Solved

Uninstalled, but contextual menus remain

• 11 August 2013
  • 30 replies

I uinstalled WSAC through the Programs and Features area in Windows as normal.  Yet, the contextual menus on right-click for Scan with Webroot and Permanently Erase with Webroot remain, even though they do no work.  I cleaned the reg with CCleaner, and also ran the Webroot cleanup tool, but they are still there.  How do I completely remove Webroot from my system?
icon

Best answer by Rakanisheu Retired 13 August 2013, 11:46

View original

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Kenellrt, welcome back!

I could be wrong, but you may need to re-install WSA on the affected computer.  After that, instead of going through Programs and Features to remove it, you might try to unistall from the Webroot listing in the Programs menu, though the Start button, or by using the deactivate control from the Account Console.

If neither of these works, you might want to file a Trouble Ticket.
I'll try that. Any other suggestions?
Userlevel 7
Well, give those a try first, see if they will work.  If not, let us know and hopefully someone else with have additional suggestions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
After you tried David's suggestions and if continues please do a reboot to see if it's still there? If it is Please Download and install Revo Uninstaller Free from David's Software Removal Tools List then install WSA again reboot then uninstall WSA with Revo Uninstaller and at the second stage make sure Advanced Mode is checked and scan for left overs and delete all found then reboot and check again if it's still there. If it's still there I have one more Idea.

HTH,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hello https:///t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/5460,
The Webroot removal tool you mention in your post is only for 2011 versions and older. It has no impact on modern versions as they are a completely different architecture. Webroot may want to modify it to make that clear.

Although I have the registry key you can remove to fix this, I hestitate to post instructions like that. I encourage you to open a support ticket, they will quickly reply with the instructions you need to resolve this. You don't need to register.

https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp
Userlevel 7
@

Like Daid said just try to re-install WSA and then uninstall through Control Panel like you normally do. Please make sure you're connected to the internet during the uninstallation.
Userlevel 7
Please, not through the control panel just in this situation.  Use the Uninstall found in the program listing in the Start menu, or use the deativate function, or use the suggestion that TripeHelix made.  

The Control Panel is how the OP originally uninstalled, and it left the fragments.  This is not normal, so we are looking for any other way of uninstalling that may help avoid the same problem.

🙂
Should I still reinstall it, or try the program that TripleHelix recommended first?
I actually have a new question now while we are in a discussion.  When I got the email notification that there was a new comment in this tread I accidentally clicked on the "Don't want to receive emails from us?" link instead of viewing the post.  I was able to link a new email address to my account, but it isn't the one I was and use on a daily basis.  I tried to enter the old email address and it wouldn't let me add it because it said it was banned.  Is there a way to fix this, or an admin that can?  Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Hello there!

First, as WSA is so small, I would try thr reinstall and then uninstal from the Start menu first. Decent chance that will work. It it doesn't, you have only used a few minutes and you can then go ahead and try the Revo. (This is my opinion.. I have not used Revo so I do not know how large or complex a program it is.. )

As for the email thing, I assume you mean email address you use here in the community. You might send JimM a PM about this as it is likely only an Admin can fix this. (?)
Sounds good, I'll try both ideas.
Ok, now I feel dumb, but I can't find where to send a PM from.
I am running Windows 8, but have Start8 installed.  I see no option from the start menu to uninstalle WSA.  Should I look in the installation drectory?
Userlevel 7
Umm. Now I feel dumb. I don't know Windows 8 very well LOL!

On the PM, find a post or reply from JimM and click his name to view his profile. There is a link there to send a PM right by where you would click to add him as a friend.

Let me check the Windows 8 thing...or you might try deactivating via the Console as well. It does the same thing as the proper uninstall.
There is not uninstall option in the installation directory, either. The only item there is the actual WSA program itself. I deactivated it in the My Secure Anywhere Console. Now I will try to uninstall it.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
There is not uninstall option in the installation directory, either. The only item there is the actual WSA program itself. I deactivated it in the My Secure Anywhere Console. Now I will try to uninstall it.
If you deactivated in the Console, you might just have to try to run a scan... that is how I usually do it.  the moment you try to scan, it just dissapears and is gone 🙂
Userlevel 7
I have to step away for 20 minutes... (Something about kids get hungry and you have to feed them.... )  I will stop back in to see how you are doing.  Just let us know if you have any questions or if I need to lookup things for Windows 8.
Revo appeared to work for me.  Thanks!  I'll let you know if any issues com up.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
AWESOME!  I have not used it, so I am glad to hear that it seems pretty quick and easy to use... I need to play with it myself.  It sounds like an easy fix to what may be a lot of issues!

Thank you for the reply 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I have been using Revo Uninstaller for years and decided to go Pro on my 2 laptops it's very good at removing programs and removing leftovers it shows you the registry streams during uninstallation I'm Glad it worked. Hat tip to David also!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@ wrote:
I have been using Revo Uninstaller for years and decided to go Pro on my 2 laptops it's very good at removing programs and removing leftovers it shows you the registry streams during uninstallation I'm Glad it worked. Hat tip to David also!

Daniel ;)
Teamwork!  Thanks for the tip Daniel... Guess it is time for me to give Revo a try.  Are you using the free or Pro version?

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
I am running Windows 8, but have Start8 installed.  I see no option from the start menu to uninstalle WSA.  Should I look in the installation drectory?
Windows 8 you can got to Control Panel>Programs and uninstall from there or My Computer at the top click Computer then Uninstall or change Program.

HTH,

Daniel

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@DavidP1970 wrote:
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Daniel ;)
Teamwork!  Thanks for the tip Daniel... Guess it is time for me to give Revo a try.  Are you using the free or Pro version?

Pro as the Free will not work on 64bit systems but free works great on 32bit in advance mode or you can try Pro for 30 days!

Daniel 😉
@, that is how I orginially uninstalled the application.  It left behind the context menus after that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
@, that is how I orginially uninstalled the application.  It left behind the context menus after that.
@   Yes some have very odd issues and we do our best to help and I'm glad it's fixed. Is there a reason you don't want WSA on your system?

Daniel