Solved

Webroot is blocking Firefox 57 and Windows updates?

• 30 November 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
Hi there ~ This is my first post, and I'll tell you right up front, I'm not deeply technical, knowing enough to probably be dangerous, but I'm getting pretty frustrated with Webroot and how it won't let me access Firefox when it's running.

I have Windows 7, 64-bit, with Webroot Secureanywhere (I also have System Mechanic Pro 11 but use Webroot for my firewall, security, etc.). When Firefox first moved to 57 a couple of weeks ago, Webroot prevented it from loading, so I contacted WR Customer Support and had to uninstall and reinstall, which I did. Okay, it worked after that, after I disabled the Webroot Filtering Extension.

This morning, I had an "important Windows update," a security fix for 2010 of some sort, which I installed. After I installed it, Firefox started freezing up. Again. I disabled Webroot (and enabled System Mechanic security) and then Firefox was fine, so then I did the Windows update and that was fine. What the heck? I want to use Webroot and I can live without the filtering extension, etc., but I can NOT live with having to uninstall and reinstall each time a new update of some sort comes out. The weird thing is (to me, anyway) that things are fine on my laptop - even WR extensions work and it doesn't freeze! What am I doing wrong? Or what do I need to do? I'm thankful I have System Mechanic Pro to at least cover my computer's butt while I'm trying to figure this out!

Thanks for any help you can give!
icon

Best answer by RetiredTripleHelix 30 November 2017, 19:03

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The best thing for you to do is Submit a Support Ticket again and ask them to look at your system.

Daniel
Badge +1
Okay, thank you very much! Appreciate your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I found that simply having firefox on a system on our test network was interferring with windows updates from windows 7 version spanning to windows 10. one of the later updates to 10 required me to uninstall firefox for some odd reason. It also happened to like around 2000 some odd other users which is strange. Mabye a push to get more to use edge instead. with microsoft's current push to also eliminate legacy win 32 in favor of thier new platform I wouldn't put it past them.
Badge +1
Yes, I am still having problems and have had to shut down my Webroot protection on my Windows 7 PC, and my laptop also can be kind of "wonky" with it from time to time. Fortunately, I have System Mechanic System Shield to use as a backup. I'm still trying to find the time to contact Webroot directly (as they asked me to do because the logs they asked me to send didn't do whatever they were supposed to, or they couldn't receive them), but have had no time yet. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can get to that, but it really bugs the heck out of me that it just won't let me access Firefox. And I hate Explorer.
Userlevel 7
@, I've re-opened your ticket with the Team. Please continue working with them directly to resolve the issue.
I don't think so, at least on my computer. Last week I got the Firefox 58.0 update and just today, the 58.0.1 update.
All the Windows 10 updates are just as current as the Firefox updates are.