Task Manager

Show first post

174 replies

So you mention some changes to Firefox upon reinstall Sherry? What are they?
I have changed the accessibility setting and restarted with no difference. I am loathe to run CCleaner over my registry as it seems to inevitable remove something you need. I could uninstall/reinstall if I have time but it sounds like it made not difference for you without the CCleaner option.
Yeah support sent me a link for a version they thought would fix the problem.  Has not done so. I turned off the web shield and it seemed to work ok for a bit but then PC locked up so bad i had hit the restart button.  Just have to wait for support and I have sent more logs.
Any update on this?  I have literally the exact same issue.  I don't necessarily think it is Webroot enabled (we have the MSP version installed), but when I open Firefox (which works fine by itself) and then open Task Manager, the computer locks up, usually requiring a hard restart.  Other browsers work just fine.  Was any determination found if this was related to Webroot?
Quick update - I did try removing Webroot and it works fine.  So, something related to Firefox Quantum, Webroot, and Task Manager.  This is a new issue - how do we go about resolving this?
Alright, I've been having the same issues as the O.P. in this thread.
From reading a few responses, I've concluded that this issue has nothing specific to do with Task Manager, but rather something to do with Firefox.

I tried following;
1. Closed Firefox and let Webroot run as I opened Task Manager, it opened up without any delay.
2. Closed Webroot and let Firefox run as I opened Task Manager, it opened up without any delay.
3. Closed both Firefox and Webroot as I opened Task Manager, it opened up without any delay.
4. Closed Firefox and let Webroot and Edge as I opened Task Manager, it opened up without any delay.
5. Closed Firefox and let Webroot and Chrome as I opened Task Manager, it opened up without any delay.

Here's where the issues arise;
1. Opened Firefox and let Webroot run as I opened Task Manager, had to wait several minutes as it opened.
2. Opened Firefox and let Webroot run - but turned off the Web Shield, - as I opened Task Manager, it opened up with a slight few seconds delay.

So, as we can surmise from this, the issue seems to be caused either by something within Webroot not liking Firefox, or it's the other way around, where Firefox does not like Webroot.

As long as you close Firefox while using Webroot every time you open Task Manager, you should have no issues until either Webroot or Firefox fixes whatever is the cause of this issue.
To help either one of the two to fix the issue, I would recommend letting both Firefox, as well as Webroot, know about the issue so that they are aware of this and can start figuring out how to fix it as soon as possible.
Userlevel 7
@, please submit a ticket to our Team and they can determine exactly which shield is causing the issue. Thanks!
Badge +9
I am having the same issue.  Even turning off protection did not fix it on my new desktop (2 Xeon processors, 48g RAM, 1Terabyte SSD).  I had to completely uninstall Webroot.  That fixed it instantly.  I have installed another AV that is highly rate by AV Test and have no problems.  But I really prefer using Webroot and hope that the developers are watching this thread.  I would put in a support ticket, but I see that others have already done so.

As an aside, I had an identical slowdown / non-responsiveness running Regedit with Firefox running and Webroot installed.  That also has gone away after uninstalling Webroot.

One last thing - shutting down protection without uninstalling Webroot DID help the situation on my laptop - but who wants to shut down protection every time they want to run task manager?

Can anyone confirm that they do NOT have this issue with the combo of Webroot, Firefox (updated), and Task Manager?
Badge +9
I would be happy to submit a support ticket, but when I enter my e-mail address I am told to enter a password that I have previously been given to continue the conversation.  I haven't started any conversation about this with Webroot Support, and if I've ever submitted a ticket it would have been well over a year ago, I have no idea what the "password that would have been sent to me" was, and I don't see any way to say I don't want to continue a previous conversation, I want to start a new one.  Sounds like Webroot only gives you one lifetime issue to ask for support on...
Badge +9
Thanks, but I can log in to Webroot (site, community, etc.) with no problem.  It appears to be a password specific to an old support ticket that they're looking for - something the message says they sent to me.  There doesn't seem to be an option to say I'm not trying to continute the discussion about that ticket, I'm trying to start something new.

