Solved

Webroot Secure Anywhere Complete on Mac does not perform initial scan

Userlevel 1
Hi, I just finished up getting this to run well on my Windows 8 machine, now on my Macbook with Lion 10.7.5, The initial scan says it's scanning, but the Files scanned: Threats: Processes all stay at 0 and the Time elapsed just continues to climb.  Also in my dashboard it says 3 PC's protected but the Macbook does not show up there.  In the My Account section, under status it says Waiting for license even though I have input the license key successfully.  The only way to exit the program is to kill it out of activity monitor.  Clicking on the icon in the system try to kill it does not work.  There is no context menu choice to scan items either.  

So it sounded like a broken install at that point, so removed it and tried to reinstall.  That failed with the same behavior.  Then I REINSTALLED LION and updated it to 10.7.5 and it still happens.  I'm stumped.

Help?
icon

Best answer by shady 22 June 2013, 22:21

View original

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello Shady!

The WSA product for MAC is a bit different than the one for Windows.  Ths is due to the fact that Apple refuses to admit MAC's can be vulnerable to malware and so they refuse to allow AV "scanning software".  WSA for MAC does have a few features to keep your MAC safe,  but it does not have a scan function as a result.  Here is an article that might help a little bit.
Userlevel 1
@DavidP wrote:
Hello Shady!

The WSA product for MAC is a bit different than the one for Windows.  Ths is due to the fact that Apple refuses to admit MAC's can be vulnerable to malware and so they refuse to allow AV "scanning software".  WSA for MAC does have a few features to keep your MAC safe,  but it does not have a scan function as a result.  https:///t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Mac-Changing-Web-Threat-Shield-Settings/ta-p/34734#.UaxnENI3taA that might help a little bit.
So, wait a minute.  I got this as a complete security package but it doesn't even have on demand scanning for Mac OSX?  I kind of don't believe it because either
A) Why are you selling the product?  Regardless of Apple's take on AV's if your service doesn't work properly then thats on Webroot
😎 The FIRST THING it wants to do is run a system scan that never finishes.  If it doesn't work, then why is it even in there?

I read the article you posted, but this program is behaving like a bad install (cant shut it down, cant uninstall it correctly).  So are you guys saying that it isn't compatible with Macs?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@DavidP wrote:
Hello Shady!

The WSA product for MAC is a bit different than the one for Windows.  Ths is due to the fact that Apple refuses to admit MAC's can be vulnerable to malware and so they refuse to allow AV "scanning software".  WSA for MAC does have a few features to keep your MAC safe,  but it does not have a scan function as a result.  Here is an article that might help a little bit.
So, wait a minute.  I got this as a complete security package but it doesn't even have on demand scanning for Mac OSX?  I kind of don't believe it because either
A) Why are you selling the product?  Regardless of Apple's take on AV's if your service doesn't work properly then thats on Webroot
😎 The FIRST THING it wants to do is run a system scan that never finishes.  If it doesn't work, then why is it even in there?

I read the article you posted, but this program is behaving like a bad install (cant shut it down, cant uninstall it correctly).  So are you guys saying that it isn't compatible with Macs?
Not owning a MAC, I am not as familiar with the installer.  The MAC product does give protection, but not an actual on demand scanner that you think of in a PC antimalware software suite.  I am guessing that the initial scan that it is trying to run is detecting settings and autoconfiguring for you MAC.  If this is not completing correctly, it might be a problem that uninstalling and re-installing might help.

If this does not work, consider filing a Trouble Ticket
Userlevel 1
@DavidP wrote:
@ wrote:
@DavidP wrote:
Hello Shady!

The WSA product for MAC is a bit different than the one for Windows.  Ths is due to the fact that Apple refuses to admit MAC's can be vulnerable to malware and so they refuse to allow AV "scanning software".  WSA for MAC does have a few features to keep your MAC safe,  but it does not have a scan function as a result.  https:///t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Mac-Changing-Web-Threat-Shield-Settings/ta-p/34734#.UaxnENI3taA that might help a little bit.

Not owning a MAC, I am not as familiar with the installer.  The MAC product does give protection, but not an actual on demand scanner that you think of in a PC antimalware software suite.  I am guessing that the initial scan that it is trying to run is detecting settings and autoconfiguring for you MAC.  If this is not completing correctly, it might be a problem that uninstalling and re-installing might help.

And since the initial scan never starts/finishes, the MAC does not show up on the secure anywhere dashboard.  I'm going to have to file a ticket I guess.  Ugh.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
@DavidP wrote:
@ wrote:
@DavidP wrote:
Hello Shady!

