Task Manager

Ok...want to switch to Webroot from Trend Micro but unless I get this issue resolved it won't happen. The computer seems to freeze up to the point where the mouse runs at a crawl for about 5 mins. Now 1 cause at least seems to happen when I open Task Manager. Prior to install it would open in about 2 seconds. Now it takes 20-30 seconds and Task Manager process itself is running at about 23% CPU for that time. I then can barely move the mouse most of the time or do anything else on the PC.  notice the Task Manager icon is blue rather than green so does that mean that Webroot has taken control of Task Manager? I added Task Manager itself as an exception to Allow but it seems to make little difference. Absolutely ruined a presentation I was running the other day.

Turn off Realtime and Web Shield and it opens fine. What can I do to resolve?

174 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
No problems here, Daniel. DL'd fine.
Not here on any of my 4 Browsers???
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ @ I see no way to run both Windows Defender and WSA in realtime on Windows 10 as when you install WSA it disables Windows Defender by default so I would like to know how to run both? As far as I know this doesn't work anymore: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/How-to-Run-WSA-alongside-Windows-Defender-on-Windows-8-Windows-8/ta-p/23058 so it sounds very confusing to me.

Daniel :)
@ If you would like to enable Windows Defender after you have installed Webroot SecureAnywhere, you can. We can provide a utility that will hide Webroot's presence from the Windows Action Center, allowing Windows Defender to run alongside Webroot.

Visit this link to download and run our utility:
Enable Defender
Hi Lara,

I see the file is not on the server anymore so can you check into it please?

Thanks,
Daniel
I will look into this, @. There's a chance that the link was pulled so they could adjust the functionality, however we won't know for certain until I get a chance to speak with support. I'll keep everyone here posted!
@ wrote:Not here on any of my 4 Browsers???
Maybe it's just for us Yanks? 😃
Userlevel 6
Badge +20
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ @ I see no way to run both Windows Defender and WSA in realtime on Windows 10 as when you install WSA it disables Windows Defender by default so I would like to know how to run both? As far as I know this doesn't work anymore: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/How-to-Run-WSA-alongside-Windows-Defender-on-Windows-8-Windows-8/ta-p/23058 so it sounds very confusing to me.

Daniel

@ If you would like to enable Windows Defender after you have installed Webroot SecureAnywhere, you can. We can provide a utility that will hide Webroot's presence from the Windows Action Center, allowing Windows Defender to run alongside Webroot.

Visit this link to download and run our utility:
Enable Defender
Hi Lara,

I see the file is not on the server anymore so can you check into it please?

Thanks,
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

I got the same thing.

Not sure how others can get to it.

Maybe it's a geographical issue and you guys are trying to pull the file from a different server?

BD
Userlevel 6
Badge +20
@ wrote:

@, do you think you somehow have it cached? I tried in IE, Firefox, and Chrome and I get the same 404. Try clearing your cache and see if you can get to it. I also tried with myself being signed in and not, but I got the same thing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:

Maybe it's a geographical issue and you guys are trying to pull the file from a different server?

BD
It did work when Lara first posted it and I do have the file from that day? But I wanted to tell others at Wilders.
@ wrote:
@, do you think you somehow have it cached? I tried in IE, Firefox, and Chrome and I get the same 404. Try clearing your cache and see if you can get to it. I also tried with myself being signed in and not, but I got the same thing.
Good call, Webgroot. I had DL'd it yesterday, so it was still cached. Upon emtying my cache I can no longer DL.

I'm sure that LLiddell will get to the bottom of it.:)

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Good call, Webgroot. I had DL'd it yesterday, so it was still cached. Upon emtying my cache I can no longer DL.

:p Yanks eh!
@ wrote:
Or whatever it is that you hosers refer to us as. :D

Userlevel 6
Badge +20
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

I was going to say I'm a Yank too and it doesn't work. :)

I thought it could have been a different server, but I thought the cached thing was more likely. Sometimes people here would update web pages and complain about their changes not showing. I would tell them to do Ctrl + F5 in their browser; it's another way to refresh the page without having to clear your cache.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
Hey folks,

Quick update. So support did pull the file as there were some compatibility issues (not sure how some folks might still be accessing it) and they are working on an adapted version. I will create a KB for it once the new one is available.

