Task Manager

Ok...want to switch to Webroot from Trend Micro but unless I get this issue resolved it won't happen. The computer seems to freeze up to the point where the mouse runs at a crawl for about 5 mins. Now 1 cause at least seems to happen when I open Task Manager. Prior to install it would open in about 2 seconds. Now it takes 20-30 seconds and Task Manager process itself is running at about 23% CPU for that time. I then can barely move the mouse most of the time or do anything else on the PC.  notice the Task Manager icon is blue rather than green so does that mean that Webroot has taken control of Task Manager? I added Task Manager itself as an exception to Allow but it seems to make little difference. Absolutely ruined a presentation I was running the other day.

Turn off Realtime and Web Shield and it opens fine. What can I do to resolve?

174 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +20
Hi Baldrick,

I too understand that it takes time to come up with a solution that won't break other things, however it's been nearly 4 months since I first ran into the issue. This isn't the first time Webroot has been slow to respond to things either.

I started a case with Webroot on 01/05/17; we couldn't get Webroot installed on one of our machines. They said they were working on it; a few months in and they stopped communicating with me, I kept having to follow up and still no solution. Jump to 11/22/17 and still couldn't get it installed ; I had one of our users put on a different AV since he couldn't get it to install. Finally on 01/02/18 we were able to get it installed after the Fall Creators Update.

Back to this issue, it's been affecting me personally. I've had my machine lock up twice whilst trying to write this post. The task manager is a vital part of our users' tool set. We train our users to use the task manager when they need to check performance, see what's running, and end processes. Even after I reinstall Webroot, I'm able to lock up my machine just by opening the task manager and sorting the Apps and Background processes by name.

It's been not only frustrating, but embarrassing to have to explain to not only our users but to management what's been happening. I invite anyone to put themselves in my shoes.

I do surprisingly still like the Webroot client despite the issues that have happened in the last year, but I gotta be honest; from a business standpoint this is unacceptable. I used to be an active part of the community, but since the experiences I've had with Webroot support in the last year, I've been really discouraged from posting because I didn't really have much good to say. Yes, Webroot does protect well and is easy to deploy and manage but when you can't get it installed on certain endpoints and it locks up machines just by opening the task manager - how are you supposed to defend against that?

I'm not trying to bash Webroot - I'm just being honest. I can't say something is good when it's not. We're still using it and I would like to see it get better than it is now. This is a call to action. Support really has done a poor job of followup - I say poor, but I really mean non-existent. They had said to monitor the product releases for updates - I've not seen any since they asked me to over 3 weeks ago. Not really sure what else to do, so I had decided to do my own research and was sharing some of my findings.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @,

I know saying I'm sorry to hear you're having thsee issues and for all the inconveniences hardly helps. :(

Maybe I can get this esculated by @ and see if he can get you further assistance in this matter?

I know I'm having the same issues and hoping that this gets resolved.  Some of are fortunate and aren't having this Task Manager issue but that doesn't help solve the problem or soothe us who are. I have since gone to Process Explorer for the time being....
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ or @ I also have the issue if Google Chrome is open and if I open Task Manager and I have to do a Hard Reboot to get my system back. And some have the same issues with the new Firefox Quantum. Any news on a fix for this?

Thanks,
Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ I also have the issue if Google Chrome is open and if I open Task Manager and I have to do a Hard Reboot to get my system back. And some have the same issues with the new Firefox Quantum. Any news on a fix for this?

Thanks,
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

What's odd is I do not have this Task Manager issue with Chrome. ..So asking Sophia was a great idea to see what's going on if there is any progress/updates about this issue. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ I also have the issue if Google Chrome is open and if I open Task Manager and I have to do a Hard Reboot to get my system back. And some have the same issues with the new Firefox Quantum. Any news on a fix for this?

Thanks,
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

What's odd is I do not have this Task Manager issue with Chrome. ..So asking Sophia was a great idea to see what's going on if there is any progress/updates about this issue. 
But you have the issue with Firefox Quantum right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Thanks,
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

But you have the issue with Firefox Quantum right?
Yes it's been an issue for months now with Firefox Quantum . 😞
Well I have to say, this whole Task Manager issue is odd. I have Webroot installed on numerous Windows 10 machines and was only having the issue using Firefox (59.0.2) on only one of my machines (Windows 10 Pro - KB4088776 OS Build 16299.309). However, the issue went away on that one problematic machine after installing the Windows update dated March 22nd (KB4089848 OS Build 16299.334). Yet on 5 other machines I've had no issues at all, regardless of Windows version or browser. :S

So, for me anyway, I'm not sure whether this is a Webroot problem or a Windows problem?

