Web console says 0 PCs Protected

Userlevel 2
For some reason my computers don’t show up in the online account console. It says I have “0 PCs Protected” and that’s not the case. I’ve searched the community forums and found that others have had this issue. The advice is to run a scan, wait awhile and see if it shows up. I’ve run plenty of scans and nothing has updated.

More info…

I originally installed an older version of Webroot on my old laptop. I forget what it used to be called (Webroot Internet Security maybe?) but I had a 3-user subscription. That version was discontinued at some point and I was upgraded to WSA Complete at no extra cost, but still with only 3 users instead of 5. For a while I only had it installed on the one PC but I remember it showing up online.

So, the old laptop died a long time ago. I was using a desktop PC that had a different security suite at the time. I eventually installed Webroot on that desktop as well as a newer laptop. When I logged into the web console I couldn’t figure out why it said 0 PCs. It really should be 3. I don’t recall deactivating the old laptop and nothing shows up under deactivated PCs.

Now, I’m not sure how to go about fixing this because it gets a little more complicated.

I’ve got an Android phone I’d like to install Webroot on so I intended to deactivate the old laptop so that I could do that. I obviously can’t, but then I might not even need to. I recently discovered that when I open Webroot and click on my personal security report, the webpage that opens up says I have 2 devices protected. That *should* be the desktop and new laptop. Only those two would have been used during the timeframe for the report (since my last renewal past 6 months?). But it doesn’t match the web console. So, I guess I could try to install it on my phone and see what happens. But then, I want to get a tablet in the near future too, so I’ll need to upgrade my subscription to allow for more devices anyway.

I also haven’t upgraded my new laptop to Windows 10 yet and I’d like to do that soon. I thought I read somewhere that that can cause issues with Webroot somehow but I can’t remember exactly what I read.

So I’m not sure how to go about dealing with this. Should I try installing Webroot on my phone first? I don’t know if that would help. It might show up as 1 Mobile and 0 PCs still. Should I wait until I upgrade my laptop to Windows 10 before doing anything else? Then I’ll know if anything messed up there. Should I upgrade my subscription now and see if anything updates after? Should I get the 0 PCs issue sorted out first before I upgrade or install it on any other devices? And why did the old laptop completely disappear if I never deactivated it?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

***EDIT*** Noticed I misread the duration of the security report - it started around the same time as my renewal.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi cheezecat

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Interesting issue and set of questions, so I can see why you may be a bit confused/uncertain.

Well, you could certainly try installing Webroot on your phone first of all. That should make any difference either way and would most probably indeed show up as1 Mobile and 0 PCs, but one never knows...so why not give it a try. If you need guidance on this then please let us know, as there are multiple version of the Android app and you need to make sure that you select the right one..

There is no need to wait until you upgrade your laptop to Windows 10 before doing anything else. For the most part there is no issue between WSA & Windows 10 upgrade...there have been some reports of the upgrade process requiring WSA to be unistalled first but if that does happen then it is an easy thing to reinstall WSA.

I would wait to upgrade your subscription until you need to...I don't think that the process of upgrading will in anby way affect what the online console is reporting. And there is no need to get the 0 PCs issue sorted out first before upgrading or installing WSA on any other devices.

What you can try, as it is quick and easy, is to uninstall WSA on your laptop and then undertake a clean reinstall...to see if that 'nudges' the online console to correctly report matters. But if that does not work then I would Open a Support Ticket, explaining the issue and hopefully the Support Team can then look into the issue for you.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
So, if I uninstall Webroot and then reinstall it, will it know I'm reinstalling it on the same PC, or will it look like a new device? Let's say I try this and it appears as 1 PC in the web console. Would my security report then say 3, or still 2? I might have to just try it to find out. I should probably try that first. I worry that if I install it on my phone first, there's my 3 devices, and then it might not let me reinstall on the laptop. And I just checked Google Play for the Webroot apps. I'm assuming it should be the one labeled "Complete."
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi cheezecat,
Welcome to the Webroot Community,

You can uninstall/reinstall as many times as you want on one PC. Webroot knows you have 5 devices. So I would do as Baldrick has said and do a uninstall/clean install of Webroot. Then see how many devices that are in your Account Console. If you are not seeing those PC including your mobile device then I would submit that Support Ticket and they can fix this for you.

