Solved

UAC on login?

• 6 February 2013
  • 7 replies

Hello,
since about a week ago on every login I get an UAC popup asking permission to run WSA.exe -ls. Any ideas what to do to get rid of this? My personal impression is this started after a (major) update to webroot. System is Windows 8 x64.
icon

Best answer by MikeR 6 February 2013, 18:59

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Search for and click on  "User Account Control Settings">Change your setting to "Never notify" IF you would like to stop receiving these messages.

I keep mine off, they sure can be annoying. ;)

Update: I am not advising the average user to turn UAC off. I am simply showing the steps to decrease the persistant warnings given by UAC. Only experienced users should change these settings.

Hi,
I like to keep it at the highest level and I not get very often UAC alerts, except now the webroot stuff. Still thank you for your suggestion.
Userlevel 7
You probably mean WRSA.exe rather than WSA.exe since WRSA.exe is the correct name of the executable.

The switch it's triggering suggests to me that you may need to uninstall/reboot/reinstall to get around this issue.  Please give that a try and let us know if it helps.  :)

Edit: I had this page open too long before posting, so I just saw your reply.  It looks like you have UAC cranked up to maximum.  It's to be expected you're going to see more prompts with it set as high as it can go.
@ wrote:
You probably mean WRSA.exe rather than WSA.exe since WRSA.exe is the correct name of the executable.

The switch it's triggering suggests to me that you may need to uninstall/reboot/reinstall to get around this issue.  Please give that a try and let us know if it helps.  :)

Edit: I had this page open too long before posting, so I just saw your reply.  It looks like you have UAC cranked up to maximum.  It's to be expected you're going to see more prompts with it set as high as it can go.
You're probably right on the name. I will try reininstalling webroot later. On the UAC issue, as said this only started last week, never had the problem, since Windows 8 was released. Still Windows 8 is much less annoying with it's UAC prompts compared to Windows 7. Actually it feels like it only pops up, when I try to install something or try to alter some files that require elevated right.
Userlevel 7
Loading a service requires an elevated permissions level too. I'd suggest to try ticking it down a notch to test your theory and see if the prompts return.
Hello,
reinstalling fixed the issue, even with UAC set to the maximum. Almost forgot how easy it was to un/reinstall webroot. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Userlevel 7
Thank you for updating the thread, it will be useful for others who have similar questions.