Wanted to say thank you again for all your work looking into this, as it helps with the troubleshooting process immensely!
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Hey folks,

Quick update. So support did pull the file as there were some compatibility issues (not sure how some folks might still be accessing it) and they are working on an adapted version. I will create a KB for it once the new one is available.

Wanted to say thank you again for all your work looking into this, as it helps with the troubleshooting process immensely!
Thank you for the update Lara! 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Thank You Lara that's the smart thing!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Read through a few pages here and there and will submit a support ticket, but wanted to throw our hat in there to say we are also getting our computers in the office entirely locking up the second we open up Task Manager on Windows 10. We're not running Firefox however and it even happens to me after a fresh reboot and no other programs launched. Has there been an update on this as the last few pages are going over the Kudos button and Windows Defender which doesn't appear relevant. Cheers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +36
@ wrote:
Read through a few pages here and there and will submit a support ticket, but wanted to throw our hat in there to say we are also getting our computers in the office entirely locking up the second we open up Task Manager on Windows 10. We're not running Firefox however and it even happens to me after a fresh reboot and no other programs launched. Has there been an update on this as the last few pages are going over the Kudos button and Windows Defender which doesn't appear relevant. Cheers.
Still working on a solution for the task manager issue, creating a ticket with support is your best bet in the meantime. When there is an update or resolution, I will make it easily visible.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Thankd for the update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
We are investigating this issue which is occurring for customers on Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update with the Spectre/Meltdown patch. We would suggest you check for all available Windows, browser, and Webroot updates, followed by a reboot and see if the issue is still occurring. You may also try disabling Windows Defender, as this has worked for some users. If you are still experiencing the issue, please contact our support team directly so that they can help you with additional troubleshooting, as well as gather additional information to get to get the full scope of impact this issue is causing.

Thanks Anna! I've checked all available Windows, browser, and Webroot updates. I'm running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299), Firefox Quantum 59.0.2 (64-bit), and Webroot v9.0.19.43. I just tried to open my task manager, realized that it was not responding and tried to close it, but it was too late... 😞 had to do a hard shut down again. I can hit up support again and see if there's anything else they recommend doing.

By the way, sorry I haven't replied to your messages sooner. I somehow have my notifications turned off so when someone responds to posts I no longer get an email notification; I'll have to look into that.

Thanks again for your help!
Hey @, I was experiencing some similar issues with the notifications as well. Our site recently went through a release and I think this has something to do with it. I don't want to sidetrack this conversation around task manager, but wanted to let you know that I'm looking into this issue with Lithium. 

Thanks! 

Thanks freydrew! While you're at it, the 'thumbs up' button to give people kudos doesn't seem to be working well or at all in Firefox Quantum; it seems to work ok in Internet Exploder :)

If you find that it's working fine in Firefox, let me know and I can check my add-ons/extensions. If you also find the same thing, add it to the list :)
I just wanted to give you an update from Lithium Support as they just got back to me: 

Thank you for reaching out to us. I have looked the kudos functionality on Firefox Quantum and was unable to reproduce the issue in your stage environment. It would be helpful if we would provide us some screen recording or screenshots of the issue to find the cause of the issue.

If you'd like me to pursue this further, please let me know and send me some screenshots if possible. 

Thanks! 
Userlevel 6
Badge +20
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
We are investigating this issue which is occurring for customers on Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update with the Spectre/Meltdown patch. We would suggest you check for all available Windows, browser, and Webroot updates, followed by a reboot and see if the issue is still occurring. You may also try disabling Windows Defender, as this has worked for some users. If you are still experiencing the issue, please contact our support team directly so that they can help you with additional troubleshooting, as well as gather additional information to get to get the full scope of impact this issue is causing.

