The same Google toolbar threat coming in repeatedly

• 27 September 2015
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 4
I even deleted and reinstalled the bar.

This is what Webroot is catching as a threat.
Im not saying its not.

I just do not want my threat count to clime every time it catches it. Can I just block it with out it being registered as one.

googletoolbar_64_34ec.dll in c: programfiles (x86) googlegoogl... component.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Gunner!

What in interesting problem and question!  Sadly, I do not think we can get WSA to simply block it without recording it as a removed threat.  BUT.....

I think, in this case, we MIGHT have another way of being able to deal with this.  Chrome has a security feature that can be both wonderful and infuriating: once an add-on is manually removed, it blocks that add-on from being installed again.  Toolbars are considered add-ons.  You MIGHT try disabling WSA long enough to allow the add-on to install, and then go to add-ons in the browser settings and manually delete it.  Then turn WSA back on again of course!

There MIGHT be some risk to this, as you would have WSA disabled.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to Submit a Trouble Ticket and allow Support to take a look and see what they can come up with!

Userlevel 7
Hi David

I was not aware ot the 'feature' in Chrome that you mention but have just tried the deletion & re-install and it worked for me without a blip...so I am not sure what is going on here?

As to the toolbar itself can it not just be blocked by recording it under 'Block/Allow Files' as 'Block'...again, I have tried that in the past and it seems to have worked although it may just be that something else was blocking the installation/use of what had been marked as 'Block'?

Any thoughts?

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 4
That's exactly what happened.
I had to let my guard down a little for the tool bar to reinstall.

I'm using windows 7 pro. with internet explorer and Google for my search engine.

Everything is back to my original settings but I'm going to look at them again and see if I can do as suggested.
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Hi Gunner

No worries...do let us know what transpires with you re. this.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4

In "settings" I have checked the box in front of = "automatically quarantine previously blocked files."

Is it safe to uncheck that box.
Will the files still be blocked.

The file in question is in the block/allow section checked "block".

That could be the problem. Is that correct ?

Don’t forget that I’m trying to stop my "threats detected" count to stop growing because of this.

Thanks for any reply.

Userlevel 7
Hi Gunner

With that setting on WSA effectively remembers how you responded to an alert, that is, whether you allowed a file or blocked it.

If on/checked WSA will not prompt you again when it encounters the same file but will take the same action as before, including sending it to quarantine if appropriate. So if you blocked a file previously with the check box ticked, and want it restored, you can retrieve it from quarantine.

If you deselect this checkbox, WSA opens an alert every time it encounters the file in the future, i.e., WSA becomes 'noisier' in relation to that and any other file previously encountered, rather than just dealing with it 'quietly' as per the initial encounter.

So, in short, it is safe to uncheck that setting, you will just get more alerts/popups from WSA, and from those additional popups/alert you can chose a different action for the file(s) in question.

In terms of the file in question; if you can see it as set to 'Block' you can change the action either by deleting the entry (not advised) or change the action to what you want it to be, i.e., if you want to allow file in question and are sure that it is safe then change the action to 'Allow'. From what you are describing I would leave the "Automatically quarantine previously blocked file" as is.

I would not worry about your 'threats detected' count increasing...it is only a count and it can be reset to zero if required (let me know if you want to do that).

See if that works; but if not then you could always uncheck the Settings option in question, get the file to be detected again, respond to the alert/prompt when it is detected so that it is allowed, and then reset the Settings option.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
OK,
so even if I have the block/alow set to "block" and the "active conections" set to block,
they will still get through if I uncheck this box. ?

Userlevel 7
Hi Gunner

No, they should not get through if you have 'Block/Allow' set to "Block" and the 'Active Conections' set to "Block", irrespective of whether you deselect this checkbox or not.

What will happen is that if the check box is unchecked WSA will alert every time it encounters the file in the future, and you will have the choice of making a different determination, i.e., WSA becomes 'noisier' in relation to that and any other file previously encountered, rather than just dealing with it 'quietly' as per the initial encounter.

Regards, Baldrick

PS. I am not sure why you have an issue with the screenshot as it gives nothing away that could be material to any hacker or other that might try to access your system. You pretty much have the standard settings.

Userlevel 4
Thank you.
Do you know of a different way to get spell check other than Google Toolbar ?
Userlevel 7
Hi Gunner

YOu are most welcome.

Re. the spellchecking; one can get hold of a spellchecking addon/extension for most of the mainline browsers. I have just Googled "How to get spell checking in browser" and there was a plethora of replies covering Chrome, Firefox and even Opera.

Your best bet is to do the same and then investigate the ones that seem the most used/best rated.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Thanks,
Im giving this a try,
So the google tool bar was disappearing after a few interactions.
I need this bar.

So I decided to start from scratch.
I deleted any trace of the toolbar from folders by typing in google tool bar in the windows search bar.
Then I deleted it from programs and last but not least from webroot complete in total.

I then down loaded the bar again and webroot came up three times during the process and I allowed "once" each one.
They ended up in the allow / block program area. I clicked allow on each one.
There is a 4th file that came up concerning the toolbar but I followed the trail when I got to where it said it would be but it was not there, so I blocked it.

The pc is running great and the bar is still there. Heres the file I blocked.
        =    gooad 90 .tpm in c: program files (x86) google googletoolbarnotafier

Heres something interesting. I did a google search on one of the files in this thread and this thread came up.

Userlevel 4
Just an update.
The bar is still there.