Webfilter filtering extension not showing on FIrefox

• 25 October 2015
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 3
Webroot Filtering Extension works periodically on Firefox using Win 7 64 bit Pro. This is doing this on both of my PC's.

When and if it does show, it is slow loading. If I click on a link from Google and go back to the Google search, it no longer shows.

The Add On Manager does show it as Active, along with a warning that the "Webroot Filtering Extension could not be verified for use in Firefox. Please proceed with caution."

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi JDMoose

Can you check and let us know what version of the Webroot Filtering Extension you have installed/enabled in Firefox?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Ver 1.2.0.14
Userlevel 7
Thanks, I have the same as you in terms of Firefox and I have tried today to see if I can replciate what you are saying about slow downs, etc., but so far no dice...everything is running OK/as expected speed-wise.

My guess would be that this is an issue specifically localised to your system, for whatever reaon, and therefore what I would recommend at this point would be a unistall/clean reinstall of Firefox...if you need assistance with that then I can certianly recommend some pages over at the Mozilla support forums if you are unable to find them.

I would give that go and let us know if that helps and/or resolves your issue. And if needs be once you have done that you could also undertake a clean install of WSA, just to make sure...in case you need them the instructions for the latter are as follows:

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a copy here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click here)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings if so offerred by the installer; you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
Hopefully that should put back the extension as required, so check after to see if there is any change. If not then you best Open a Support Ticket if you have not already done so, or by phone during business hours, if your subscription is directly through Webroot. (The online Ticketing system is manned 24/7).  

Hope that helps further?

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Thanks for the fast response.

I am just making an assumption, but the filtering extension does work with the Bing and Yahoo search engines on Firefox. It also works with Google on IE.

I am using version 41.0.2 on Firefox. It recently updated and I think Google also did an update a week or so ago. I am wondering if this might be a Google/Firefox issue since the filtering extension works with the other search engines on Firefox and on IE/Google.

If I do uninstall and reinstall Firefox, how will I get the filtering extension and Password manager back?

I'm trying to save the uninstall as a last resort. :@

Userlevel 7
Hi JDMoose

There was an issue a number of weeks ago with the Filtering Extension & Firefox due to Mozilla's change in policy about what extensions can be installed, etc. The Webroot Development are believed to have sorted out the issue...finally and as far as I am aware there have been no further issues of late. That is why I am suggesting a clean reinstall of Firefox as I suspect that the issue is localised to your system.

If you uninstall Firefox you should be prompted when next running the browser after reinstall to allow the extensions to be installed/enabled again...but if not then there are workarounds that we can use to get these reinstalled. Having said that if you uninstall/reinstall WSA then that should refresh the extensions and ahve the same effect of having them prompt for installation under the browser thereafter.

I can understand why you are trying to leave an uninstall/reinstall as a last resort but I believe that we are at that point...unless ? has any ideas or thoughts as to how to progress alternatively on the subject?

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 7
I think I would go for the FireFox reinstall as well.

As for those extensions... sometimes they come back right away on their own, sometimes it takes a reboot of the computer, but they SHOULD come back on their own. They always have for me in the past when doing a re-install of a browser.
Userlevel 7
Thanks, David...much obliged for the input.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
I fif as you said and now the password manager did not show up in the extension. How can I get it back. Also having the same issue with Google and it is doing this on both of my PC's.
Userlevel 7
Well, JDMoose, if that happened then you could run the Toolbarfix tool which does what it says on the tin...can provide a link to downlaod it with if required OR you could follow the guidance in this KB Article on Firefox & The Password Manager.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
I think I "may" have figured out the google/WSA filtering issue.

When I perform a search with Google with Firefox, the WSA green icons do not show up. If I click the options gear on the far right of Google search, and click either 'Safe Search on' or 'Safe Search off', the icons will show. I have to perform this each time to get them to show. So I think it is possibley a Google issue...... Sounds good anyway.

I did run the toolbar fix and got my password extension back.  Thanks for helping with that. 😃
Userlevel 7
Hi JDMoose

Glad that you are sorted and well done for figure the main issue out. One to keep an eye on for the future.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Unfortunately this method is just a work around. Hopefully there will be a fix for it on a future update, or I will have to resort in using another search engine.  :8

Thanks for all your help