but I don’t know what.

Userlevel 7

Hello @Costnsg 

Forget about the “Cookie” Button. Don’t touch it, it a flaw on the Webroot website that needs to be fixed.

Your Support password is different than your Account and Forum password. Support gives you your password for Support tickets. Please press “Forgotten Your Password” and the right password will go to your email address. Put that in as your password.

Userlevel 7
Badge +48

Hi @Costnsg, were you able to get in touch with support? If you’re still having issues you can talk with them over the phone as well. Just let me know and I can send you their phone number. 

Userlevel 2

Hello @Costnsg 

Forget about the “Cookie” Button. Don’t touch it, it a flaw on the Webroot website that needs to be fixed.

Your Support password is different than your Account and Forum password. Support gives you your password for Support tickets. Please press “Forgotten Your Password” and the right password will go to your email address. Put that in as your password.

ProTruckDriver, this was helpful!  I have at least gotten a message to them now.  I appreciate your assistance and also JtR.  Glad to see the moderators jumping in to help out.   

Once I got them a message to support I can see the last time I asked support for assistance back in 2013.  haha