Solved

Web Site Evaluation Doesn't Show

• 19 October 2013
  • 71 replies

Userlevel 5
Hi, Guys Another problem with either my understanding of Complete or maybe the program itself. Yes, I read the other 3 page thread on my issue but found no help. I decided to post a new thread for myrequest since the other thread looked to have become rather convoluted.

In short, the website red/green indication does not show up on either a Google or Bing search. This is in both IE and Firefox, both updated. Google is a HTTPS search so I would expect it to not show based on the info in the other thread but Bing is HTTP in both browsers so should give indication of a web site's safety of lack thereof. No such luck with my install of Webroot Complete. I have tried turning the feature off and back on with no results -- the action is the same. I have Malewarebytes Pro running as well as Windows Security. There is no other security or maleware software installed on this new machine. It is an ASUS laptop running Win 7 Pro 64 bit. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Phil
icon

Best answer by Miquell 31 October 2013, 20:30

View original

71 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Philip

Welcome to the Community Forum.

First question, to which I assume the answer is 'Yes' is are you running v8.0.4.17?  If so then it is possible that you have not yet received the rollout of the new Web Threat Shield, which is slowly doing the rounds.  It started a week ago but is still not complete.

Also, a quick way to check is to look at the contents of the following folder:

C:ProgramDataWRDataPKG

and should look something very much like what you see in the attachment.

Secondly, did IE & FF ask to install web filter extensions?  I also assume that if not then you have checked for and tried to enable the Webroot addons manually ; in FF you are looking for:

Webroot Filtering Extension v1.0.0.9

If the answer to both the above is 'Yes', then it is definitely worth to try a clean install (completely uninstall, reboot, install, reboot) WITHOUT import of any previous settings.

I am having similar issue except that the shield works in IE but not FF, and I am progressing my specific case with Webroot Support via a support ticket.

Before you head that way I would recommend that you undertake the checks above and post back re. the outcome.

HTH

Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Baldrick,

THANK YOU for your response!

As to software version, you are correct -- 8.0.4.17 -- so you say I might be waiting on an update? If so, that,s just what I will do as opposed to a complete reinstall. The balance of the program *seems* to be working correctly and I would not want to upset the app with a reinstall. However, the fact this little unimportant bit not working makes me nervous about the rest.

I looked at the contents of that folder but see no "attachment" to compare. Am I totally missing something? That's quite possible! :)

I'm not sure about the "web filter extensions" bit. Just don't remember. It did install the little round "webroot" icon on the toolbar that allows me to sign-in, etc. Is that what you mean? In FF, There is a "Webroot Toolbar 2.0" listed in the "Extensions". I do not see the extension you listed. Where would I find it? I did find a "webroot reputation toolbar" but not the one you mention. ((shrug))

Again, Ithink will hold off on the complete reinstall unless you feel that necessary. This glitch is such a small part of the overall functionallity of the program.

Again, thank you very much for your assistance. I look forward to your reply.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello Philip10 and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums.

I would recommend a clean reinstall with a Reboot in Between as Baldrick suggested as "webroot reputation toolbar" should not be there and here is a post I posted to look for what files to look for when you get the new Web Shield: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Internet/New-interface-web-site-list/m-p/59903#M1822

HTH,

TH
Userlevel 5
Thanks, TripleHelix, I had just found your post and I think I have confirmed what Baldrick mentioned ii I don't yet have the extension from Webroot. It has not been "rolled out" to me. They need to hurry up. In my opinion, leaving something like this hanging is NOT a good thing for many reasons. I do NOT have the folder you pictured in your previous post. The "Reputation Toolbar" is a legit add-on by Brightcloud. I can easily get it gone from the add-ons manager if necessary. Thanks very much for your advise but I think I will hold off on a complete reinstall for now while waiting to see if the new function is "rolled out" to me soon. If you have info saying it won't be, then maybe I do need to reinstall. What say you? Phil
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
So you installed the Toolbar from Bright Cloud http://www.brightcloud.com/wrtoolbar.php now I see why you have it. Also keep an eye on the forums Till the Webroot Staff says it's rolled out to everyone and if you don't have it then a clean reinstall would be in order and still not there after I would suggest you contact the Webroot support inbox.

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Hi Philip

Have no fears re. not yet having the new Web Threat Shield; you are still protected in all key areas by your installation of WSA.  The roll out is taking some time so as to make sure that it is a 'right' as possible by the time it reaches the mass of end users.  As I have said I have experienced some issues but luckily these are confined to a very small number of users who have so far received the roll out.

Patience is all I can say at this point.  You should know when you receive the update as IE & FF should ask you to install the new add-ons.

If you have not see any such prompt by the end of this coming week then I would double check the previously advised folders (as per TH's screenshots) and if you have them but no prompts to install then I would certainly go with a complete uninstall, reboot, fresh install, reboot and then check IE & FF for the addons, etc.

The beauty of WSA is that it is so, so easy to install/uninstall/re-install. :D

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Regards

Balders

PS. Humble apologies about the missing attachment...I was sure I had attached it...but obviously not :$  Thanks to TH for coming to the rescue there...as he always does...;)
Userlevel 5
Yep -- that's the one. I was trying to find the extension mentioned by Baldrick and found that one instead. I thought I would try it because it does look interesting and is offered in the FF add-on manager.

You still think a reinstall is needed or should I just wait for the function to be rolled out?

Thanks for your help!
Phil
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It's up to you so it would not hurt but that doesn't mean you will get the new Web Shield because of a clean reinstall.

Daniel
Userlevel 5
I think maybe I will hol off on the reinstall for a bit to see if I get the "roll-out". I have done so many things to this new laptop trying to get it under control that I don't really want to back up any right now. But, thanks a bunch to you two guys. At least now I know where I stand on that part. I also think I will keep the Brightcloud toolbar until I get the new function.

