Webroot popup asking for permission to use an extension that "may change the way that Chrome works??

a webroot popup asking for permission to use an extension that "may change the way that Google Chrome works?? Anyone know the background on this?

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @,

Welcome to the Community Forum,

Webroot has a Webfilter Extension that is very important to install and WSAC has a Password  Manager Extention that needs to be installed.

The Webfilter is an important part of Webroot to protect you from malicious sites. Please have a look here at the PC User Guide.

Basically the Web Filter protects you from bad Web Pages by Blocking them and give Web Site Ratings when doing searches with Google, Yahoo and Bing. All done by the Webroot WIN Cloud: http://www.brightcloud.com/platform/webroot-intelligence-network.php & http://www.brightcloud.com/tools/change-request-url-reputation.php

Hope this helps clarify things! If you have more questions then please ask.

Kind Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Hi Sherry

Your reply has prompted me to ask about the Webfiltering Extension.  I am using Firefox 38.0.5 and I canot find a Webroot Firefox extension of any kind when I search for one. Is this resticted to WR Complete by any chance as I am just using WSA?
I have seen several threads on this topic and am wondering if I'm not fully prorected.

Kind regards

Nemo
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hello @

Did you check in your browser to see if the extension installed and see if it's disabled?

Is this option enabled?

I'm not sure why you don't have the Webfilter foir FF. There has been information to the effect if you uninstall and reinstall FF. the Webfilter might be installed. Otherwise usually a Clean reinstall of Webroot will fix this. Those are two options that I have for you. Other then contacting the Support Team to correct this.EDITED:
What you could try, which sometimes works, is to uninstall Firefox, reboot, download a fresh copy of the full installer, install from that, reboot and then try to see if when next running Firefox you get prompted to allow the extension.

If you want then please follow these instructions closely. Uninstall Webroot from Programs/Tools/Uninstall.

To install WSA :
  • Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example:SA69-AANA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Subscription PC users click HERE)
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode and don't import any settings if asked to as you can set it up as you like once it's done
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again

@ can you assist?

Kind Regards,

Userlevel 7
Hello,

If the extension does not exist in Firefox the best thing to do would be to uninstall and then reinstall Webroot and then enable the extension when prompted.

If this does not work the next best option would be to create a support case.

One of our agents would be happy to take a look and get everything installed and working properly for you.

Best Regards,
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks guys

Under Settings, Firewall, the option "Enable webfiltering driver" is missing!  There is a line drawn under  "Enable realtime anti-phishing" and then we move onto "Allow all processes ...etc" At least it explains why I couldn't find it!

I had hoped to avoid doing a re-install but it's looking as if I have little option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Nemo,

Let us know how it goes won't you?

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Hi Sherry

Well I've uninstalled and re-installed and am not sure what to make of the outcome. Everything went smoothly and the first thing I did was check the Firewall setting.

It is the same as before - that is, there is no line saying "Enable web Filtering Driver"!

However I have checked in the new WRData file and I now have two folders "PKG" and "wrUrl" that I didn't have before! So I guess that's progress!

I also checked in Firefox and there is still no Webroot extension when I search under Extensions.

Any more thoughts?

Nemo

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
At this point it's only for Beta Testers with a BETA keycode so that's why you don't see it!

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi Nemo,

Very interesting... I have the same menu options as you.
The only place I have ever seen an option for the driver is in the Beta.  

Dave
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Daniel beat me again.  You go guy! :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
@ wrote:
Hi Sherry

Well I've uninstalled and re-installed and am not sure what to make of the outcome. Everything went smoothly and the first thing I did was check the Firewall setting.

It is the same as before - that is, there is no line saying "Enable web Filtering Driver"!

However I have checked in the new WRData file and I now have two folders "PKG" and "wrUrl" that I didn't have before! So I guess that's progress!

I also checked in Firefox and there is still no Webroot extension when I search under Extensions.

Any more thoughts?

Nemo

Can you try this for Firefox to force install the Web Filter Extension as it works on other Firefox based Browsers such as Palemoon: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Unofficial-Webroot-filtering-extension-in-Palemoon-Unofficial/ta-p/142217 try your best to follow the steps closely and it will install in Firefox as well as i tried it many times and also with Cyberfox it works like a charm.

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks guys - that explains a lot.

Also I failed to reboot again after I re-installed. So I just did that and lo and behold, Firefox popped up with the WR extension. I guess I'm now good to go! It's nice to see all the green ticks when searching on Google - never had that before.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Thanks for the backup @ and @ :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
@ wrote:
Thanks guys - that explains a lot.

Also I failed to reboot again after I re-installed. So I just did that and lo and behold, Firefox popped up with the WR extension. I guess I'm now good to go! It's nice to see all the green ticks when searching on Google - never had that before.
You are very welcome Nemo,

Thanks for letting us know.

Have a good evening!:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks Daniel. I seem to be OK now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hey @ why don't you join the Beta testers group and Nic will give you a BETA Keycode as well if your interested? https://community.webroot.com/t5/Announcements-and-Release-Notes/Looking-for-Webroot-Beta-testers/td-p/175350/page/8

Daniel 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +34
Thanks for the offer Daniel but I'm not sure I'm up to Beta testing to be honest. I'm still getting used to the released version and I'm not that keen on making too many changes to my system.