Solved

Webroot's Application Protection and Edge Chromium

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi WR Team/Community,

I hope all is well.

So there’s something I noticed when adding Edge Chrome to the app protection under the ID shield of WRSA. Every time there’s a new update to Edge, you need to manually add Edge Chrome again to the app protection. 

I have a feeling this is Edge being weird but it has happened 3 times already on 2 different computers. Can you guys take a look into this?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 8 May 2020, 19:50

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

As far as i know the new Chrome based Edge is not supported in the ID shield at this time and you will have to add it (I do) until Webroot adds it into the code! @PVaddi any news on this?

Thanks,

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

@TripleHelix @PVaddi 

Hey Guys. So this is how I’ve been adding Webroot to the ID shield. However every time  Edge gets a new update, you have to re add Edge again. Not a big deal but can get a little tedious and it’s hard to notice until you look at the system tray.

Best.

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Has this been addressed as yet? I tried to follow the previous suggestion and failed miserably. I have an outdated WTS installed but it is disabled with remark about being managed ‘by your organisation’

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Has this been addressed as yet? I tried to follow the previous suggestion and failed miserably. I have an outdated WTS installed but it is disabled with remark about being managed ‘by your organisation’

Hello @Yarco 

I haven’t heard a thing and again I will ping @PVaddi to see if we can get any info? I will ping a Webroot Community staff member to see if he can get some info @khumphrey 

HTH,

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us.  

I am hearing 2 different problems in this conversation so I will try to address them in points:

1.  Edge Chromium application needs to be added every time a new version is released. We are aware of this issue and will be looking into it. Like @Tim Bray mentioned this may be an issue on the new Edge and if so, we will reach out to Microsoft and report it. 
  2. The second issue with WTS  @Yarco reported is that it is disabled. We should be able to help with this one more promptly. @Yarco, could you please provide us with the Edge browser version and the WTS version you have running please?

Thanks

Pawani

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hi @PVaddi 

This is what I have:

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Thank you, I could have been more explicit, my bad. I have exactly the same as Daniel has posted above. The extension button is to the right(so might be enabled) but it is ‘greyed’ out so you cannot do anything with it. As for installing the new version manually, the above posts were not very clear on HOW to do it, so perhaps a mini tutorial by someone would help those of us who are floundering!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Hi Yarco,

I believe I understand the problem now - let me know if this is accurate. 

The Web Threat shield management page as shown in @TripleHelix’s post is showing managed by organization as it is being managed by the main WSA AV since you are running both of them together. This means if you uninstall WSA AV it will also uninstall Web Threat Shield. We did this for convenience so you don't have to install/uninstall the 2 separately. 

Given that, to confirm things are working as expected, could you check on your Edge browser if you have the Webroot”s “W” icon in your toolbar and when you run a search, the search results have the green, yellow, red annotations?

Also, here is a reference article on how to install manually if you are still having problems:

https://community.webroot.com/web-threat-shield-131/how-to-add-the-web-threat-shield-extension-to-the-new-microsoft-edge-341874

Thanks

Pawani

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Yes sir, the icon in toolbar is green and I get the coloured indicators. Thank you very much.