Webroot Filtering Extension for Microsoft Edge

Userlevel 5
Another question coming to me it has been a productive morning thus far, I use Edge as my primary browser, when I pop to IE I see that the Webroot filtering extension is there and active, but see no such notice in Edge.

Will this tech be added so that I can take advantage of it in the new microsoft browser?

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Microsoft only allows a very small selection of extensions/addons in Edge.

Currently, we don't have any extensions within the browser, which means that you won't see a website's rating or the checkmarks but we do still block malicious pages within the Edge browser.

Sorry about that! Tell Satya Nadella to let the Edge Team step it up  ;)
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Also you can't add Edge to the Identity Shield because if you do then you can't type in the address bar. So that's why Edge is not supported by Webroot at this time but it's a Microsoft issue.
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
At least once a week I complain to Microsoft about this issue.  Mabe if we all did that they might get off their arses?
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
This is annoying, and I'd like a fix, but I understand it may be due to Edge being more locked down and more secure, therefore maybe not needing Webroot identity protection in the same way as leaky IE 11 ? 

By the way, I've seen several add-ons for Edge, so why isn't it up to Webroot to resolve this issue rather rather than MS? I'm genuinely interested to understand more.
Userlevel 7
There is nothing to 'fix', as you put it, just the fact that Webroot cannot port its extensions to work under Edge. I am sure they would if they could but as they cannot the are not.

And I am sure that they are not about to divulge the details as to why that is...for obvious reasons.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
There is nothing to 'fix', as you put it, just the fact that Webroot cannot port its extensions to work under Edge. I am sure they would if they could but as they cannot the are not.

And I am sure that they are not about to divulge the details as to why that is...for obvious reasons.
Right! But it would be nice to hear from Development to see what they have to say and if it can be done and if it's on the road map or not? @ Personally I don't use Edge so it's not a big deal to me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
@ wrote:

Right! But it would be nice to hear from Development to see what they have to say and if it can be done and if it's on the road map or not? @ Personally I don't use Edge so it's not a big deal to me.
I like to hear if this is in Development as well because I do use Edge and find Edge to be rather quick and useful. So it would be the icing on the cake if Webroot was able to use the extensions at some point and time. 😉
So if i read this thread correctly, i am edge only user.
So i should not use webroot if i use edge cause none of the protection will work?
Please advise
Userlevel 7
Hi Athlon64BIT

Welcome to the Community Forums.

No, you are not the only Edge user here...I also use it and I am sure that there are a number of others who do also.

In terms of protection when running Edge I should point out that 95% of the WRSA protection related to browsing is handled by WRSA itself, i.e., it is not dependant on the extension being present or not. The extension basically provides the reporting of the reputation analysis that Webroot provide against web sites so not have the extension when using Edge means that you will not be notified of which web sites proffered via the main search engines are safe, suspicious, dangerous, etc.

Should you venture onto one of those sites you will still be protected by WRSA in terms of attacks, drive by downloads, etc.

Hope that helps?

Regards, Baldrick
Thank you Baldrick for the response.
Userlevel 7
Hi Athlon64BIT

You are most welcome.

Do let us know if you have any further questions that need answering...we will do our best to help.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi All,
With the increasing adoption of Win 10 and the Edge browser we have been looking into ways we can continue to protect our customers against browser based/phising attacks. Although it has been on our roadmap, we have had to push it due to the limitations from microsoft. 
Good news is that our Web threat shield team has been working closely with microsoft in figuring out a way we can continue to protect our customers on the edge browser and have come up with an approach that works. It is still in the concept stages but we have prioritized this feature and hope to release early next year. 

Thanks
Pawani

Userlevel 7
Badge +36
That's wonderful news.......................thanx for sharing!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks Pawani!

Daniel
Userlevel 7
Well, if it is going to be beta tested then I am very much looking forward  to that beta being released. :D
Userlevel 7
Can't wait to be on the 'bleeding edge'. :D