Solved

Webroot constant cpu, crashing PC, asking for permission to run WRSA.exe -ls?

• 14 April 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge +3

Last night the applications on my PC started to hang, I couldn’t even get the PC to shutdown, I had to physically shut it down.  The only odd things I noticed were that webroot was running at a constant 11-12% cpu, and a bit earlier there had been a new message pop-up, asking for permission to run \webroot\wrsa.exe -ls (I said yes).

Again this morning Excel hung as I was trying to use it, Outlook also hung.  So I tried shutting everything down to reboot.  I managed to kill all apps but everything was super slow - even selecting shutdown from the start menu.  Even once shutdown was selected it wasn’t shutting down.

Again I looked in task manager, and webroot was at 11-12% cpu.  I right clicked on the webroot icon, and chose to shutdown protection.  Almost immediately the PC shut down (indicating that it was webroot that was interfering with the shutdown)

Even though I’ve just rebooted I got 2 more pop ups during this asking for permission to run WRSA and it’s again running at 11-12% cpu.

Any ideas what’s going on?  A virus attacking webroot?  or a dodgy update?  Anyone else seeing this?

Win 10 Home 64bit / Webroot complete 9.0.28.39

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 16 April 2020, 18:33

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @bobkate 

Try a clean reinstall as most times it fixes many issues!

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
  • DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done

Please let us know if that resolves your issue?

Thanks,

Badge +3

The problem went away on it’s own.  However, after running out of space on my system drive I’ve noticed that my WRData folder is 65gb, with several large (20gb) files over the last few days - the days when webroot was going mental with constant CPU and lots of disk activity.

It could be a coincidence, but it seems likely given the timing that the 2 things might be related.

So what are these DB files and why would it create a stupidly large one?  What was it doing?

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @bobkate 

Please Submit a Support Ticket and ask them to whitelist your Unknown files and after they reply back to you then do a clean reinstall. The reason if you have many db.numbers.db files as Webroot is Monitoring some Unknown processes in case of a possible infection then if it turns out to be an infection it can rollback to a pre-infection state.

At this time I have no db.numbers.db files on my system but all of the other db files are needed.

After uninstalling check and make sure this Folder is gone C:\ProgramData\WRData and if it’s still there then please delete it before reinstalling WSA.