Task Manager

Ok...want to switch to Webroot from Trend Micro but unless I get this issue resolved it won't happen. The computer seems to freeze up to the point where the mouse runs at a crawl for about 5 mins. Now 1 cause at least seems to happen when I open Task Manager. Prior to install it would open in about 2 seconds. Now it takes 20-30 seconds and Task Manager process itself is running at about 23% CPU for that time. I then can barely move the mouse most of the time or do anything else on the PC.  notice the Task Manager icon is blue rather than green so does that mean that Webroot has taken control of Task Manager? I added Task Manager itself as an exception to Allow but it seems to make little difference. Absolutely ruined a presentation I was running the other day.

Turn off Realtime and Web Shield and it opens fine. What can I do to resolve?

174 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
@ @ I see no way to run both Windows Defender and WSA in realtime on Windows 10 as when you install WSA it disables Windows Defender by default so I would like to know how to run both? As far as I know this doesn't work anymore: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/How-to-Run-WSA-alongside-Windows-Defender-on-Windows-8-Windows-8/ta-p/23058 so it sounds very confusing to me.

Daniel :)
@ If you would like to enable Windows Defender after you have installed Webroot SecureAnywhere, you can. We can provide a utility that will hide Webroot's presence from the Windows Action Center, allowing Windows Defender to run alongside Webroot.

Visit this link to download and run our utility:
Enable Defender
@ wrote:
 If you would like to enable Windows Defender after you have installed Webroot SecureAnywhere, you can. We can provide a utility that will hide Webroot's presence from the Windows Action Center, allowing Windows Defender to run alongside Webroot. 
Enable Defender
Thanks for this info, Lara. Very good to know. :D

BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ @ I see no way to run both Windows Defender and WSA in realtime on Windows 10 as when you install WSA it disables Windows Defender by default so I would like to know how to run both? As far as I know this doesn't work anymore: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/How-to-Run-WSA-alongside-Windows-Defender-on-Windows-8-Windows-8/ta-p/23058 so it sounds very confusing to me.

@ If you would like to enable Windows Defender after you have installed Webroot SecureAnywhere, you can. We can provide a utility that will hide Webroot's presence from the Windows Action Center, allowing Windows Defender to run alongside Webroot.

Enable Defender
Hi Lara!

I/We just didn't know there was a download to be able to but I'm happy just to have WSA run fulltime!

But this could be put into the PUG and even maybe update the KB aritcle or even make a new one?

Thanks for the new info!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote: But this could be put into the PUG and even maybe update the KB aritcle or even make a new one? 

Good idea! I will look into doing that here in a bit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Enable Defender
Thank you so much Lara! This is awesome to know! 😉
Userlevel 6
Badge +20
@ wrote:
We are investigating this issue which is occurring for customers on Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update with the Spectre/Meltdown patch. We would suggest you check for all available Windows, browser, and Webroot updates, followed by a reboot and see if the issue is still occurring. You may also try disabling Windows Defender, as this has worked for some users. If you are still experiencing the issue, please contact our support team directly so that they can help you with additional troubleshooting, as well as gather additional information to get to get the full scope of impact this issue is causing.

Thanks Anna! I've checked all available Windows, browser, and Webroot updates. I'm running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299), Firefox Quantum 59.0.2 (64-bit), and Webroot v9.0.19.43. I just tried to open my task manager, realized that it was not responding and tried to close it, but it was too late... 😞 had to do a hard shut down again. I can hit up support again and see if there's anything else they recommend doing.

By the way, sorry I haven't replied to your messages sooner. I somehow have my notifications turned off so when someone responds to posts I no longer get an email notification; I'll have to look into that.

Thanks again for your help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I'm still currently working with support on this problem, so far without success but I'm still hopeful they can come with a solution. ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
We are investigating this issue which is occurring for customers on Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update with the Spectre/Meltdown patch. We would suggest you check for all available Windows, browser, and Webroot updates, followed by a reboot and see if the issue is still occurring. You may also try disabling Windows Defender, as this has worked for some users. If you are still experiencing the issue, please contact our support team directly so that they can help you with additional troubleshooting, as well as gather additional information to get to get the full scope of impact this issue is causing.

Thanks Anna! I've checked all available Windows, browser, and Webroot updates. I'm running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299), Firefox Quantum 59.0.2 (64-bit), and Webroot v9.0.19.43. I just tried to open my task manager, realized that it was not responding and tried to close it, but it was too late... 😞 had to do a hard shut down again. I can hit up support again and see if there's anything else they recommend doing.

By the way, sorry I haven't replied to your messages sooner. I somehow have my notifications turned off so when someone responds to posts I no longer get an email notification; I'll have to look into that.

Hey @, I was experiencing some similar issues with the notifications as well. Our site recently went through a release and I think this has something to do with it. I don't want to sidetrack this conversation around task manager, but wanted to let you know that I'm looking into this issue with Lithium. 

Thanks! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +20
@ wrote:
I'm still currently working with support on this problem, so far without success but I'm still hopeful they can come with a solution. ;)

Thanks for the update. Let us know what they say. They last told me

"We are currently investigating this issue but any updates on this will be posted as an agent release in the forum.