And yes you would install WSA Complete from the Googke Play Store for your Android.
Edited: WSA Complete would be only if you have a subscription for 5 devices. 

Hope this helps?
Userlevel 2
Thanks. I'll give this a try soon.
Userlevel 7
Hi cheezecat

In terms of the version of Android app to install, Sherry is most probably correct (she usually is in these matters ;)) but you can check to make sure by review the contents of this KB Article, as well as providing links the to the approrpiate version and information on how to activate the app.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
So I uninstalled Webroot and then reinstalled it on my laptop. I ran a scan, nothing changed. I even ran a “full scan” later and still nothing. So I’ll have to open a ticket and get tech support to figure it out.

As for the Android issue, I have a 3-user subscription, but my actual product is Complete. That’s what the program says. That’s what the web console says. I have online storage, which is only available with Complete. It’s because of the way it was upgraded. I found an old email with renewal info. My old product was called Webroot SecureAnywhere Essentials. That was the mid-level/3-user version at the time. When that product was discontinued, I was upgraded to Complete at no extra cost, but I wasn’t given any extra users. My next renewal email specifically said “Complete 3 Seat.” I’m paying the same amount I was paying for Essentials. I thought I had an email explaining the upgrade but it may have just been a message right in the program. I can’t remember for sure, but I think Essentials may have had some feature(s) that’s not part of Internet Security Plus, hence the upgrade to Complete. I still have the same keycode. So I don’t see why I shouldn’t be able to get Complete on my phone. I might just have to try it and see. I’ll need to upgrade when I buy a tablet, but then I would be upgrading the number of users while the product stays the same. At that point I should definitely be able to install Complete on my phone.
Userlevel 7
Hi cheezecat

OK, thanks for the feedback...based on what you have described I would say that the Support Ticket is now the best way to go. Do let us know what the Support Team come back with to resolve the issue for you. ;)

As for your Complete subscription...I was in the same position as you and your understanding of Essentials > Complete is, if I recall correctly, spot on. I am wondering if in fact the keycodes where changed in format along with the move from Essentials > Complete...but may have to do some digging on that...and anyway you should have been contacted at the time and provided with a replacement key...but I may just be dreaming.

I can see no reason as to why  you should not be able to install the paid version on your phone as you have the Complete version of the subscription...as the KB Article states:

WSA-Internet Security Complete

Use the same key code as you use for your computer.

WSA-Complete

(SecureWeb Browser, Password Manager and Backup & Sync is included)

so I would go ahead and downlaod/install that on your phone.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 2
Ok, according to my old emails when I was just renewing Essentials, the keycode is identical. I’m not sure what you mean when you say “changed in format.”

Anyway, I was able to install Complete on my phone with no issues. Sure enough, my web console now says “1 Device Protected” under Mobile Security, but still says “0 PCs protected.” I’ve kept my tab open with the Personalized Security Report and that still only says 2 devices are protected. I’m not sure when exactly it updates though. As of today (April 28) it says, “Personal Security Report from: Oct 28, 2015 through Apr 28, 2016,” even though I opened the report a few days ago. I’ve reloaded the tab but haven’t opened a new report. I don’t even think I can anyway. I had clicked the link straight from Webroot and now that space has changed to a link to the community. I don’t know if/when it will change back and as far as I can tell, there’s no other way to access it.

I haven’t opened a support ticket just yet but I will. I’m just going to see if this report updates tomorrow or not. I will definitely give an update once this is resolved.

Thank you both for the help!
Userlevel 7
Hi cheezecat

Sorry, I did not mean to confuse by my reference to "changed in format"...I just recall (perhaps incorrectly) something to do with keycode format changes at around the same time as the change from Essentials > Complete versions...but as I said I amy be dreaming. ;)

Glad to see that you are all installed and correctly reporting thenmobile app...which reinforces my view that the issue is down to a problem in the back office which only the Support Team can helpmwith as only they have access.

