Webroot not blocking in chrome

Hi, I am very new here. I've had webroot a while but recently I have been having trouble with chrome. I have read all the reports about the green check marks next to searches which is happening to me... but I also read that it should still block potentially harmful websites. I went to a website that I know webroot blocks but it didn't block it in chrome. In other browsers it still brings up the warning but in chrome it allows me to go to the website. Is this also a common issue right now in addition to the green checkmarks disappearing?

24 replies

Userlevel 6
@ wrote:
Hi, I am very new here. I've had webroot a while but recently I have been having trouble with chrome. I have read all the reports about the green check marks next to searches which is happening to me... but I also read that it should still block potentially harmful websites. I went to a website that I know webroot blocks but it didn't block it in chrome. In other browsers it still brings up the warning but in chrome it allows me to go to the website. Is this also a common issue right now in addition to the green checkmarks disappearing?
Welcome to the community!

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Webroot is working on it and will be tsken care of very soon.

It is due to Google Chrome's new policy that extensions must go thru their store.

You are however protected by the Webroot shield, the green checks do noit show, but the bad websites are blocked. You will see a message should you venture to a malicious site.

While you are here, browse around, and enjoy the community!

Please come back often and share your experiences!

Beth
Hi BB97 thank you for the response but nothing is showing when I go to a malicious website. I went to one that used to give me a warning when I go and still gives me warnings on other browsers, but not in chrome. The big page that says the site was blocked and "We recommend that you don't continue to this website because it is reported to contain the following threats:" then the reason why. That's not showing up in chrome for me anymore.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello and welcome to the Webroot Community!

Have a look here for correct info: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/No-Green-Checks-next-to-websites-on-google-bing-searches-on/m-p/130122#M7727

Make sure you have Web Filtering Extenison in Chrome!

Thanks,

Daniel ;)

Hi TripleHelix, I did see that forum but the "webroot secure anywhere" thing that is supposed to show up when you go to malicious sites does not show up for me. I have the filtering extension enabled. I've uninstalled and reinstalled chrome, but it's still not blocking the sites. I go to a site that should be blocked and I don't have any warnings or anything.
I did try to add the crx thing but it won't let me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi TripleHelix, I did see that forum but the "webroot secure anywhere" thing that is supposed to show up when you go to malicious sites does not show up for me. I have the filtering extension enabled. I've uninstalled and reinstalled chrome, but it's still not blocking the sites. I go to a site that should be blocked and I don't have any warnings or anything.
Can you please try dragging the file into the Open Chrome Browser so it can update it's like reinstalling the extension and try a bad site as I have no issues here.

Daniel
I did try. It opens a thing that says it could be harmful to add an extension, I say it's okay and then it just says "Apps, extensions, and user scripts cannot be added from this website".
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Can you try in the Open Chrome Browser with the Extension page and try again like in the picture above? Also are you using a different Build of Chrome?

I've dragged it into the extension section but nothing has changed. That is the same chrome number that I have.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I just did a test as I removed the Extension and dragged it into the Chrome Browser Window and it installs. Try this and I will send you a PM with a link to a known bad site!

I'll remove the extension and try it again :)
Edit: it installed the new one but is still allowing me to go to the site. I double checked the whitelist but it is empty.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Can you please do a clean reinstall of WSA? Please follow the following steps:

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online for all of the following steps
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again

Please let us know if that corrects your issue? If not then you will have to Submit a Support Ticket and they will be happy to help you!

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
All right I will try that tomorrow if I can find my code. I recently went through a move and I have no idea where any of my stuff is, but pretty sure I know where my box of computer discs is. Thanks 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Your Keycode can be found here: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C12_MyAccount/CH11a_ViewingAccount.htm also don't use the Disc as you don't need it just download a fresh copy in my instructions above! Also if it doesn't show go here a make sure this is unchecked and click save.

Daniel ;)

Oh wow I didn't know you could find the keycode like that... I feel a bit daft now haha. Thank you so much, I'll do that now.
Okay I have no idea how to reinstall. I run the program I downloaded it it doesn't say install anywhere.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Did you uninstall? And when you download make sure you know where the file is, it's only 750kb's in size. Also follow my instructions to the letter!!

Can you please do a clean reinstall of WSA? Please follow the following steps:

• Make sure you have a copy of your Keycode
  • KEEP the computer online for all of the following steps
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your keycode and don't import any settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again

Please let us know if that corrects your issue? If not then you will have to Submit a Support Ticket and they will be happy to help you!

Thanks,

Daniel 🙂
Yes I uninstalled, I know where the program downloaded to. I double click it and it brings up something aking to run, and I hit run and it just opens webroot with no indication of an installation process.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
See here what to look for: http://www.webroot.com/En_US/SecureAnywhere/PC/WSA_PC_Help.htm#C1_GetStarted/CH1a_Installing.htm also did you reboot after uninstall?

Again please follow the steps above closely! Make sure you have a copy of your keycode, Uninstall, Reboot and Install with the fresh installer enter your keycode and after the install scan Reboot once again.

Thanks,

Daniel
Okay it is installing. For some reason when I uninstalled and rebooted it put it back on my computer or something. Now it's installing. I don't know what went wrong the first time but now it's working. I'll let you know what happens once it is done 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Ok Great and check after the second reboot in Chrome to see if the Extensions are installed if not Drag the file into Chrome once again.

And this is the file you will have to Drag into Chrome for the Password Manager if it's not there already!

All right I've done everything including making sure everything is enabled in extensions... but  it's still letting me onto the site that is blocked in other browsers and used to be blocked on chrome. I guess I'll have to put in a ticket or something?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
One last thing? What OS are you using and if it's 32bit or 64bit?

And please Submit a Support Ticket and they will be happy to help you sort this out and please let us know as it could help others!

Thanks,

Daniel

Windows 7 64bit
And I will, thank you so much for all the help you provided. Hopefully it will be able to get fixed soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Same here very strange so it's best to Submit a Support Ticket from here on as I tried everything and please let us know the outcome as it can help others!

And as I said here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/No-Green-Checks-next-to-websites-on-google-bing-searches-on/m-p/130122#M7727
All I can say is Webroot is working on it as Google is forcing all extensions to be installed via the Chrome store! 😠 Even though I have them installed it does not show Checkmarks but the Web Shield still works.

Thanks,

Daniel 😠