Just my 2 cents. ;)

BD

Userlevel 7
Badge +54
I have just run Task Manager with WSA running and the laptop froze.
Then ran it with WSA disabled and there was no problem with task manager.
@ wrote:
I have just run Task Manager with WSA running and the laptop froze.
Then ran it with WSA disabled and there was no problem with task manager.
Thanks for the info, Jasper. I spoke too soon. I still have the issue in Firefox on the one machine, but for me the Task Manager issue seems to be related to how many tabs I have open in Firefox. If I have just 1 tab open, I only notice a slight cursor delay. But the more tabs I have open the slower things get. More the 4 tabs open and things get unusable. But I still have the other machines with no problems at all so I really don't know what the issue is. Hopefully Webroot comes up with something soon. 😉
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
I experienced the same issue with Windows 10 falls creator 1709 build. Upon disabling webroot the problem dissappeadi. I am convinced as an IT professional that the issue lays with the act.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
I experienced the same issue with Windows 10 falls creator 1709 build. Upon disabling webroot the problem dissappeadi. I am convinced as an IT professional that the issue lays with the act.
Well I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are trying to say?
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Sorry predictive email client. Should have read avt anti virus toolkit
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
@ wrote:

Sorry predictive email client. Should have read avt anti virus toolkit
Userlevel 6
Badge +20
Hi Sherry,

Thank you for your reply. I think this issue should be escalated, if not already... I'd be pretty shocked to be honest if this wasn't a top priority. From my experience in our environment and reading about the same issue others are experiencing, I can safely say that this is affecting a considerable amount of people that are running Webroot.

I've already reached out to @ (Anna Kim), and she's really good about escalating things, but I think it ultimately falls on the developers and their QA/QC process.

I appreciate the support!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Hi Sherry,

Thank you for your reply. I think this issue should be escalated, if not already... I'd be pretty shocked to be honest if this wasn't a top priority.

I've already reached out to @ (Anna Kim), and she's really good about escalating things, but I think it ultimately falls on the developers and their QA/QC process.

I appreciate the support!
You're most welcome @,

I agree this should be top priority already and I really hope Webroot Developers can fix this Task Manager issue soon. 

Yes you can count on Anna! ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +35
We are investigating this issue which is occurring for customers on Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update with the Spectre/Meltdown patch. We would suggest you check for all available Windows, browser, and Webroot updates, followed by a reboot and see if the issue is still occurring. You may also try disabling Windows Defender, as this has worked for some users. If you are still experiencing the issue, please contact our support team directly so that they can help you with additional troubleshooting, as well as gather additional information to get to get the full scope of impact this issue is causing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
We are investigating this issue which is occurring for customers on Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update with the Spectre/Meltdown patch. We would suggest you check for all available Windows, browser, and Webroot updates, followed by a reboot and see if the issue is still occurring. You may also try disabling Windows Defender, as this has worked for some users. If you are still experiencing the issue, please contact our support team directly so that they can help you with additional troubleshooting, as well as gather additional information to get to get the full scope of impact this issue is causing.
Hi Anna,

Just one thing you can't run Windows Defender in Realtime with WSA so are you saying to turn off Periodic Scanning if one has it enabled?

Thanks,

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Hello everyone,

To add to Anna's information above, there are changes already released in the 9.0.19 branch to address some performance and high CPU issues. There are additional changes coming in the 9.0.20 branch which we expect to be available for preview on the ByInvite and Beta grabwords in the near future. Please check the PC Beta group for upcoming information about 9.0.20 preview availability.

Thanks,

Brad
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thank you Brad and Anna for this information and update. Looking forward to the new Beta! 
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Hi Anna,

Just one thing you can't run Windows Defender in Realtime with WSA so are you saying to turn off Periodic Scanning if one has it enabled?

Thanks,

Daniel

So to answer your question, @, Windows Defender can still operate alongside WSA if it is manually configured to do so. It is in this instance that the option to disable WD would likely resolve the issue. In regards to the periodic scanning, same idea is applicable (disable to try and resolve).

Otherwise, as Anna and Brad have mentioned, Webroot is certainly aware and working to resolve it on our end.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ @ I see no way to run both Windows Defender and WSA in realtime on Windows 10 as when you install WSA it disables Windows Defender by default so I would like to know how to run both? As far as I know this doesn't work anymore: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/How-to-Run-WSA-alongside-Windows-Defender-on-Windows-8-Windows-8/ta-p/23058 so it sounds very confusing to me.

Daniel 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I'm suffering from this issue when using Chrome or FF Quantum and I've now submitted a support ticket be very interested to see what they come up with!! I've tried all the suggested fixes with no success so far. 😠
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Same issue here. Task Manager stops responding and brings Computer to an ABSOLUTE crawl and just about impossible to move the mouse. This is been going on for quite some time, I just wasn't aware that Webroot was cauing the issue. I just assumed it was an issue with build 1709 of Windows 10.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
@I don't whether it is definitely Webroot causing it yet because in my case it only happens when I use Chrome or Firefox as my browser, there's no problem when using Edge or Internet Explorer. The problem for me has certainly appeared since the update to Win 10 build 1709 it wasn't there before. :@
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Thanks for your clarification @. I also agree that 1709 is where a lot of troubles started. Hopefully there will be some clarification soon as it certainly must be driving a lot of people nuts. It's either Webroot, 1709 or a combination of the two.