Awaiting your update on how that goes...but again I stress that the issue is only one of reporting status and not one that in any way affects the protection of your system. :D

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
I submitted a support ticket. I typed out my message in Word first and maybe that screwed things up somehow, but after I hit submit, my message was displayed with no capital letters, and "subscription" appeared as "subscr1ption." That was weird. Then the confirmation message I received was unencrypted. I find this sadly ironic when dealing with a company that provides security software, especially considering the email contains my email address and an auto-generated password.

Anyways...

Now I'm just waiting to hear back. I'll update when this gets cleared up.
Userlevel 2
I have an update, but no solution just yet.

I was sent a link to download some kind of log tool. I ran that and it reported back to Webroot. They couldn’t find the problem so we arranged to speak over the phone. We ended up doing remote desktop sessions on both computers. The support tech ran a network analyzer tool that captures a pile of data. So that could take some time to go through everything and figure out what the problem is. He said he’s “never seen this before” – a computer that’s “so stubborn.” So hopefully they can sort this out. He said both PCs and the phone all show up on their end though. Interestingly, the old laptop doesn’t. I guess it effectively deactivates itself. He said the system sees when a computer isn’t scanning anymore. I refreshed my Personal Security Report (I don’t want to close that tab until this is fixed) and now it shows all three devices anyway, so that’s a start.

Now, I went ahead and bought a Surface 3 tablet but I don’t actually have it yet. So I’m going to have to upgrade my Webroot subscription pretty soon so I can install it. I just want this issue fixed before I do that. I don’t want to risk throwing something else off. *Hopefully* once this is taken care of I’ll be able to install it on another computer and have it show up like it’s supposed to.
Userlevel 7
Hi cheezecat

Thanks for the update...you are in good hads with the Support Team and if anyone can determine what the issue is then it is them.

Nice one re. the purchase of the Surface 3...I am thinking of replacing my Dell tablet sooner rather than later and a Surface 3 is definitively on my list (would love a Surfce 4 but they are just a bit to expensive at the moment ;)).

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 2
Yes, the support tech I dealt with was helpful and friendly.:D

Even Surface 3 is kind of expensive (compared to Android or other Windows tablets) but I didn't actually want Surface 3/4 Pro because they're similar to my laptop anyway. I've got a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro which folds into a tablet and has about the same screen size. I wanted a tablet that's a little smaller.

**edit: typo**
Userlevel 2
Everything is fixed!!!:D

It was all taken care of more than a week ago but I hadn't gotten around to replying until now. A few days after the remote sessions with tech support, I got a response saying they made some changes to the account and it should be working now. I have no idea what they fixed but I assume it's something highly technical that I wouldn't understand anyway.

So I went to the web console and all the computers showed up, including the old laptop that I thought had deactivated itself. My Personal Security Report was showing 2 PCs (plus the Android phone) while the console showed all three. Turns out there was a PC listed under Deactivated PCs too. I took a look at the last scan dates and then I remembered what happened there. They were both actually the same laptop. I had upgraded from Windows Vista to 7 at one point. I did a clean install and renamed the PC so I must have deactivated it under the old name after reinstalling. The last scan date was right around the time I upgraded. As for the one that was still showing as active, the last scan date matched up with time it died. I just never bothered to deactivate it at the time.

Anyway, I sent another message explaining this and asked for clarification. I asked why I was able to install Webroot on my phone when there were 3 PCs showing up, and why it didn't match up with the report. They explained that only PCs that have scanned recently count towards your license limit. I don't know exactly what "recently" means but it doesn't much matter here. Point is, it won't actually deactivate on its own, but it will stop counting towards your number of protected devices.

So, I finally deactived the old laptop. Then I upgraded to a 5-license subscription and installed on the new tablet. All good!! It showed up right away in the web console, like it's supposed to!:D

Thanks again to Baldrick and Ssherjj for your assistance! And of course, thanks to the support team!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi cheezecat,

Thank you for letting us know. That's awesome that everything is working the way it's suppose to!;)

And you are most welcome!

Userlevel 7
Hi cheezecat

Good to hear form you, and great to hear that you are all sorted. :D

Webroot Support is the best in the business (and that is official not just my view).

Hope to see you around...and if you have any further issues and/or questions you know where to find us. ;)

Regards, Baldrick