Solved

Webroot Tests Discussion

• 12 May 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hi WR Team,

I hope all is well.

I ran into this test online and I would just like to get your opinion on tests like these. 

The tester even admitted that he’s not aware of how Webroot does things. He scans a folder of malware samples and from my understanding not all of the samples were detected/eliminated. Which is why he runs a secondary scanner with detected files. Knowing that Webroot doesn’t focus too much on dormant files (which is essentially harmless until executed), this is pretty expected.

I would like to bring to your attention the ransomware portion. Is there something the tester did/didn’t do to why the ransomware wasn’t prevent?

PS. I love Webroot. I love the utilities and the concept behind this product. I also want to support this product especially since its based in US. I’m bringing this test to your attention because I want to see the product evolve and improve. Hope this helps grow and improve this awesome product.

Cheers.

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 12 May 2020, 19:06

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Tim Bray 

In all honesty IMO I hate YouTube testers as most of the time they don’t do tests correctly so I don’t even watch them.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Hello @Tim Bray 

In all honesty IMO I hate YouTube testers as most of the time they don’t do tests correctly so I don’t even watch them.

Hello @TripleHelix 

The guy in the video even admitted that he doesn’t know how Webroot does things. When I first heard that, a red flag popped into my head. I personally like PCMAG’s approach since they actually know the products inside and out. 

But just for clarity’s sake, what exactly are YT testers doing wrong? There’s a huge discrepancy between their results with PCMAG’s reviews and results, and I just want to know the difference.

Best.