Solved

System Analyzer - Opera memory leak

• 19 January 2013
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 7
I run System Analyzer with Opera running in the background and have got warning that Opera's active process has a possible memory leak, see below.

However if I run the Analyzer with IE9 running in the background and closed Opera I have got no warning, see below.

Therefore, should I be somehow worried?
icon

Best answer by MikeR 22 January 2013, 22:29

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Having Firefox, Opera and Outlook open I get this. :@

TH

Userlevel 7
Thanks TH for sharing your findings. We definitely need some clarification from Webroot folks.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Thanks TH for sharing your findings. We definitely need some clarification from Webroot folks.
We sure do. This is my 8 year old Win XP, SP-3, IE-8 Updated:

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
We sure do. This is my 8 year old Win XP, SP-3, IE-8 Updated:

LOL. No updates, fragmented drive, under-powered CPU, but your system is running smoothly!
Userlevel 7
OK, I might as well post in too... but my results are not very pretty.

Toshiba Satellite L305, Intel Pentium Dual at 1.87 GHz, 3 MB RAM  (Yes its old.. so am I :S )
Windows Vista, missing SP2 (My computer seems to have a networking issue when SP2 is installed)
IE 8, Firefox 17, Chrome (current) all open when System Analyzer ran

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:LOL. No updates, fragmented drive, under-powered CPU, but your system is running smoothly!
I think it's time to put my 2 XP machines to rest and invest in a new computer with more power and Win 7. 😃
Userlevel 7
ProTruckDriver Wrote:
"I think it's time to put my 2 XP machines to rest and invest in a new computer with more power and Win 7. "

Looks like I need to do the same!
Userlevel 7
A memory leak would be if a program requested memory but then never gave it back. Since it says "possible" memory leak, I would keep an eye on Opera's memory usage in task manager. If you notice your computer starting to get laggy and you observe Opera utilizing an unusually high amount of RAM, that would be an even stronger indication of a memory leak.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
A memory leak would be if a program requested memory but then never gave it back. Since it says "possible" memory leak, I would keep an eye on Opera's memory usage in task manager. If you notice your computer starting to get laggy and you observe Opera utilizing an unusually high amount of RAM, that would be an even stronger indication of a memory leak.
OK Jim, thanks for the clarification. In other words can I understand that it doesn't pose any security risks and this is rather a performance issue? Sorry to ask again but  want to be sure.
Userlevel 7
It's definitely a performance issue notification. That's what most of the notifications in System Analyzer are intended to be, and no, it's not a security risk.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
It's definitely a performance issue notification. That's what most of the notifications in System Analyzer are intended to be, and no, it's not a security risk.
Sweet! Thanks Jim for the reassurance 😉
Userlevel 7
This is probably already covered in another thread, but I have a question regarding the result:
"Private information may be stored in cookies on the system."

Does this result reflect a scan of ALL defined Windows Users, or only the user currently logged into the computer that is running the scan?
Userlevel 7
The results will be for the active user that you are running the analysis from. Cookies from the other user profiles will not show up in the report.

Userlevel 7
MikeR,

That would have been my assumption, but thank you for the confirmation!
Userlevel 7
No problem, it was a great question.

It was tested in an XP Professional and Win 8 environment.