Solved

Webroot complete on a mac running Maverick

• 17 January 2014
  • 36 replies

Userlevel 2
Looking forward to others experience with this software on their mac.  I like the quick scan and the low low resources used, but I do find two "bugs" that i experience.  First, the system analyzer took does not work, period.  It has been stuck at 2% forever and when you open that module WSAC crashes and shuts down then restarts.  Second, the web threat shield does not work.  All I see are tiny gray question marks.  Perhaps I am missing something here, but I have read and rechecked all my settings.  Anyone else experiencing these issues on their mac?  
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 22 January 2014, 23:06

View original

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi bobbyinpa

Welcome to the Community Forums...:D

Whilst not an OSX/Mac user I would recommend that as a first step you try an uninstall, reboot, redownload of the installer (assuming that you got in online) and then a clean reinstall, making sure that you say 'No' to any offer to use previous settings, etc.  And then see if one or both of the issues you have report persist.

If either or both do then I would recommend that you Open a Support Ticket and provide the Support Team with the relavant information and then they should be abler to take a look at this for you/determin & resolve what is causing the issue(s).

Do post back to let us know how things have gone for you, either way. ;)

Regards

Baldrick
FWIW I've been running WSA Mac verisons either as Beta or Production versions for a couple of years on both (Mountain)Lion 10.7, 10.8 on a couple of MBP laptops.  
The only severe issue occurred on Mavericks 10.9 initial release when WSAC 8.0.5.44 (and earlier) encountered, high CPU,  Kernel Panics and WSAC GUI crashes (that incidentally were more prolific using System Analyser).

A combination of the 10.9.1 Mavericks update, removing Sophos 9.x kernel extentions  and testing some WSAC 8.0.6.xx alpha builds removed the show stopping KP's and  also the WSAC GUI crashes. Most of KP's also appeared related to "User Switching".
I've now reverted to WSAC 8.0.5.82:134  production build on 1 MBP and it looks so far as stable as alpha builds.

I did find that on initial WSAC8.0.5.82 install scan that the CPU maxed on WSDaemon.  Rebooting the Mac resolved that.

I still find some anomalies using Safari and Firefox, Chrome with non display of WebShield icons in toolbars, particular when testing on a non admin account.
I used a pkgosxip  package to restore browser extensions when on alpha builds.

Obviously WSA Support channel is the way to go but  as a sanity check you might want to elaborate of various software versions and other diagnostics you've run?:

1. Have you run Repair Permissions via Disk Utility?
2. Clarify the 2% stall on SA?  You have to be in SA module to get a progress bar and that only counts down in minutes not percentage? You also say entering the SA module crashes gui anyway so clearly I'm confused?
3. Clarify "the question marks" wrt Webshield - are these on Safari toolbar, other browsers or somewhere else? 
4. Usual recourse (if you haven't already) is to drag the Webroot app from Finder into trash and then perform a clean re-install, re-enter your keycode and on completion try a reboot first before testing SA and checking browser extensions.

I've included some screen shots for comparison/elaboration if it helps:

Mac version
WSAC versons 
Safari Version
Safari Toolbar WebShield
Safari Extentions
System Analyser

SA does take some time to complete as you can see from above image the hardware,software and analysis are last to complete and possibly where yours is stalling?

You could try the EtreCheck utility (similar to SA) to see if that completes and if so check for other non Webroot kernel extentions and Launch Daemons/Agents that are failing?

Let us know how you get on, or what WSA Support suggest if you follow that path first.

Userlevel 7
Hi Tony

Thanks for taking the trouble to post...and the pick up.  Given your far, far greater knowledge in the area of OSX/Macs I will step back, leave this to you (if that is OK with you?), watch & learn/improve my knowledge in this area...;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 2
All my versions of WSAC are exactly as your posted screenshots.  Installation is a breeze and the scans run quickly.  WSAC has never been able to complete the system analyzer task one time.  It always is stuck at 2% and never goes beyond that point.  I see by your screen shots that your copy has completed the scan, why I am stuck at this point is frustrating.  I came back to Webroot after finding other software available caused my mac to become sluggish.  Not sure if the trade off of a quick mac with malfunctioning software is a good option, but hopefully the antimalware portion will keep me protected.  I have worked with tech support over a 2 month period allowing them to sign onto my machine and to download files off my mac and I never got a solution from Webroot.  That is why I left and went to another product, but again you understand now why I come back.  Just do not understand a long running case with Webroot and they are unable to make this software work correctly on my mac.  I even tried the alphas they gave me without luck.  I really doubt I have software on my mac that is so different from others.   I am hesitant to reopen another tech support ticket considering my last experience.  

