Wanted............technical knight in shining armour

• 19 October 2013
  • 30 replies

Userlevel 3
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 27 replies
Please....... please HELP!!!!

My name is Alison and I have the technical abilities of a Lima bean :@

I had a message come up from Webroot saying something like......on start up a file/program is trying to enter...then there were options....and... I clicked on the one that said   "Block"
Now my laptop will not connect to the Internet at all; it just has a big red cross on the Internet icon.

I live in the UK and my laptop in my world. Two years 8mnths ago I became chronically ill, following a routine tooth operation; a viral infection entered and affected my central nervous system, rendering me housebound and mainly bed bound. This isn't a sympathy call....it's just to give you some understanding and put you in the picture of the difficulties I may have with anything complicated so please be patient.  

Thank you in advance, Kindly regards Alison :D
icon

Best answer by allyb 30 October 2013, 00:05

View original

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Alison and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums. 

Not to worry it can be in only 2 areas so have a look in these sections and unblock!

First we will look at the Firewall so look  for a Blocked file and Set it to Allow! http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C4_Firewall/CH4c_ManagingActiveConnections.htm

If it's not there then please go here and check Blocking/Allow files and if you see something blocked just remove all: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C5_Quarantine/CH5b_BlockingAllowingFiles.htm

And just in case it's not in those 2 areas have a look here and just restore the file from Quarantine: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C5_Quarantine/CH5a_ManagingQuarantine.htm

And after that please do a Scan from the Main Interface and Click Scan My Computer and lets us know if that corrects your Internet issues.

HTH,

Daniel  😉
Userlevel 7
Hello Alison and welcome to the Community.:)

Please open your WSA interface. On the right hand side Click 'System Control' under Utilities. Under 'Control Active Processes' click on 'Start'. Now 'Allow' every item listed.

Return to the main interface. On the right side click on the gear sign beside 'PC Security'. Click on 'Block/Allow Files'. Allow every item listed.

Also check if there's anything listed in 'Quarantine' beside 'Block/Allow Files'.

Now perform a scan with WSA and then try to connect tot he internet again.

EDIT : Well Daniel beat me to it. Gotta speed up my typing.
Userlevel 3

First thank you very much for taking the time to reply both...........................

Between the two posts I have checked in the system control and there is nothing 'Blocked' everything is tagged for 'Allow'

I have looked in 'Quarentine and there is nothing in Red or ticked.  

I have done the none technical things like shut down the computer then rerun the scan but It still won't connect :$

Have I done everything?? It's getting late here so if you have anymore suggestions I will try again tomorrow.

Thanks again, kindly regards
Alison

P.S.  There is nothing at all listed in block and allow files:@
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry to hear at this time it's best Submit a Support Ticket on another computer and explain what happened and I'm sure they will ask you for a Scan Log and put in on a thumb drive so you can transfer to the computer you're using at this time and even point them to this thread and they will be happy to help you.

Daniel
Userlevel 3
Thank you again most kindly for your help Daniel,

I think I have submitted a Support ticket....please could I ask how you would know if has been sucessful ie will the team notify me is working hours.
Kindly regards
Alison
Userlevel 2
Sorry to hear you are having problems. It could well be that you have blocked/disabled the program that allows you wireless access. Not knowing what that is as I don`t have your laptop infront of me, if YOU do then open up control panel, click on programs. If you recognise the program, then click on it. If it gives you the option to repair, then select yes and see how you go. If not, then resetting your network adapter may help. Click on control panel, then "network and internet", then "network and sharing centre". On the left hand side there is an option to "change adapter settings". Click on that, and your network adaper should be listed. Right click on it, and select diagnose, and follow any prompts. If that doesnt work, right click again, select disable. Then right click and select enable. Reboot, and see if that helps. Ive used this many times when working for Virgin Media to help people reconnect. Its worth a try.
George
Userlevel 3
Thank you very much George........

I followed your instructions.....(I have been using my old faithful Dell) on my new Dell and I right clicked as you said......it did indeed diagnose the problem...........OUCH :$

I am going to confess to just how DUMB :D

The wireless connection was switched off.........in my (lame) defense, I did try that yesterday but I have just realised it is opposite to my old dell.  On the old one you slide the button towards the antenna icon....whilst on my new one you slide it away. :S

As I said..... my laptop really is my world..... it connects me with others as ill as myself and to helpful communities such as yours.   Thanks all for your advice and perseverance.

Kindly regards
Alison.

Userlevel 7
Hi Alison

You should be able to check on the status of your support ticket by clicking on the 'Get Customer Support' button, to be found under the 'Support/Community' tab in the main WSA GUI.  That should open a web page with further links on the right hand side, and the last one under the Product Support main heading, i.e., Check My Support Ticket Status, should allow you to follow up...just click on it and follow the instructions on the pages displayed.

If that does not help then post back. :D

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:

The wireless connection was switched off.........in my (lame) defense, I did try that yesterday but I have just realised it is opposite to my old dell.  On the old one you slide the button towards the antenna icon....whilst on my new one you slide it away. :S

As I said..... my laptop really is my world..... it connects me with others as ill as myself and to helpful communities such as yours.   Thanks all for your advice and perseverance.

