Solved

Webroot Analyzer in WSA Complete

Userlevel 4
  • Community Guide
  • 116 replies
Sorry if this is a dead horse, but I cannot find an answer to this.

After running Webroot's System Analyzer, one of the things it shows is "Updates are available for your system and have not been installed".

My question is, WHAT updates is it talking about? I checked Windows update and only see three optional updates. Is it talking about those? Even if it is, am I missing somewhere that shows what updates it's telling me about?

I checked the full report and see no mention of updates at all anywhere in the log.

I hope this analyzer becomes more robust in its reporting in the future. It's a nice addition to the security suite.

icon

Best answer by Gorg 28 May 2013, 17:55

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
I would expect the updates would be Windows System updates from Microsoft. Check and see if your Windows Updates are current.
Userlevel 4
In my original post, I stated "I checked Windows update and only see three optional updates". To add to that, yes, I ran a check for updates as well.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Sorry if this is a dead horse, but I cannot find an answer to this.

After running Webroot's System Analyzer, one of the things it shows is "Updates are available for your system and have not been installed".

My question is, WHAT updates is it talking about? I checked Windows update and only see three optional updates. Is it talking about those? Even if it is, am I missing somewhere that shows what updates it's telling me about?

I checked the full report and see no mention of updates at all anywhere in the log.

I hope this analyzer becomes more robust in its reporting in the future. It's a nice addition to the security suite.

I think Lyle is correct, it is probably the optional Windows updates.  It might also be for Java or Adobe Reader or Adobe Flashplayer, they have all had new updates recently.  
Userlevel 4
All of those are up to date.

And from these answers, I am guessing that my question of WHAT the updates are, cannot be discerned from the analyzer tool if we're guessing at what the updates could be. Which is what this post was really about.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
All of those are up to date.

And from these answers, I am guessing that my question of WHAT the updates are, cannot be discerned from the analyzer tool if we're guessing at what the updates could be. Which is what this post was really about.
I don't think you can tell from the Analyzer, but let me run mine really quick.. I know I have Windows updates that have not been installed.  Let me see what I get on my report 🙂  Back in a minute
Userlevel 7
OK, it tells me there is a Service Pack available for Windows, which I already knew.  There are other updates available, but it does NOT tell me specifically which ones.  I have tried looking at Advanced Detail, and in there View Full Report.  Lots of info in the full report, but I cannot seem to locate just what updates it knows are available.
Userlevel 4
I only have a few optional updates in Windows Update. I really wish the analyzer at least put it in the detailed log on what constituted the notification. I mean, It obviously knows what the updates are if it's telling me there are updates, so why can't there be a log entry of its findings?

It's a nice tool but seems like it falls slightly short. The thing has a LOT of detail about everything else it seems, but I would say knowing precisely what updates its alerting you about would rank really high on the list of things I really want to know about without having to play "check all your drivers and apps for updates" in hopes of maybe stumbling on what it wants.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I only have a few optional updates in Windows Update. I really wish the analyzer at least put it in the detailed log on what constituted the notification. I mean, It obviously knows what the updates are if it's telling me there are updates, so why can't there be a log entry of its findings?

It's a nice tool but seems like it falls slightly short. The thing has a LOT of detail about everything else it seems, but I would say knowing precisely what updates its alerting you about would rank really high on the list of things I really want to know about without having to play "check all your drivers and apps for updates" in hopes of maybe stumbling on what it wants.
Gorg, you can always Post and Idea requesting that the ability to display the exact updates available be made visible in the report.  
Userlevel 4
Done 🙂
Userlevel 7
Commented and Kudo'd 🙂
Userlevel 7
It's probably the optional ones if Windows is telling you those are the only ones left to install. Could you install the optional updates to see if that makes System Analyzer's results no longer include this notification in the results?
Userlevel 4
Yep. That's what it was. I really didin't want to install BING desktop. But I took one for the team, and uninstalled it right after testing 🙂
Userlevel 7
Thanks for letting us know!
Userlevel 7
Thanks for taking that hit for the team! It is good to know the answer!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Yep. That's what it was. I really didin't want to install BING desktop. But I took one for the team, and uninstalled it right after testing :)
You can also hide the Bing Desktop update in Windows Update by left clicking on it an choose hide.

HTH,

Daniel