Unknown Email Sent

• 8 January 2014
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Hello..
I am not tech savy and I need some help. I recieved word from some of my email contacts that they had recieved an email from me that I did not send. My email server is att/yahoo and I have webroot secure anywhere complete installed on my computer running  IE 11 and windows 7 as well as an android phone. my wife recieved a copy of this email and i can view it.On the subject line it says "Salutations, how are you" when you open it it goes to a link " http/ /fb.cahayars.info/www.php?yuyuwzn1158....... "  I did not add the complete link because i ddidnt want it to be active.
How can I determine if this is a detrimental email and is there any way I can determine how my email address was used to send these messages?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello OKSooner1 and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

I assume your not using an email client on your PC and you are just using Yahoo web mail? I had this happen to me a few times last year I don't know what really happened but I removed all of my contacts from the web mail and changed my password as I use Microsoft Outlook 2013 for my email and my ISP uses Yahoo mail so I know for sure it was not from my PC so the best thing to do is contact Yahoo mail security and ask them to look into your account and to see what has happened.

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also here is more info:

"General
Yahoo takes your security seriously and takes reasonable steps to protect your information. No data transmission over the Internet or information storage technology can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. The following is a summary of the measures Yahoo takes to protect your information and descriptions of ways we implement these measures for different types of information you may provide to us. Please see our Security Center for additional information on how to reduce your security risk when online.
Yahoo continues to evaluate and implement enhancements in security technology and practices, however we can only take steps to help reduce the risks of unauthorized access. Each individual using the Internet can take steps to help protect their information and further minimize the likelihood that a security incident may occur. We describe some of those measures and provide links to information that may be helpful in these pages and within our Security Center."

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 1
Ok thanks for the reply!  I will check with yahoo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
OK Great please let us know the outcome! Also here is a recent article about Yahoo https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Malware-attack-hits-thousands-of-Yahoo-users/m-p/76253#M2835

More info to contact Yahoo: http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=home&locale=en_US&actp=lorax&pir=NzETnulibUkqR_.gfKs5CeoUN53cWSEUi_Knkg6fPJJuHS3347aIBRccz2VS38C2vtCTuQ2616KQTCCgMw--

Here is there email just in case: security@yahoo-inc.com

Thanks,

TH 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +35
OKSooner1,

That is certainly a suspicious email, and the link does appear to be malicious. It's good that you have friends/email contacts that are security concious enough to contact you when they received a suspicous email from you. That is exactly what I do and recommend to others whenever an unexpected email is received - especially one containing a suspicious link. Email is a common distribution method for malware, and knowing how to recognize suspicious emails is an important part of security. If you receive an email that you were not expecting and it contains an attachment or link, consider it suspicious and potentially malicious.

You'll definitely want to change your password on your Yahoo account, since it is possible that your Yahoo account was compromised.

-Dan