Also, since I have uninstalled Webroot until this is resolved, I won't be able to provide the logging data that others say they are being asked for.  I guess I'll just continute to follow this thread and if there's a solution, I'll get rid of the new AV I installed and reinstall Webroot.
Badge +9
I'm not trying to recover a lost password.  As I said, I don't want to continue a "prior" dialog with tech support.  That would be about something different entirely - I don't even remember what it was, it was so long ago.  I know my general password for Webroot and that is of no use in getting to submit a support ticket.

Also, since I've uninstalled Webroot I cannot do any logging to help troubleshoot the problem.  Maybe most people don't use task manager often, but I use it all the time and keep Firefox running continuously, so I'm not a candidate for helping to solve this problem - it would be too disruptive to my work. 

This is the second time in the past several months that Webroot has been the culprit in an annoying problem, the other being the issue with e-mail images not showing in Outlook. At least that one was solvable by unticking a box in Webroot settings.  Although I will reinstall Webroot if this gets fixed, and will follow this thread to see what happens, I am a little surprised that things like this get by their testing.
Badge +9
I'd be happy to be a beta tester since I have had the issue on three computers including a brand new installation.  Is there a way to sign up, or doesn one have to be invited?
Badge +9
I didn't like the other AV I installed, so I reinstalled Webroot and did this experiment:

I had read that whitelisting taskmgr.exe might solve the problem.  It didn't, but I decided to leave it whitelisted and also whitelist Firefox.  That dropped my time to recover control of my computer from about 5 minutes to about 23 seconds.  Even faster on my less powerful laptop.  I've tried it several times and am consistently seeing much quicker recovery, though not instantaneous like it used to be.  Question: is whitelisting Firefox a mistake?  That doesn't leave all web browsing unprotected, does it?
Badge +9
@ wrote:
I didn't like the other AV I installed, so I reinstalled Webroot and did this experiment:

I had read that whitelisting taskmgr.exe might solve the problem.  It didn't, but I decided to leave it whitelisted and also whitelist Firefox.  That dropped my time to recover control of my computer from about 5 minutes to about 23 seconds.  Even faster on my less powerful laptop.  I've tried it several times and am consistently seeing much quicker recovery, though not instantaneous like it used to be.  Question: is whitelisting Firefox a mistake?  That doesn't leave all web browsing unprotected, does it?
After many successful tries, I got a major slowdown again.  I added tasklist.exe and taskkill.exe to the Whitelist and things seem basically normal now.  Sometimes all works instantly, and sometimes I get a lag up to 10 seconds or so.  Interestingly, Task Manager is still a little slow to close.  Also, if Webroot is running a scan, all bets are off.
Badge +9
I'm stumped again.  Trying to run task manager AND regedit while Firefox was running caused me to lose control for so long that I finally gave up and did a hard reboot.  Now that I'm paying attention, there seems to be a lot of Webroot activity on every startup.  Does it run a scan every reboot?  I've been through the hard reboot several times now this morning and Webroot has scanned every time I restart. 

Also, since I am having to hard reboot, I lose my "allow" configuration and have to start over.  I exported my Webroot settings thinking that would make it easier to set up again, but every time I try to import, the Webroot icon disappears momentarily, another scan is initiated, and my settings are not imported.  I have never had a problem importing Webroot settings before.

Given that Windows Defender seems to be much improved from its earliest iterations and I am a pretty careful user, I may just default to it until / unless Webroot fixes the probelm.  There is not the slightest hint of an issue using task manager and regedit with Firefox running with just Defender as my protection.
Badge +9
I have the Fall Creators update.  It has certainly been problematic for me, but don't you fall outside of the normal Windows update path if you prevent it from installing?  And not receive critical security updates like the Meltdown / Spectre patch?
I just provided this same info in my Webroot support ticket, but wanted to share the info here as well.