Thank you all for your input.  I will re-read the posts and try to figure out this issue on my end.  Please feel free to throw me a suggestion or potential fix.  
Userlevel 7
Hi bobbyinpa

Remember that you can always Open a Support Ticket and follow up on horseman's advice. :)

Regards

Baldrick
@ wrote:
.....  Given your far, far, "somewhat tenuously greater hands-on" knowledge in the area of OSX/Macs I will step back, leave this to you (if that is OK with you?), watch & learn/improve my knowledge in this area...;)
I corrected your post - don't want to give to give false hope to OP and do I have any choice? 😉 and it will be a very very short skill transfer then!  ..... ;)

@ wrote:
All my versions of WSAC are exactly as your posted screenshots.  ....
As you've already engaged Webroot Support then it's highly unlikely I'll stumble on anything that either WSA or yourself have not already tried!

Other than confirming the versions are the same you haven't responded to 1 - 4 inclusive in my previous post?
However I'd expect WSA would have at least suggested 1 & 4 (the latter Baldrick already suggested)?

As I configure both my laptops with multiple boot volumes as Apple releases newer major point releases of OSX10, I did find that sometimes updating from a Lion or Mountain partition to Mavericks (rather than a clean install) was less stable wrt some apps that had kernel extentions.  
Running Etrecheck (as SA doesn't complete) might yield some clues?.  That said this utility simply amalgamates the Mac System Profile + Logs(and presents in a slightly more readable format) , and I'd have expected WSA to have analysed that and your System/boot/crash/panic logs anyway.

I did find (albeit at the time I was experiencing kernel panics rather than just only application crashes) that resetting a clean 10.9.1 install using the recovery partition did re-stablise my system. With jounaling enabled you shouldn't really need to but....   Also if you have complete Time Machine or SuperDuper (even bootable) backup images and perhaps multiple volumes then performing a clean Mavericks instal and migrating additional apps/data might be the last resort worth trying if you haven't already?

Since you haven't even dislosed you Mac model(& installed RAM)  then I can't even point you to any likely threads in Apple Community Forums, but there's numerous Mavericks related appends with say Retina models and graphics chipsets problems etc etc. :(

By the way you didn't specify what alpha build versions you tried but I still had problems upto 8.0.5.74 alpha.   Latest I have on other MBP (5,5 + 4GB ram) is 8.0.6.41:139. 

Userlevel 7
Hi horseman...I think that you are far, far too modest...and anyway my skills re. Mca?OSX are just about nil...but I am prepared to learn/be transferred to. 😉
Userlevel 2
Appreciate your time and post Tony, but working with level 1 and 2 support from Webroot is nothing short of maddening.  They drop the ball and do not contact you as they state they will, it seems like no one speaks to each other and I find I am answering the same questions over and over.  The mac guru at Webroot contacted me twice and downloaded files off my mac but again, no solution or even contact from Lucas.  It is a shame, the antimalware portion works well, but it is far, far from complete.   At this point I could not recommend others on a mac to use this software until I see it function as it is promised.  Again, thanks for your response, have to think about tech support again, but I just do not want to go through all that again only to end up exactly where I am today.
Userlevel 2
Sorry, forgot to add my imac late 2012 with 32 GB RAM and using NVIDIA video with 1 TB fusion HD.  OS is 10.9.1 and all updates are applied.
Quite understand you not wanting to regurgitate all that's gone before particularly if Support don't appear to be regularly engaging.

Probably only recourse left is for Mod/Admin to engage here and see if they can illicit some status for you? ( I suspect us Mac users are a minority and thus Lucas probably represents a major part of Level2 for Mac and probably run ragged as a result! )
Userlevel 2
Well, I dug myself in deep on this issue.  I reformatted my mac hard drive and reinstalled a clean Maverick.  I then installed all the macx OS updates available.  Once I completed this, I then installed Webroot Secureanywhere Complete and allowed the program to install the updated version (8.0.5.82:139).  I then allowed a full scan and allowed it to report all was clear.  I then ensured I was activated and signed into all modules on my account web page.

Now the fun begins.  I opened up System Analyzer and it actually ran until completion!  This is a first.  I now downloaded all my purchased apps from the app store and once done again ran a system analyzer which still worked fine.  Then I added one at a time programs I purchased that installed via DVD or CD.  Once each completed I check to see if system analyzer failed, which it did not.  I then found the culprit, Prosoft Drive Genius and Prosoft Data Backup 3.  Both were installed one a time and all updates applied and each cause system analyzer to crash and burn.  Once I uninstalled them system anaylzer worked fine again.  I see system analyzer actually scans my thunderbolt RAID setup too, most likely that is why it reports RAM usage is high.  

So, now I got Webroot that is actually working correclty, but my loss as I used Prosoft software exclusively for all my bakcups and drive issues if any occured.  Had to download CarbonCopyCLoner for my backups and it works OK, so that is fixed.

