Solved

Web Site Evaluation Doesn't Show

• 19 October 2013
  • 71 replies

Show first post

71 replies

Userlevel 7
While I cannot give you technicaly founded reply I think it should not case any issues, at least serious, because the new web shield doesn't use toolbar.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up, Daniel. Do you know if the two (Toolbar and new Shield) will have potential conflicts? I'm thinking probably not but I *have* been wrong before. :)

Phil
It shouldn't as one is a Toolbar and the New Web Shield will ask you to install the Webroot Web Filtering Extensions in IE, Firefox & Chrome.

Daniel

Here you can see in Firefox 24:

Userlevel 5
I am with you on that, Pegas. Thed only thing is is it doen't *prevent* you from going to the site. It just gives you information that somebody somewhere thinks it is not a good idea to visit the site. But you are correct -- it seems changing an incorrect interpretation by the program will be difficult.

Phil
Userlevel 5
Thanks, Daniel and Pegus. Looks like I will get to find out if there is a conflict since I already have the toolbar loaded. Look on the bright side -- if it doesn't work, I will have something to complain about. I just *love* to complain. :)

Phil
Userlevel 7
My guess is that you wont have a conflict: there are a number of people who have the new one working now and I am pretty sure at least a few of them had the old Brightcloud toolbar installed.  So far we have not heard of any problems, but please do let us know if anythin odd does happen!

🙂
Userlevel 7

@ wrote:
I am with you on that, Pegas. Thed only thing is is it doen't *prevent* you from going to the site. It just gives you information that somebody somewhere thinks it is not a good idea to visit the site. But you are correct -- it seems changing an incorrect interpretation by the program will be difficult.

Phil
I have encountered two sites being blocked. The first is my company e-mail server, how it could get the bad reputation is a mystery to me and the second one is our national online tabloid newspaper. The both I reported to support. The mail server block is under investigation (so I didn't have other chance than to allow this site because I need to access my mail server) for a few days already! As for the tabloid site, yeah we can dispute its content but the site is definitely not malicious, I was encouraged to ask changing the site reputation, needless to say what I did ... If it goes on like this I will be allowing blocked pages which I am convinced they are legitimate because I don't want to wait for an indefinite time when a site is unblocked what even need not be done because of a small amount of requests for the reputation change.
Userlevel 7
Many thanks to all of you Guys for sharing your thoughts :D
The support and the exchange of experiences in the Community are awesome :D
Indeed there should be no conflict between browser toolbar and browser extension.
But as Baldrick advise, I'll wait a few days, maybe the upgrade will appear on my board next week :D
In spite of all, I'm very happy with everything what WSA offers to me and it becomes my favourite security software❤️
To complete happiness I miss just a better compatibility with Sandboxie 😉
Userlevel 4
Hi folks

I just wanted to chime in here.

The new Webroot Web Threat Shield is not crowd sourced like Web of trust (WOT), our shield does not require a certain amount of votes to raise a reputation or change a category.

For Webroot the reputation of a site is based on several hundred security related data points, For example a websites age, popularity, and malware history. So a website that has only existed for 24 hours and has received relatively little traffic is going to have a low reputation.

If you feel a website is categorised incorrectly or has a reputation that you disagree with, you just need to let us know.
We have live Web Analysts as well as bots, bots are fantastic but they can make mistakes (luckily humans are still better at some things 😉 ). Our Web Analysts will review the change requests our customers ask for and reply with an answer.

To supply a change request we currently use the BrightCloud website

Jack

Userlevel 7
Thanks Jack for the explanation but .... "our shield does not require a certain amount of votes to raise a reputation or change a category" and "To supply a change request we currently use the BrightCloud website" quite contradicts, imo.

We need to change sites reputation by a far smarter way, it should be somehow automated via WSA GUI.

Now we can submit a file for research from GUI (Utilities->Reports->Submit Files), so it should be the same with an URL.
Userlevel 4
Hi Pegas

I was trying to explain that we are different from WOT. If a reputation has been made in error and it is brought to the attention of our Web analysts, one contact can raise the reputation as much as needed.

I'm not overly familiar with WOT, but from what I have read it is a crowd sourced solution where peoples behaviour on a site essentially votes or polls on a websites repuation. With this solution it would take time for an error to correct itself organicly, presumably WOT has a way to over ride this in cases of False Positives.

What I'm trying to say is that a single contact to our Web analysts can change a sites reputation, it does not take multiple contacts or a review over a long time to change a reputation score.

Does that make it more clear?

Jack
Userlevel 7
Hi Jack,
When can I expect the upgrade?
Is it possible for me to have the new WebShield this month?
Please forgive me this question, I know that the Webroot Team still works on it... I'm just curious...
Userlevel 7
Yes Jack, it is completely clear now, thanks. Please also see my post again, I edited it, can you also comment upon?

Just to see how fast the reputation change is done I have supplied the request for change of reputation for one site via BrightCloud ... time is ticking ...
Userlevel 4
Hi Miquell

Unfortunately I don't have an eta for the full rollout of the new web shield, it is likely you will have it by the end of the month, but I cannot promise this. I really am sorry to be so vague, but thank you for your continued patience.