Kindly regards
Alison.

I was thinking of that but didn't want to ask as you said something was blocked so I assumed at that time you were connected to the net sometimes I have to go with my gut feeling! Glad you got sorted though. :D

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 3

Oh gosh help again guys; the Webroot notice has just come up again  when I logged on the Internet it says………

This file is trying to connect to the internet and is not trusted

C:/program files/wrapper_ blah blah

What do I do? Bock it or allow once????

What is it???????

Many thanks
Alison
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Alison can you please save a scan log see here: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C11_ReportsandViewers/CH11a_SavingScanLog.htm

And post just the lines that shows the file seen in your prompt Example: [u] c:windowsmicrosoft.netframeworkv4.0.30319system.resources.resourcemanager.dll [MD5: 12AC64D114A9CA4BA33AEB386948D8C9] [Flags: 00001000.6178]

As it sounds like a Firewall Prompt.

Daniel
Userlevel 3
Hi Daniel,

Thank you,

I have fathomed out how to save a report log..............but just can't fathom out which bit you need posting....:$

Kindest regards
Ally
Userlevel 3
Hi Daniel,

Thank you,

I have fathomed out how to save a report log..............but just can't fathom out which bit you need posting :$

Kindest regards
Ally
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

I have fathomed out how to save a report log..............but just can't fathom out which bit you need posting :$

Kindest regards
Ally
The lines in the log starting with [u]. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@PIInfinity wrote:
@ wrote:

Kindest regards
Ally
The lines in the log starting with [u]. :)
Thanks Amit! Ally could you please Submit a Support Ticket so they can make sure your system is clean?

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
 Thanks Amit!

Thanks,
Daniel

You're welcome buddy.:)
Userlevel 3

Thank you very much BOTH :D

I found it finally :$ 

[u] c:program fileswrapper_instservice.exe [MD5: 7C73C4515C567EBABD7300D50A228B93] [Flags: 10181401.11449]

Daniel.............when I try to submit 'a ticket' and put my email and password in .......it says we've been in touch with........then my email address?????

sorry to be such pain
ally
Userlevel 7
Hi Ally

Have you already received an email from Support with a link to your ticket and details of a password to use in conjunction with that or are you logging for the first time?  If you follow the link from the Support/Community tab in the main WSA GUI it should take you to a page where you have, under the main heading 'Product Support' two possible links: (i) 'Open a Support Ticket', if this is your first time or you are starting a new ticket & (ii) 'Check my Support Ticket Status' is you have the password and are trying to respond to an already acknowledged ticket.

Which of the two situation above do you find yourself in? :D

We will try to help based on your reply.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:

Thank you very much BOTH :D

I found it finally :$ 

[u] c:program fileswrapper_instservice.exe [MD5: 7C73C4515C567EBABD7300D50A228B93] [Flags: 10181401.11449]

Daniel.............when I try to submit 'a ticket' and put my email and password in .......it says we've been in touch with........then my email address?????

sorry to be such pain
ally
Hi Ally,

After you enter your email address here https://detail.webrootanywhere.com/servicewelcome.asp you get:

Welcome Back!

We have already had contact with: ------@-----.comPlease enter your password below if you wish to continue with your previous conversation. Your password will have been previously emailed to you.
Password: Forgotten your password? Am I right? Well it's normal. Just enter your password for Webroot Support and click continue. When a new webpage loads click Send another message. And you're good to go. The above is just a welcome note to WSA users and means that you had submitted a ticket on another case previously.:)
Userlevel 7
That file looks related to a Chatzum toolbar which is described as a social networking thumbnail zoomer. It looks like it is installing a toolbar/extension in your browser. Does this sound familiar by any chance? Did you install a toolbar recently?
Userlevel 3
:D

Thank you Guys for your time, patience and expertise............

I think where I had been going wrong was trying to put my log in password in.......so I clicked on forgot password and they emailed me one and that worked...... phew...... so I have now sent them an email as I don't want to try the patience of you kindly guys any further.

https:///t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/7522  😠 I have not intentionally tried to install any toolbar.....................gosh I'm all on with the Google toolbar :D  It doesn't sound familiar........ but it may have been something I've done inadvertently.

Kindly regards
Alison
Userlevel 3
I've had an email from the support team and it has been sorted.......Thanks again guys

Kindest regards
Alison
Userlevel 7
Hi Ally

Glad to hear that is sorted for you.  Hope that you will stick around in the Community Forum...as it is great fun and you learn so much. ;)

We are always here to help in case you have a question or an issue and are not sure if you should log a support ticket.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Hi Guys,

Quick question
I installed adobe flash 11................and somehow Mc Afee weedled it's way onto my laptop :@ 

Do I just uninstall it.............it won't affect the adobe will it................why do they do that??? it's a bit sly dontcha think.

Kindly regards
ally
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Yes you can uninstall it. It's slimey way for them to make extra money.
Make sure to pay attention when installing software on both the download page and the installer program.