Thanks Anna! I've checked all available Windows, browser, and Webroot updates. I'm running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299), Firefox Quantum 59.0.2 (64-bit), and Webroot v9.0.19.43. I just tried to open my task manager, realized that it was not responding and tried to close it, but it was too late... 😞 had to do a hard shut down again. I can hit up support again and see if there's anything else they recommend doing.

By the way, sorry I haven't replied to your messages sooner. I somehow have my notifications turned off so when someone responds to posts I no longer get an email notification; I'll have to look into that.

Thanks again for your help!
Hey @, I was experiencing some similar issues with the notifications as well. Our site recently went through a release and I think this has something to do with it. I don't want to sidetrack this conversation around task manager, but wanted to let you know that I'm looking into this issue with Lithium. 

Thanks! 

Thanks freydrew! While you're at it, the 'thumbs up' button to give people kudos doesn't seem to be working well or at all in Firefox Quantum; it seems to work ok in Internet Exploder :)

If you find that it's working fine in Firefox, let me know and I can check my add-ons/extensions. If you also find the same thing, add it to the list :)
I just wanted to give you an update from Lithium Support as they just got back to me: 

Thank you for reaching out to us. I have looked the kudos functionality on Firefox Quantum and was unable to reproduce the issue in your stage environment. It would be helpful if we would provide us some screen recording or screenshots of the issue to find the cause of the issue.

If you'd like me to pursue this further, please let me know and send me some screenshots if possible. 

Thanks! 
Hey @,

We actually were able to figure it out. @ said he was having the same issues until he disabled one of his add-ons/extensions, and for me the issue was the tracking protection I enabled in Firefox. Once I disabled tracking protection for 'https://community.webroot.com', then my kudos button worked again.

Thanks for looking into this!
Userlevel 6
Badge +20
@ wrote:
Hi @,

I submitted a support ticket earlier this week. I got a response of "We have added your case to our escalation process so we can notify you of any change / update regarding this issue."

So, still doesn't appear that they have a fix. I told them I was willing to try a beta when one is released. I can update this post when I have more information from them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +48
Happy to look into it for you @. Glad that you were able to figure it out! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Hi @,

I submitted a support ticket earlier this week. I got a response of "We have added your case to our escalation process so we can notify you of any change / update regarding this issue."

So, still doesn't appear that they have a fix. I told them I was willing to try a beta when one is released. I can update this post when I have more information from them.
@Yes, I'm basically in the same position with my ticket as well, no fix as yet! 😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
Well I have some promising news and tested for over an hour on a VM!

Webroot SecureAnywhere v9.0.19.43
Windows 10 Spring Release 64bit Windows Insider!

I don't see any issues with Firefox or Chrome and opening Task Manager and again this is on a VM so I will check again when it's installed on my actual PC in the coming week.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
Well I have some promising news and tested for over an hour on a VM!

Webroot SecureAnywhere v9.0.19.43
Windows 10 Spring Release 64bit Windows Insider!

I don't see any issues with Firefox or Chrome and opening Task Manager and again this is on a VM so I will check again when it's installed on my actual PC in the coming week.

Well bad news as I installed the Windows 10 Spring release on my Laptop and I still have issues with Chrome and if I try to open Task Manager as it freezes right up and have to do a hard reboot to get my system back. But for what ever reason I see no issues in my VM's. :@

Daniel
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
In reading the last few posts from this Microsoft Forum: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/opening-task-manager-slows-pc-to-crawl-windows-10/1364be65-bc5c-48e3-9d89-12f78f88efaf, I can confirm that the problem is definately to do with the way Webroot's Identity Protection 'Protects' Chrome (and possibly firefox as well).

A work-a-round is to temporarily change the 'chrome.exe' entry in Webroot's 'Identity Protection' > 'Application Protection', from 'Protect' to 'Allow', then right click Webroot and choose 'Shut Down Protection'. After re-launching Webroot, I'm able to use Chrome with the Task Manager open and it's working fine without freezing up. I have tried to just set it to 'Allow' without restarting Webroot, but that doesn't work. Webroot has to be Shutdown, and then re-launched.

This off course is not an ideal solution as Chrome.exe is then no longer protected by Webroot.