On my account web page, I clicked on my mac and a small popup appears offering many different tasks.  If I click on system cleanup, it states the command was sent, but system analyzer always reports I have mucho temp files and cookies that may contain personal info.   Perhaps this does not work on a mac like the PC?

I wish to thank each of you who responded to my post.  You all were very kind and empathetic, greatly appreciated.  Webroot on a mac does have a learning curve.  Tony, could all this information be sent to Lucas at the mac division of Webroot?  I think this may help him out a great deall and prevent any frustrations.  Again, thanks to all.
Userlevel 7
Hi bobbyinpa

Thanks for all the feedback...great stuff.  I am sure that Lucas will find this interesting so I have PM'd him on your behalf with the link to your post.

Hope that hekps?

Regards

Baldrick
@ wrote:
....  If I click on system cleanup, it states the command was sent, but system analyzer always reports I have mucho temp files and cookies that may contain personal info.   Perhaps this does not work on a mac like the PC?...........
 Tony, could all this information be sent to Lucas at the mac division of Webroot?  I think this may help him out a great deall and prevent any frustrations.  Again, thanks to all.
FWIW I'm relieved a clean re-install fixed the SA issue although personally I wouldn't have thought a prior OS re-install was also neccessary? There is a convoluted method of stopping the WSservices and deleting files at the "root level" if any WSA remnants are left  when attempting the usual de-install method is percieved to have potentially failed but dabbling with "hidden root user" or even marginally safer sudo terminal commands can be somewhat hazardous. Re-installing OS is understandably safer albeit more time consuming while achieving the desired result.

There's certainly some learning curve on Mac with WSA regarding the client perhaps compared to PC as the latter has a far longer history from Prevx/WSA Development point of view back to mid/early part of last decade. I often think when searching for Mac specific problems that there could be some value add to all readers if Mac issues were separated out into a Mac (specific) Board. Clearly Forum management don't think that's necessary.

Obviously backend issues would be common to both Mac & PC so perhaps avoiding a OS distinction is Forum managements justification in not granting the far smaller number of Mac users having a separate board? 
Otherwise the Mac HFS+ file system and OS housekeeping is(debatably)  less suceptable to the detritus and fragmentation sometimes experienced on Windows FS and/or it's associated registry "hive"? 

As regards Lucas's potential interest I can't comment - I don't work for WSA nor have any authoritative insight into how Support are staffed.  However I suspect only a detailed SA report is of any use anyway along with usual scan log report?. These are far too long to include here "inline" but a public link to an external repository share could be an alternative?

Regarding the cookies and temporary files I repeatedly get the latter and also remotely invoking System Cleaner(or any local alternative maintenance utility) doesn't appear to reduce these anyway. Be aware that the command(on Management Consol) are "queued" and won't be "pushed" untill the agent has otherwise contacted WRserver at some point or the end client user has requested a "Check for Updates". :(

So there may well be some delay, and possibly even between reboots?

I actually queried the VP of Development on (another Website) what thresholds they employed in SA itself to generate the reports but was subsequently informed these were "largely provided mainly for WSA's more technical partners"! 😞 I think he really meant "Don't ask - I have'nt got time to explain!" ;)

Userlevel 7
.I think a Mac Forum would be a good idea (I am not a Mac user myself).  I try my best to give helpful tips when I can to Mac questions, but my abilities there are admittedly rather insufficient and I know it!

As the Mac product is pretty new still, there had not been much of a need for a Mac forum.  WIth the increase in Mac userbase, maybe it is time to have one!  Why don't you toss in a new Idea at the Contribute section asking that they consider creating one?

@DavidP1970 wrote:
..... Why don't you toss in a new Idea at the Contribute section asking that they consider creating one?

Now you and I have already had that discussion on another thread ! 😉  So you know what my (polite) response will be?  ;)

You fill yer boots and go for it!   Good luck.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@DavidP1970 wrote:
..... Why don't you toss in a new Idea at the Contribute section asking that they consider creating one?

Now you and I have already had that discussion on another thread ! 😉  So you know what my (polite) response will be?  ;)

You fill yer boots and go for it!   Good luck.
It would make no sense for me to do so as everyone at Webroot already knows I am not a Mac user 🙂
Userlevel 7
Go on Tony...fill yer own boots...David is right...he is known as a PC reprobate 😉...so a Mac Forum suggestion from him will not cut as much ice as if it comes from someone like you.

Just a friendly nudge...in the right direction. :D

Baldrick
Userlevel 2
I would be enthusiastic to see a mac only webroot forum category.  We may be small in umbers, but we still pay for the service and we need assistance too.  I truly hope the power to be embrace this.
Userlevel 7
Good idea...so bobbyinpa...why don't you take a trip over to the Ideas Exchange and suggest that as a new feature request...;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
I would be enthusiastic to see a mac only webroot forum category.  We may be small in umbers, but we still pay for the service and we need assistance too.  I truly hope the power to be embrace this.