'I've had to uninstall Webroot for the moment. Another issue that recently reared its head was my voice comms in Discord would stop working. This just started within the last week. I also play ARK, currently the Aberration map, and my game has been crashing unexpectedly due to an 'audio issue'. This would happen in unison with my Discord audio issue. If the game did not crash, at the very least I would lose in-game audio, yet my main computer audio would remain working fine. I could hear things like email notifications even when the game sound was not working, or Discord audio was not working. 

In my Event Log, AUDIODG.EXE would fault and crash, referencing: C:Windowssystem32NAHIMICV3apo.dll. 

I would close and re-open Discord, but I would get the same initial 'digital buzzing' sound for about 2 seconds, then my audio would quit working. Discord would remain running, and my push to talk icon would light up, but I would no longer have audio comms. I would have no visible errors in Discord, only the event log item that I referenced earlier. 

Rebooting would fix Discord and ARK for sure, but that becomes a pain, especially when Discord audio was crashing every 30-60 minutes. I also tried restarting the Windows Audio service, but that didn't help either. However, I did find that if I disabled (exited) Webroot, I could start Discord up and my audio would work as normal. 

That said, and because I am a heavy gamer, I uninstalled Webroot and installed Norton Security Suite, which is provided free to me from Comcast. I ran all afternoon yesterday with no further Discord audio issues, AUDIODG.EXE crashes in Event Log, or ARK crashes. I realize it has only been about a day, and could be coincidental, so I will run Norton this week to see how my computer runs. If I have further Discord and ARK issues, I'll know it was not Webroot entirely, and can uninstall Norton and reinstall Webroot to continue testing as you requested. If I have no further Discord issues, I may just keep running Norton, which means I won't be able to try the steps you requested in regards to 'Identity Protection'. 

I hope this additional information is helpful. Please let me know how else I can assist. '
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Thanks that does seem to work.
Any resolution on this issue? We're seeing the freezing/delay with Firefox and Chrome and tracked the issue down to Webroot. Affecting a vast array of PC's.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
I experienced the same issue with Windows 10 falls creator 1709 build. Upon disabling webroot the problem dissappeadi. I am convinced as an IT professional that the issue lays with the act.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Sorry predictive email client. Should have read avt anti virus toolkit
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
@ wrote:
I experienced the same issue with Windows 10 falls creator 1709 build. Upon disabling webroot the problem dissappeadi. I am convinced as an IT professional that the issue lays with the act.

Sorry predictive email client. Should have read avt anti virus toolkit
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Read through a few pages here and there and will submit a support ticket, but wanted to throw our hat in there to say we are also getting our computers in the office entirely locking up the second we open up Task Manager on Windows 10. We're not running Firefox however and it even happens to me after a fresh reboot and no other programs launched. Has there been an update on this as the last few pages are going over the Kudos button and Windows Defender which doesn't appear relevant. Cheers.
Hi @,

I submitted a support ticket earlier this week. I got a response of "We have added your case to our escalation process so we can notify you of any change / update regarding this issue."

So, still doesn't appear that they have a fix. I told them I was willing to try a beta when one is released. I can update this post when I have more information from them.
@Yes, I'm basically in the same position with my ticket as well, no fix as yet! 😠
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
In reading the last few posts from this Microsoft Forum: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/opening-task-manager-slows-pc-to-crawl-windows-10/1364be65-bc5c-48e3-9d89-12f78f88efaf, I can confirm that the problem is definately to do with the way Webroot's Identity Protection 'Protects' Chrome (and possibly firefox as well).

A work-a-round is to temporarily change the 'chrome.exe' entry in Webroot's 'Identity Protection' > 'Application Protection', from 'Protect' to 'Allow', then right click Webroot and choose 'Shut Down Protection'. After re-launching Webroot, I'm able to use Chrome with the Task Manager open and it's working fine without freezing up. I have tried to just set it to 'Allow' without restarting Webroot, but that doesn't work. Webroot has to be Shutdown, and then re-launched.

This off course is not an ideal solution as Chrome.exe is then no longer protected by Webroot.