Solved

Webroot Filtering Extension

• 8 October 2013
  • 38 replies

Userlevel 3
When I opened up my Firefox web browser this morning I had a web page pop up asking me if I want to install Webroot Filtering Extension 1.0.0.8. What is the purpose of this filtering extension and why did it pop up asking me if I wanted to install it?
:S
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 8 October 2013, 22:12

View original

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes you would want to install it as it's part of the New Web Shield for 2014. http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C3_Shielding/CH3a_WhatShieldsDo.htm#kanchor43

TH
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Webroot developers/ @ 

Where can I learn more about this extension he is talking about?

Userlevel 3
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I am always leary about pop up add ons or updates.  😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Anytime as they are rolling it out slowly have a look at my post here with pictures! https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Internet/New-interface-web-site-list/m-p/59903#M1822

TH
Userlevel 7
@ What's the question, and perhaps we can answer it?
Userlevel 5
@ wrote:
@ What's the question, and perhaps we can answer it?
He wants to know more about the new web filtering extension. Presumably what it does and how it works.
Userlevel 7
It helps to have specifics, but in summary...
The Web Shield now works via an extension. That extension needs to be installed and active in a browser in order for the Web Shield to work. Some browsers may ask permission to enable the extension the first time the browser is opened after the extension is installed. You will want to be sure to enable it if requested.
Userlevel 5
Thanks Jim.

Is there anywhere where@explanoit, and others, can learn more about it?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
That doesn't sound real super for businesses whose users aren't allowed to decide what extensions their browser gets to load... And what about home users that do not agree to load this extension they aren't aware of? I wouldn't agree to install it if I saw it, I would just assume it's another worthless toolbar like other AV suites have.

=

I really need a complete rundown of exactly what the extension does and where it hooks in and modifies things. Browser compatibility is a very delicate thing for some of our stuff.
Userlevel 5
Having seen a screenshot of an extension request elsewhere, it looks like some of this web filtering is leveraging the Brightcloud website categorisation system.

The results should therefore match the info you'd get if you entered the same URL at Brightcloud's website.
Userlevel 7
As a browser extension, it hooks into your browser.  When you visit a website, that website is checked via the Webroot Intelligence Network.  If the site is a threat, an alert will pop up stating there is a threat.  You will have a choice to go there anyway or not proceed.  Search results are annotated with little icons, visible in the help doc TripleHelix linked to earlier, which classify the site as safe, malicious, or something between.

I'd encourage you to try this functionality in a test environement when it's available for business customers such as yourself @ and let us know if you find any issues.  While we don't anticipate any unforeseen technical difficulties, we'll be happy to help if you encounter any.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I found the link to the Webroot Intelligence Network it looks great and lots of info. http://www.webroot.com/us/en/partners/technology-partners/web-content-classification

Daniel
i am a blind user running text to speach software  with webroot and Windows 8.  I enabled the Webroot Filtering Extention and discovered a result I do not want.  It somehow passes a bunch of unwanted information to my speachg software, I.E. "catagory" "probability percentage info" etc. etc. etc....
This extra information is passed on to me as words and the strainge thing is there is no corresponding words or text on the screen for sighted persons to varify, It is just too much extra info, I don't care about catagories percentages or any other useless information, I can decide for my self!
I originally thought the issue was an update on my speach software but now have found out through ilimination that it is the Filtering Extentions in Webroot.  If this is going to be part of what I have to deal with in Webroot, I will find another Antivirus solution.
The internet is a mind field of extra information that may look pretty to someone who can see, but to a person who is blind it is a pain the backside!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello c3sam, and welcome to the Webroot Community. Sorry to hear that the new filtering extension is not playing nice with your software. Could you please contact Support who will work to achieve an agreeable solution, and further increase WSA's general compatibility SecureAnywhere Product Support | Webroot 
In the meantime it may be best to disable the extension, to best use your software. WSA will still be protecting you.

Userlevel 7
Thank you so much for your feedback, c3sam.

We would love to resolve this conflict as soon as possible and the support system is the best place to do so. Please be sure to list the name of the speach-to-text software in your support ticket.
I have contacted the support team, they tell me it is something to do with those colors you sighted people see on google and bing, green, yellow and red, my speech software, JAW's, must get some alternative text related to those colors....
Webroot support suggested I just turn off the Filtering Extention since it isn't necessary.
I assume that means I am still protected.
Userlevel 7
c3sam - Would you mind Sending me a Private Message with the email address that you used to open the support ticket so that I can investigate further? 

JAW's should notify you and read the warning when hovering over a malicious site. Webroot will also protect you even if the link is clicked. However, In order for this to function properly, Web Filtering will need to be active.

I'll investigate this further as soon as I receive your email address.

Click here to send me a private message.
I had the popup come up and had to "x" out it before the browser would let me do a search on the extension to check it's legitimacy, and now that I've read about it, I want to use it, but it's not listed in my extensions or popping up anymore. I am using Google Chrome on Windows 7. How would I go about activating this extension now?
Userlevel 7
Hello alyssa_6_11 and welcome to the Webroot Community!

I am also using Chrome on Windows 7.  During a recent re-install of WSA I had the same problem, and tried pretty much everything to fix it.  What ended up working was simple: Backup the Bookmarks, uninstall Chrome, reboot, re-install Chrome, reboot.  That fixed it for me and was quicker and easier than most of the other things I tried that failed.

Userlevel 7
@ I see you gave me a Kudo.. does that mean that you have things working now and re-installing Chrome fixed things?
After some time dealing with the filtering extentions, I have decided to disable it.  the original issue was to much information for my speach software, but the real issue is The extreme overhead on internet explorer and if WebRoot doesn't address the issue, I am and others should look elsewhere.  I was very happpy with the small footprint of WR, but it is becoming a monster like Norton and all the old boys of the past!!!
I am continuelly getting I.E. prompts to disable WR add-ins because they are slower than the recommended default minimums and I am noticing a real slow down in browsing.
I am even getting continual warnings about even absolute secure web sites such as investing, banking, etc.....  what's up with all this????  they can't all be bad?????

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Have you continued with support and they can't find anyway to make it work for you?

Daniel
Userlevel 7
I am not noticing a huge slow down, but at least a small slow down is likely with any Web Filtering, URL checking software or extension.  If they slow down is not really the biggest problem, but the warnings are, the warning threshhold is easily adjusted.
Userlevel 7
Hi c3sam

I know what you mean about "continuelly getting I.E. prompts to disable...add-ins because they are slower than the recommended default minimums..." but in my case it is for Mircosoft add-ons not WSA ones.  I would certainly take Daniel's advice and get in touch with Support about this it does not sound normal.

Regards

Baldrick
if you were using speech to text software as I am, you would notice a major slow down. I have had this PC for 5 years now, dual quad core 2.8 Pentium and have only experienced slow down since the WB filtering stuff. My speech software stops responding for 20 or more seconds and sometimes I think it has crashed. to me, this is not right, and I am not some unexperienced person, been a PC guy and programmer since 1989!!