This forum is available here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Product-Releases/bd-p/ProductReleases"

That was a little over 3 weeks ago.

I'll try them again and see if I get another answer.
Userlevel 6
Badge +20
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Hey @, I was experiencing some similar issues with the notifications as well. Our site recently went through a release and I think this has something to do with it. I don't want to sidetrack this conversation around task manager, but wanted to let you know that I'm looking into this issue with Lithium. 

Thanks! 

Thanks freydrew! While you're at it, the 'thumbs up' button to give people kudos doesn't seem to be working well or at all in Firefox Quantum; it seems to work ok in Internet Exploder :)

If you find that it's working fine in Firefox, let me know and I can check my add-ons/extensions. If you also find the same thing, add it to the list 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
You bet, happy to send that in. 

Hi @,

The kudos issue is most likely caused by an ad blocker/privacy extension like Ublock or the like. Whitelist the Community in those type of addons and you should be able to kudo again. Same thing happened to me using Ublock Origin and, possibly, Privacy Badger. (Can't remember and not at my PC right now) ;)

BD

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@,

I am not having a kudos issue in Firefox. I'd check your extensions? Because Ghostery or/and Privacy Badger can cause an issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
@,

I am not having a kudos issue in Firefox. I'd check your extensions? Because Ghostery or/and Privacy Badger can cause an issue.
@ Right @ was having the same issues and he found that Ghostery was the cause and personally I don't use the above two extensions and use uBlock Origin in both Firefox and Chrome.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/?src=ss

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

HTH,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Speaking of @ we haven't seen him around lately and i know he's from Australia and they have been having some severe weather in the past month or more so I hope he's okay down under? Hi @ I hope you are well?? Please let us know!!

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/australia-weather

Daniel 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Speaking of @ we haven't seen him around lately and i know he's from Australia and they have been having some severe weather in the past month or more so I hope he's okay down under? Hi @ I hope you are well?? Please let us know!!

Daniel :(
Thanks Daniel! He was on Wilders Friday night though..Nasty storm going on there!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Daniel :(
Thanks Daniel! He was on Wilders Friday night though..Nasty storm going on there!!
Thanks Sherry I didn't see him on there but I'm glad he's okay! 😃
I use Ublock Origin, Ghostery, and Privacy Badger. The only one I had to whitelist the Webroot Community on was Privacy Badger. :S

Then I was able to Kudo again. ;)

So it seems that it is different extension/plugins causing this for different users. That's odd. :@
But at least this should point you in the right direction.

BD
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
I use Ublock Origin, Ghostery, and Privacy Badger. The only one I had to whitelist the Webroot Community on was Privacy Badger. :S

So it seems that it is different extension/plugins causing this for different users. That's odd. :@

BD
Excellent illustration @! Thank you! 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +20
@ wrote:

BD
Hey @BurnDaddy,

Thanks for your findings. I actually went through each of my add-ons/extensions and found that neither of them was casing the issue, but rather an option I enabled in Firefox for tracking protection. Once I hit 'Disable protection for this site', the kudos button worked again.

What that actually did was add 'https://community.webroot.com' as an exception to the tracking protection.

So now I can keep my tracking protection and give kudos to people!

Thanks all!

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

BD
@Hey @,

Thanks for your findings. I actually went through each of my add-ons/extensions and found that neither of them was casing the issue, but rather an option I enabled in Firefox for tracking protection. Once I hit 'Disable protection for this site', the kudos button worked again.

What that actually did was add 'https://comunity.webroot.com' as an exception to the tracking protection.

Thanks all!

Very interesting! Thank you for the update on this, and good to know in the event someone else encounters the same issue.
@ wrote:
Hey @BurnDaddy,

What that actually did was add 'https://comunity.webroot.com' as an exception to the tracking protection.

Thanks all!

Hi Webgroot,

Thanks for letting us know. Glad you got it figured out. :D

The odd thing is, I have Firefox's tracking protection enabled as well, but I have no exceptions for the Webroot Community website. So it seems that everyone's setup must just be a little dfifferent in some aspects that the root cause of the Kudos issue is different for different users.

Thanks for posting, it will help others who may have the Kudos issue, and I have learned a few new things about Webroot, too, which is always cool. ;)

Take it easy,
BD
Userlevel 6
Badge +20
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

BD
Hey @BurnDaddy,

Thanks all!

Hi Webgroot,

Thanks for letting us know. Glad you got it figured out. :D

The odd thing is, I have Firefox's tracking protection enabled as well, but I have no exceptions for the Webroot Community website. So it seems that everyone's setup must just be a little dfifferent in some aspects that root cause of the Kudos issue is different for different users.

Thanks for posting, it will help others who may have the Kudos issue, and I have learned a few new things about Webroot, too, which is always cool. ;)

Take it easy,
BD
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing! I guess it really just depends on your Firefox build and configuration (add-ons/extensions) when it comes to this issue. Our findings should help other people encountering this issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Enable Defender
Hi Lara,

I see the file is not on the server anymore so can you check into it please?

Thanks,
Daniel
No problems here, Daniel. DL'd fine.