Webroot Web Sheild Causing Performance Issues when having many tabs open.

• 8 February 2014
  • 1 reply

This issue took me quite awhile to solve. Presented as after a few hours of my PC running Video would start playing choppily programs would start becoming sluggish. Chrome would take ages to load a page. I am a reddit user and wind up opening a bunch of tabs at once in addition to the normal ones I keep open. It can get up to 50+ sometimes.

At first I thought it was a ram issue and finally went through with the upgrade I've been putting off after the issue persisted I started digging deeper. Task manager would only show 1.5gb used out of 16, But CPU usage would stay  80-90%. With taskmngr.exe itself using 25% cpu when open. What made it hard to account for was the 50% that wasn't idle but wasn't being claimed by any processes on the list. After trying many different potential fixes I finally disabled webroot and the problem went away. Turning it back on and toggling the web sheild solved the issue again.

So, it looks like Webroot needs a bit of optimization to run for tab happy people like myself. In the meantime I'll just leave the web shield off.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello BrianCLowe and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

I would suggest you Submit a Support Ticket so that they can gather some logs from you and let you know what is causing it. And please let us know the outcome as it could help other users.

HTH,

TH