Again, thank you!
Phil
Userlevel 7
No probs Phil...that is what the Community is here for.

As I said before keep checking and keep us posted on the deployment to you.  Hopefully that will be soon and it will go well...if not then post back and we will see what we can do to assist.

Have a great rest of weekend.

Regards

Balders
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Anytime we are happy to help even though we are Volunteers that's how much we like WSA ourselves! :D

Cheers,

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Okay, Guys -- thanks. I will keep up with my install and post back here whwn it chages. And, Daniel, it's starting to grow on me as well -- Webroot, that is. And I am suspicious by nature. If it passes my investigation, it should be good to go for anybody. It's not that I am paranoid, but they just might be out to get me. :)

The only *real* issue I have with the program is how much is allowed "out" by default. I'm slowly coming to terms with it, though. Having hardware firewalls, I'm not THAT concerned with what is trying to get in. The major issue as I see it is what is trying to get out. I'll get a handle on it soon.

Thanks, guys!
Phil
Userlevel 7
Hi Phil

Know what you mean about the possibility of being paranoid in this area...I used to be much the same.

Have you checked out the online help re. ID Protection?

http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C6_IDProtection/CH6a_ManagingID.htm

And more specifically the sub section on Managing Protected Apps?

http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C6_IDProtection/CH6c_ManagingProtectedApps.htm

Worth a gander if you have concerns, and whilst IHMO there is no need to, if you feel there is a need you can always add any apps handling key data or any that you see connecting out, and you should be extra secured against information-stealing malware, etc.

HTH?

Regards

Balders
Userlevel 5
Thanks for that info and the links, Balders. Yes, I have read that entire help file and have the pdf saved on my HDD for reference. The problem with reading it *all*, there is a tendency to forget important bits of the information so it's good to be reminded.

I do understand those sections but it's what the program assigned full access that's giving me issues -- some 108 processes on this brand new laptop. I am not familiar with Win 7 so am having to learn what should and should not be allowed. I'll get there with help from you guys.

Thanks,
Phil
Userlevel 7
Hi Phil

I do understand your concern...which I am sure will dissipate as you get to grips with how good WSA is.;)

As with most of the WSA assignments you can always change the ones that you want to monitor (if available) if you prefer/it makes you feel more secure, that way WSA will keep a closer watching brief.

Regards

Baldrick
Webroot no longer shows results of analysis of my Internet searches in Google or Bing; it works in Yahoo. Previously, a checkmark appeared next to the results e.g. Green, Red, etc. but now I don't see anything in Google or Bing. 

I am running Microsoft Security Essentials as well as Webroot.  However  the disappearance of the check marks occurred well after MSE was loaded. 

I have deselected and then re-selected the website analysis in the Webroot settings.

Webroot did detect and alert me of two suspect websites accessed via Bing today.
Userlevel 7
Hi Guys :D

With impatience I'm also waiting for the new Web Threat Shield.
So far it hasn't upgraded on any of my computers :(
I'm checking it every single day with hope that this will happen soon... :8

Regards,

Mike
Userlevel 5
Hi, Mike

I'm not very patient waiting on software updates. You? :)

You may want to try a toolbar I discovered if you use Firefox or Chrome:

http://www.brightcloud.com/wrtoolbar.php

It is the Webroot (Brightcloud) "Reputation Toolbar". I would hazard a guess it is using the exact same database and engine used by the update we are waiting on. I installed it yesterday and already find my eyes drawn to it while a new site is loading. If you disagree with a rating, you are given oportunity to provide feedback to change the rating.

Just a thought.

Phil
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi, Mike

It is the Webroot (Brightcloud) "Reputation Toolbar". I would hazard a guess it is using the exact same database and engine used by the update we are waiting on. I installed it yesterday and already find my eyes drawn to it while a new site is loading. If you disagree with a rating, you are given oportunity to provide feedback to change the rating.

Just a thought.

Phil
Your right the New Web Shield does use Bright Cloud with other technologies!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Hi, Mike

Just a thought.

Phil
That's correct. BrightClould stands behind the new Webroot's web shield and exactly for the reason you said I am not so impressed by the new shield. If a site is blocked and you don't agree or even you're convinced that the block is a false positive you have to cast your vote to change site's reputation. However it still need not be enough to change reputation unless there is a decent amount of requests. This new shield resembles me WOT, unfortunately.
Userlevel 7
Hi Phil:D
Hi Daniel :D

Phil, sounds great 😃 That's a good idea to install Webroot Toolbar (until anticipated update).
Bbut I've got some doubts... If I install Toolbar, there will be no problems nor onflicts with later update of WebShield??
Userlevel 5
I have no clue, Mike. I do know it will be easy to uninstall if there is a problem when the time comes. Looks like I will be a test case. 🙂 Hopefully some of the Webroot guys on here can tell us.

Phil
Userlevel 7
Hi Miquell

Am currently running IE10 with the new Web Threat Shield and the older Toolbar all installed/enabled...and so far do not seem to be having any issues.  Having said that in terms of FF the Toolbar is installed/enabled but am having problems with the installation of the new Web Threat Shield...which is now the subject of a support ticket and Support are investigating.

My recommendation is that if not already installed then do not.  For a few days of patience there is little point in possibly causing yourself update problems with the new components.  You have not missed the toolbar so far so why be precipitous now. ;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hi Guys when you get the new Web Shield just uninstall the toolbar but it's still useful for others that don't use WSA.

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Thanks for the heads-up, Daniel. Do you know if the two (Toolbar and new Shield) will have potential conflicts? I'm thinking probably not but I *have* been wrong before. :)

Phil