And since the initial scan never starts/finishes, the MAC does not show up on the secure anywhere dashboard.  I'm going to have to file a ticket I guess.  Ugh.

MAC devices are not supposed to show up on the Console.
Userlevel 7
Shady,

As I said earlier I am not as well versed in MAC as I would like to be.. so I am hoping someone will chime in on this to correct me anywhere I might be wrong.  I do know the MAC product is a bit different, but don't have a full a grasp of the differences as I would like to have.

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
It should show in the online console only the iPhone mobile will not show up but since shady is having issues with installing either someone from the webroot staff could guide her or she can Submit a Support Ticket as you suggested David.

Daniel

Userlevel 7
I was not happy with my own response, do I PM'd one of the MODS here on the Community.  Here is his reply, including where I was incorrect :)

"Sorry for getting back to you a bit late on this. What you're saying is partly true, but not exactly. Here is the post that I think needs a bit of adjusting.

"The WSA product for MAC is a bit different than the one for Windows.  This is due to the fact that Apple refuses to admit MAC's can be vulnerable to malware and so they refuse to allow AV "scanning software".  WSA for MAC does have a few features to keep your MAC safe,  but it does not have a scan function as a result.  Here is an article that might help a little bit."

I think this post would be a great way to phrase the Android vs. iOS protection, but it's not exactly the same for OSX. While WSA for Mac will not currently show up in the My Webroot Account, the program itself does indeed scan the Mac computer it is installed on. I have WSA installed on my Mac and I use it on a regular basis. That said, the Mac product is not nearly as feature rich or customizable as the Windows product, but this is mainly because there a just not nearly as many threats for Mac. That said, we are currently working on adding new features and improving the Mac client.

Going back to Shady's issue, however, something is definitely not working properly as it sounds like the scan is initiating, but not actually scanning any files. A support ticket would definitely be best in this case, but I think you should rephrase that post to acknowledge that the Mac won't currently show up in the console and that it indeed sounds like a scan issue that needs further analysis."
Userlevel 7
No worries, DavidP! Thanks for jumping in on the thread and providing some great input. I'm just here to clear up a couple of things about the Mac product.

Shady-David is absolutely right that the Mac product is a bit different. As of right now, your Mac will not show up in the "PC Security" portion of your My Webroot account alongside your PC's. This is a feature we're currently working on inplementing. That aside, SecureAnywhere for Mac is indeed an antivirus program that scans and protects your Mac from threats. While it doesn't scan automatically like the Windows program, it will work much the same way in letting you know if you're clicking on a malicious website and will notifty you if it detects a threat. Likewise, you can always open SecureAnywhere on your Mac and run a manual scan. On that note, our developers are constantly working to add features and make improvements to the Mac client just as they're doing for the Windows product.

Based on your description, it's clear that there is indeed an issue at hand-it sounds like the scans are initiating, but not progressing to scan your computer. DavidP is correct that best way to go about the issue is to submit a support ticket (which it sounds like you have done).

Please update the thread and let us know if you have any questions and/or if a support agent has helped you get this issue resolved!
Userlevel 7
YagorP,

A hundred thank you's for the help!
Userlevel 7
You're very welcome, David! Thanks again for your quick responses to Shady!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Thanks Yegor if it doesn't show up on the Online console how can Webroot control the seats being used? As you can see I don't use Mac's either. :p

TIA,

Daniel
Userlevel 1
Hi guys
Just got back from work,
I sent another ticket to support but I had to piggyback from the first ticket I made (the WIN8 issue) as I could not create a new ticket out of the Mac interface.  Hope they can help me get the program working on my macbook.

Thanks
shady
Userlevel 1
So I hadn't heard back from the technical team so I started messing around with it, and it seems to be working now.  I got the scan to run but it still says "subscription information not available" at the bottom of the main interface page and there's still no context specific scan (is that available on Webroot) and in the My Account section it still says status: Waiting for license.

But it did finish it's initial scan.  I tried two different settings...
1.  I turned ON Lion's firewall and stealthed all ports
2.  Went to WIFI, on battery.  I was ethernet, plugged in.

Thats it.  it just decided to start working.
Userlevel 7
Hey Shady,

Thanks for the update! I want to further investigate the issue and look into the "subscription not available message" you're seeing. In the meantime, can you private message me the email address you used to submit the support ticket so I can take a look and see what's going on there as well?

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Hey Shady,

Thanks again for sending over that email information in a Private Message!

