Task Manager

Ok...want to switch to Webroot from Trend Micro but unless I get this issue resolved it won't happen. The computer seems to freeze up to the point where the mouse runs at a crawl for about 5 mins. Now 1 cause at least seems to happen when I open Task Manager. Prior to install it would open in about 2 seconds. Now it takes 20-30 seconds and Task Manager process itself is running at about 23% CPU for that time. I then can barely move the mouse most of the time or do anything else on the PC.  notice the Task Manager icon is blue rather than green so does that mean that Webroot has taken control of Task Manager? I added Task Manager itself as an exception to Allow but it seems to make little difference. Absolutely ruined a presentation I was running the other day.

Turn off Realtime and Web Shield and it opens fine. What can I do to resolve?

174 replies

Userlevel 7
@

Applause not withstanding, what was the magic sauce that @ conjured out of the air to fix this problem, so to speak. 😉
Too much?
😛
Userlevel 7
Methinks that is a trade secret. ;)

After all, if Daniel divulged that, well, then everyone would have the 'magic sauce'. 😃
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
The Falls Creator of windows 10 is certainly the cause of o lot of pc issues. Windows explorer, video drivers, task manager and printer drivers just to name a few. These issues appear to affect pcs even with out webroot avt being installed. I must admit, that maybe I am fortunate in not having experienced any of these issues to date, but I do agree that Falls Creator has a lot to answer for.
@ wrote:
Applause not withstanding, what was the magic sauce that @ conjured out of the air to fix this problem, so to speak. ;)
I happen to know what this so-called "magic sauce" 😠 is, but in the end it's up to @ to let us know if and as he deems appropriate.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Applause not withstanding, what was the magic sauce that @ conjured out of the air to fix this problem, so to speak. ;)
I happen to know what this so-called "magic sauce" 😠 is, but in the end it's up to @ to let us know if and as he deems appropriate.
Even though I wasn't affected by the problem, presumably because I hadn't updated to Windows 10 Build 1709, it would be good to know why. Ever curious! 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Even though I wasn't affected by the problem, presumably because I hadn't updated to Windows 10 Build 1709, it would be good to know why. Ever curious! ;)
Hi Tarnak!

That is an interesting concept that you were not affected by Task Manager like most of here and on the Business side. But I do not think you'd be that curious with having this issue would you be? Because you like your system without any or many changes or deffects. It drove us that were affected CRAZY looking for a solution and also why it was happening. Thank goodness this was resolved by our own TripleHelix intervention!:D

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
@, my apologies for the delayed reply. Thank you for your comments. I have since signed up as a BETA user as well and have downloaded it today to try. Sure enough, it fixed the problem! Very happy now! it's odd that some people with Webroot has this issue, and some don't, but at least the beta seems to have fixed the issue that I was having in relation to this issue.

Just for interest sake. Although not related to Webroot as far as I can tell, I have an issue with a Customer's Web application that won't work in IE on some PC's. Once again, a very peculiar issue, as it will work on one machine with Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise, with the same build and version as another machine. The only difference between the two are the hardware. I've even completely uninstalled Webroot but the issue persists, so it's clearly not related to Webroot. I've tried everything I possible could think and find, but just won't work. Unfortunately the vendor won't assist either as they say no one else is experiencing this issue with their web application. Also, the web application will only run in IE as it requires Enterprise Mode enabled. Oh, the frustrations of IT sometimes! 

That's great news to hear 9.0.20 will resolve the process view issue in taskmgr!

Do we have a 'ballpark eta' for its release? I've just applied for access to the beta group and will wait for that to come through as I'm keen to test it out on a few of the PC's here where not being able to access the taskmgr has been a real pain in the a** and thus a lot of hard resets have been needed with lack of reliable access to the takmgr.

Its only been happening since 1709 (what a dog's breakfast of a release!). I was hoping 1803 would resolve it but to my dismay, I just completed a bare metal build of 1803 and the problem still exists.

In hindsight, I should have started on page 15 of this thread instead of page 1 haha.

Cheers and thanks to everyone involved in resolving this very painful issue.

Troy
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ v9.0.20.31 has been released: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Product-Releases/PC-Agent-release-notes-for-version-9-0-20-31/td-p/319436 if you need to force the update just download the installer and install over top and do a reboot and you will be all set: http://anywhere.webrootcloudav.com/zerol/wsainstall.exe

Thanks,
Just in time for a fix, we get a new Windows Update 1803.  How is everyones experience with Webroot 9.0.20.31 and 1803?
Userlevel 7
Badge +63
@ wrote:
Just in time for a fix, we get a new Windows Update 1803.  How is everyones experience with Webroot 9.0.20.31 and 1803?
Working great here and I haven't seen any complaints from others.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello jasongordon,

I have 1803 running on two of my laptops and there aren't any issues with the Task Manager either!
Confirmed 9.0.20.31 has resolved the taskmgr stall issue for all my devices, thankfully.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
Working great here and I haven't seen any complaints from others.
I am sticking with build 1703 for the time being. Eventually, it will update to a later version. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
Mine is working flawlessly now as well thankfully.
Userlevel 7
I refer to my earlier post, https://[url=https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Task-Manager/m-p/318429#M21267https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Task-Manager/m-p/318429#M21267]here[/URL[/url]] back on page 15 of this topic.  

.... I don't know why, but since about 2 to 3 weeks ago, I can no longer have WIndows Defender operating live with WSA  and that other AV.  Also, Windows Defender would update the definitions almost daily, automatically. Now, I always have to do it manually. Strange! 
Userlevel 7
I can't fix my previous post with the writing down the side of the image... But, this is how it is meant to show:

"I don't know why, but since about 2 to 3 weeks ago, I can no longer have WIndows Defender operating live with WSA  and that other AV.  Also, Windows Defender would update the definitions almost daily, automatically. Now, I always have to do it manually. Strange! "

Sorry, for the inconvenience. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
I can't fix my previous post with the writing down the side of the image... But, this is how it is meant to show:

"I don't know why, but since about 2 to 3 weeks ago, I can no longer have WIndows Defender operating live with WSA  and that other AV.  Also, Windows Defender would update the definitions almost daily, automatically. Now, I always have to do it manually. Strange! "

Sorry, for the inconvenience. 
Hi Tarnak,

Has Windows updated to v1709 by chance?
Userlevel 7
Hi Sherry, 

No, but I did get a cumulative update, recently, and I am at this version, currently - Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.994)
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Well @, I am baffled then. Webroot wouldn't have anything to do with Windows Defender not working I do not think.

I have Windows Defender scanning periodically. Maybe you need to take a look at the Windows Defender Settings? EDITED: I am running v1709 though...

Userlevel 7
Hi Sherry,

I only ever run quick scans for Windows Defender, so I am not too worried. I just can't figure what changed recently on my system that caused the change, that is shown by those 2 images showing the difference in state of Windows Defender [now] with those AV's. Too taxing, to try and figure what led to this change. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Hi Sherry,

I only ever run quick scans for Windows Defender, so I am not too worried. I just can't figure what changed recently on my system that caused the change, that is shown by those 2 images showing the difference in state of Windows Defender [now] with those AV's. Too taxing, to try and figure what led to this change. ;)
Could of been Windows cumulative updates? Oh well it is taxing though. 😉
Userlevel 7
Yes, I am taxed out of my brain sometimes!  :D