Yes, It would be awesome for lack of a better word. I'v read all these posts from Horseman thanks to referrals from the community..our advisors, that if Mac users could retrieve more information about trouble shooting our Macs then we wouldn't in up in the wrong forums? Aw having trouble here. I agree that it would be a relief to have a Mac WRA section. I've gone through all of these issues since October, November, December with the help of WR support tickets. They do respond quickly and I can't tell you how grateful I am for their support. Dedicated to their job and you can't beat it. Yes a clean install of Maverick and a new HD did help me but I have a just one more issue for them and hopefully its a simple fix. I appreciated the lenthy posts from Horseman and from you Bobbyinpa. Nice to have you in this WRA community. Learning from the best here.
Userlevel 7
Hi sherjj

The place for this is over in the Ideas Exchange (see link at the top of this page)...and there already is a feature request for such a thing.  So amble over to there and you will be able to add your comments, support the idea by kudoing it, and general see what others are saying about the idea.

The Community Management Team monitor the Exchange and whilst there is no promise that they will act on the features suggested they do provide feedback on the ideas, etc.

Hope that helps? ;)

Regards

Baldrick
@ wrote:
Hi sherjj

The place for this is over in the Ideas Exchange (see link at the top of this page)...and there already is a https:///t5/Ideas-Exchange/Mac-forum-needed/idi-p/78687 for such a thing.  So amble over to there and you will be able to add your comments, support the idea by kudoing it, and general see what others are saying about the idea......
Cheers - I knew if I waited long enough then I wouldn't have wear my typing digit out and do it myself! ;)

Incidentally does Sherjj have a satisfactory roadmap to resolving his issues?  I was a tad confused with his symptoms/timeline and his somewhat apparently unstructured approach that potentially risks loosing not only the forensics but at worst loosing any recoverable data?

WSAC support would have normally explained those risks and/or hand-held him thru the process anyway but it's a tad difficult (and time consuming) ensurinng the user has provided all the relevant environment info by doing that remotely via Support Tickets unless they arrange a remote session as well?
Userlevel 7
Hi horseman

How are you doing...long time no post? :D

Sherjj is in fact a Lady...rather than a guy...;), and as to having a "satisfactory roadmap to resolving..." her issues...I could not possibly say as I am no Mac expert...as you well know...:(?

Regards

Baldrick
@ wrote:
Hi horseman

How are you doing...long time no post? :D

Sherjj is in fact a Lady...rather than a guy...;), and as to having a "satisfactory roadmap to resolving..." her issues...I could not possibly say as I am no Mac expert...as you well know...:(?

Regards

Baldrick
Bless you - usual floundering but still tentatively alive! Currently unsuccessfully attempting to suffer fools gladly whilst UK's main cable ISP (Virgin Media) is rolling out SuperBoost/SuperChar (or some asinine marketing title) upgrades and their own configured F-Secure Cloud storage application to be released in a month or so. ;)
Needless to say, just like this hallowed fora - there's a marked sparcity of Mac users trialling the latter as well...   :( 

My profuse apologies to the dear lady - I was temporarily gender dis-orientated thus offering a  tenuous mitigation in my defense relating to my advancing senility...  :(

Well I'm no Mac expert either so she's in good company!  ;) 

It was just some of her symptoms appeared to relate to cratering the Mac OSX journalling system back last year which was exacerbated(if not caused) by an unilaterally certification change that Apple did between Mavericks Beta and 10.9.0 production release. 
That was subsequently "worked-around" by WSA but caused me some hair pulling and thus I'm now sharing part of your Forum handle! ;) 
I've probably got the timeline completely wrong along with my guess at her environment/Lan topology anyway but using another procured (internal) HDD (double capacity of existing, subject to her Mac spec obviously) and using target access to bit copy a bootable image volume via Mac DISK UTILITY may have preserved her recoverable data as well and some more comprehensive forensics for WSAC support?
I fear the HDD(s) may now be overwritten beyond salvageable anyway....   😞   

Along with that pessimistic prognosis I hope she also won't take further offence at me rudely refering to her in the third person either!

But she is in far better/safer hands with WSA Support than some of us archmchair "wanna-be" diagnosticians that's for sure! ;)
We all wish her the best no doubt....
Userlevel 7
Hi Tony

Am with Virginmedia too, but they seem to have forgotten about us when it comes to superdooper broadband, etc...but after hearing about your issues I am beginning to wonder if I should just stay as is...for the moment. :8

Interesting what you post in relation to sherjj's problems...and may be something for her to mention to Support when they get back in touch.

Have a great weekend.

Regards

Baldrick