First of all, you are right in that there is currently no way to run a content-specific scan in the SecureAnywhere Mac program. That said, we are constantly working to add new features and improve WSA for Mac. In regards to your other issue, I tried to see if SecureAnywhere on my personal Mac was giving me the same message, but I wasn't able to replicate what you were seeing. I checked in with one of our Escalation Engineers and he said that is an issue that has come up a couple times in support and that we're currently looking into the small amount of cases that we've seen. Even if your SecureAnywhere is scanning, that "subscription information not available" messaging you're seeing isn't normal. The best way to go about this is to is to do a fresh un/reinstall of SecureAnywhere. To do so, please follow the instructions below:

1.   Shut down SecureAnywhere by clicking the Webroot icon (green W) in the menu bar and selecting Shut Down SecureAnywhere.
2.   If prompted, confirm that you want to shut down SecureAnywhere.
3.   Open the Finder by clicking the Finder icon in the dock.
4.   Open the Applications directory
5.   Click and drag the Webroot SecureAnywhere program icon into the Trash in the dock.
6.   A confirming window appears.  Click Uninstall.
7.   Webroot SecureAnywhere is now uninstalled.  There is no need to restart your computer.

Afterwards, please reinstall SecureAnywhere and check to see if the issue is resolved. If not, or if you are unable to uninstall Webroot SecureAnywhere using the above instructions, please update your support ticket to include the most recent information. If this is the case, the support agent will likely need to remote into the Mac and do a proper uninstall/reinstall of the program.

Hope that helps! Let me know if the aforementioned solution resolved the problem. Also, can you reply to my last PM and send me the keycode you used to install WSA on your Mac so I can reference it in out system?

Thank You!

Userlevel 1
I sent you my product key.  Unfortunately we have regressed and its back to not scanning and not shutting down.
Userlevel 1
But, I downloaded CCleaner, and tried to use that to uninstall WSA, it gave me 'insufficient privileges' error so i wonder if that has something to do with why it behaves strangely. I'm running a permissions repair now...
Userlevel 7
Hi Shady,

Thanks for sending the PM with the keycode. You were indeed using the Complete keycode so everything is fine regarding that. I am sorry to hear that the issue remains and that you are not able to run scans.

Please let me know if the 'Permissions Repair' resolves the issue. If not, we please keep the thread and ticket updated so we can troubleshoot accordingly.

Thanks,
Userlevel 1
Hello All,

It seems the permissions reset might have done the trick. 

I wound up reinstalling one more time, then, to my surprise, right after a full clean reinstall I had to run the permission reset anyhow.  After a reboot and verifying the integrity of the disk, I reinstalled Webroot.  I took the dmg file from the Youtube video with the installation instructions.  I was able to register the product and run a scan.

Then I rebooted, and I'm back at square one, no longer able to scan, and I cannot kill the software without going to activity monitor.

I'm going to run repair again on permissions as that seems like the key.

I'll let you guys know what I find...

thanks
shady
Userlevel 7
Thanks for the update, Shady. I also see that one of our Escalation Engineers has taken over your case and will continue to assist you via the support system. Please also keep us updated on the case and let me know if you have any more questions in the meantime.

Regards,
Userlevel 1
Punch myself in the nuts update:

I reinstalled with Apple store updated Lion (had combo update built in) and tried to install Webroot, but got same error

I remove Webroot then run permissions fix, this time there are only like three to fix. (before it was a giant list)

Reboot, reinstall Webroot... fail.  Ugh

Now with pics

Userlevel 7
Hi Shady,
Was this issue resolved by support? I took a look at the support case, and it sounds like you might have a successful installation at this point.
Userlevel 1
We wound up installing an older version of the software, and that worked.  Got some good log information about the issues with the newer version, so hopefully they can work that out.  Resolved for now, thansk guys!
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Given that this problem has been around for a while now, I am shocked that Webroot still sold me this upgrade.  I have all the same problems listed in this post.  Only difference I could see is that online my Mac shows up as one PC protected--though I have none (but I assume this is just because there is no category for Mac and really isn't the problem--the fact that I can not do an av scan however is) .  

I submitted a support ticket--then checked to see if others have this problem and what I found was disappointing.

The trial product worked fine...so I purchased and upgraded a bit (not Complete, but Plus).  From what I read here, a mistake.  Have your engineers made any progress with this issue since then?  

I totally get that Mac prohibits a lot...I am already very disappointed in Mac but I lost too much to go back to Windows.  So I must find some layer of security somewhere.

Thank you