Hi Pegas

I completely agree that website change requests should be able to be made from the Webroot GUI, [user=6][/user] recently responded to this Ideas Exchange with the following -
"It looks like there will be usability enhancements to the web filtering capabilities added and a UI for managing white lists is one of the enhancements we will be making, but there's not a timeframe for rolling it out yet. In the meantime, a manual editing of the whitelist.txt is the best workaround."

So GUI improvements are coming, but I think your suggestion is worth a second ideas exchange entry for tracking. How would you like it implemented? in the Webroot agent? in a toolbar like the old reputation toolbar? combined with the passwords toolbar?

As for replies to website change requests, I believe the current response time is upto 48 hours but usually much much quicker. The responce time is one of the areas we are trying to improve.

Jack

Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I completely agree that website change requests should be able to be made from the Webroot GUI, @ recently responded to this Ideas Exchange with the following -
"It looks like there will be usability enhancements to the web filtering capabilities added and a UI for managing white lists is one of the enhancements we will be making, but there's not a timeframe for rolling it out yet. In the meantime, a manual editing of the whitelist.txt is the best workaround." 
Yes I know as I also contributed to the discussion. However I hate ... "we don't have a timeframe" or "it will be released once finished" or "stay tuned" etc. etc. but I admit that's not problem only for Webroot. ;)

@ wrote:
So GUI improvements are coming, but I think your suggestion is worth a second ideas exchange entry for tracking. How would you like it implemented? in the Webroot agent? in a toolbar like the old reputation toolbar? combined with the passwords toolbar? 
There is definitely more options than one but if I could vote I would prefer two paralel ways. The first is to report an URL via WSA GUI, it should be easy to incorporate let's call it  "URL submittal" under Utilities->Reports->Submit Files/(URL) and the second one is obviously within a browser environment, i.e. a toolbar or when you get the block warning (Webroot Blocked Navigation) there is an option "Unblock page and continue", so right beside this option can be also another, for instance called "Request reputation change" or similiar.

@ wrote:
As for replies to website change requests, I believe the current response time is upto 48 hours but usually much much quicker. The responce time is one of the areas we are trying to improve. 
I will tell you then ...
Userlevel 5
Thanks for the updated info, Jack. I was aware there are major differences -- I just didn't know exactly what. Anyway, the Brightcloud Toolbar is just something for me to use until Webroot decides I will get the upgraded function. The Brightcloud Toolbar is certainly better than nothing. :)

Phil
Userlevel 7
Thanks for reply Jack!!
I'm not a complete layman in the field of computer security, so I know that some things simply need a period of time to be fully implemented. I'm trying to wait patiently for the update, I hope it will be soon :D
My guess is that you have a lot of work with it, I keep my fingers crossed for all Webroot Team's actions :D
I also agree, that website change requests should be able to be made from the Webroot GUI - that would be useful.

Regards,

Mike
Userlevel 7
Hi Jack

In case it has not been suggested yet what about a link to the BrightCloud website in the same way a link is provided to allow users quick access to Webroot Support.

If that idea is credible I would suggest it could go under the Identity Protection tab, just under the Learn More button.  May be easier to implement than a files-type submission system, previously suggested (not that I am in anyway knocking that suggestion ;))

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 4
Hi Baldrick

That sounds like another good way of doing this, at this stage there are no bad ideas. I suggest you open an Ideas Exchange entry for it, doesn't look like Pegas has had a chance yet, so we can collect all of these great ideas, then the Product Managers can look into it.

Jack
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
doesn't look like Pegas has had a chance yet
Done :D
Userlevel 4
Haha, thanks Pegas! Knew you'd be around 🙂
Userlevel 7

@ wrote:
@ wrote:
I will tell you then ...
Well, @ , you will not want to hear this ... before cca 2 hours already passed 48 hours since I supplied the request for change of reputation for one site via BrightCloud.

Up to now the site reputation has not been changed yet and the site is still being blocked. Maybe there is a reason to get it blocked but if so I would be really surprised.

OK, let's the site be blocked, I don't mind, I can always surpass the shield's block to allow this site but what is really scandalous is that I didn't receive a reply, explanation etc. simply nothing happened.

It isn't nice, isn't it?
Userlevel 4
No it's not good at all.

If you would like, PM me your email address and I can investigate what has happened to your request.

Jack
Userlevel 7
PM sent. :D
Userlevel 4
Hi Pegas

Unfortunately at the time of your testing our change request email responder had an outage. When the emailer catches up you should eventually receive your responce. However you're request should be processed, I currently see your sight as having a rep of 81.

Jack
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi Pegas

Unfortunately at the time of your testing our change request email responder had an outage. When the emailer catches up you should eventually receive your responce. However you're request should be processed, I currently see your sight as having a rep of 81.

Jack
Hi Jack,

Thanks for the info ... it looks like my request proceeded fast in the queue (probably thanks to you) ... see below :D

Though, I hope that another request for change reputation, if any, will be processed within the declared time frame. 😉