Want a laugh?!

• 21 November 2015
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +19
I buy a new phone at Sam's Club and I purchased their protection plan. It comes with a 2 year subscription to McAfee. Groan! McAfee and I have had a rich and rocky history. But since I have it, I figure I might as well use it. After I install it, I start reading my email. There is one from webroot about my protection summary. I try to read it on my phone and McAfee blocks me. They say "Hey! Are you sure you want to go there? They said they checked the site and it contains all kinds of viruses and malware and things I probably don't want. And they advise against it.

Do I believe any of this? No! After all, it's McAfee.

I used to have them on my computer. As far as I know they protected me but it was the other stuff they did that did not sit well. One day they pushed an update to program out to my computer. After it updated, I had two icons for McAfee. I wondered why. Were two copies running? Can two copies run? They never told me to remove one.

Well, over the course of a year, I found out what it meant. I got an email to renew. I did. Some time goes by and I get an email to renew again. I wonder... could it bet time already? But I renew. Some time goes by and it's time to renew again. And I wonder again. After a couple of times, I make a note of the date and sure enough in 6 months, I get another renewal. I contact support and they tell me I have three subscriptions and I am entitled to a refund for one of them. I think...why not two. I log into my account, I see the one only has a couple of days left on it. So then I ask for them to combine the two subscriptions into one. Of course I don't get the same support person. And he says that I will have to explain why I want to do this. I say that the explanation is in this email we keep sending back and forth between us. He gets testy and tells me if I am not going to pay for the program that I have to remove. I keep telling him I have ONE pc and I have apparantly have more than one subscription for the same pc. It was at this point that I realized that the two icons must each be asking for a renewal. Although to this day, I don't know how I got the thrid subscription. He eventually just gave me a refund but tells me I have to remove the program if I am not paying for it.

Then there was the time that I was renewing online and I was about to pay and it was suddenly a LOT more than it was suppose to be. I went back and checked and it said that they had taken the liberty of adding other things to my purchase that they KNEW I would be interested it. You had to opt out not to buy them. I let them know that I thought the practice was pretty sleazy. They didn't answer.

Then I get a new pc and McAfee is not on it And I'm not putting it on it. So some time goes by and I get an email from them saying that they have renewed my subscrpition and I only have so many days to cancel and get a full refund. And you have to call them, you can't cancel over the phone. I call them and they say it was because I was set up for automatic renewal. But when I was active I had to press a button to confirm.

Any way they are not getting my credit card info. And I am sooo glad I found webroot. It has been the best virus protection I have ever used. Too bad Sam's Club didn't get me my choice of anti-virus.

But I thought you should know....you have all kinds of bad stuff on your website! Ha! Ha!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Kev914.

That's a great story and thanks for this information but I have heard of them renewing without consumer knowing. Makes me mad and makes me laugh! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Just to let you know if you buy WSA from Webroot's website it's auto-renewal so you have to go here and Opt out: https://www.webroot.com/us/en/auto-renewal-optout not near as bad as your experience!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
You'd think an Antivirus company owned by Intel would make it easier for it to get along with computers. 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
You'd think an Antivirus company owned by Intel would make it easier for it to get along with computers. :p
Well it is Mr. McAfee after all in the beginning: https://www.google.com/search?q=Mr+McAfee&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNsZyxwaDJAhVFdh4KHeGTCCwQsAQILA&biw=1920&bih=883&gws_rd=cr&ei=m9xPVp7PCIGoeumcm7gG

Daniel 😃