Solved

Website Blocked Only In Certain Browsers

• 15 January 2014
  • 14 replies

Hello, I have recently installed Webroot SecureAnywhere Internet Security Complete on my computer. When I tried playing Farmville in Facebook, I would get a notification that "serve.truex.com" was harmful. Upon further investigation, I found that the website "truex.com" is an advertising content delivery website.

Now here's the thing: I don't mind the website being blocked. When I navigate to that website in IE11 and Firefox 26, webroot blocks it with a warning. When I navigate to that website in Google Chrome browser, the site is not blocked and no warning is issued.

I am worried about the inconsistency in potentially malicious website blocking based upon which browser is used.
icon

Best answer by SevereWX 24 January 2014, 15:42

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

14 replies

I am having a similar issue with WeBRoot.  The update for Java was completed but now my computer has blocked a yahoo site that I use frequently. My question is: What do I do to be able to once again use the site?

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Hello SevereWX & nanamer and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

It could be a number of things that could cause this most times doing a clean reinstall of WSA would fix these issues so can you please Download the Installer Here and make sure you have a copy of your keycode then Uninstall WSA and REBOOT then with the new installer install and enter the keycode and let it finish it's install scan then REBOOT again and please don't import any old settings and check to see if it's working in all supported Browsers IE, Firefox & Chrome and please let us know the outcome,

Thanks,

TH

Are you the same respected Triple Helix of Wilders Security fame? If so, I am familiar with your posts there! Thank you for the kind welcome.

I have done as you asked, and downloaded the installer. I uninstalled Webroot, rebooted, installed webroot, and rebooted again.

I visited truex.com in IE11, and it allowed me to visit and navigate the site with no warnings.

I visited truex.com in Firefox 26 and blocked the website with a warning message and I could not view, nor navigate the website.

I visited truex.com in Google Chrome and it allowed me to visit and navigate the site with no warnings.

Out of curiosity, I visited the site in Opera and it gave me a warning, to which I clicked close (as in get me outa here!) but all it did was remove the warning and allow me to navigate the site, with a new warning prompt at each page load, but still left the site functional.

For reference sake, I am running Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center, and have no other security software running, other than Windows Firewall. Windows Defender is turned off.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes I'm one and the same TH LOL and thanks! With Windows 8.1 IE11 can you check for the Webroot Filter Extension under tools Manage Add-ons? Also can you send me the link via PM?

Thanks,

TH ;)

EDIT: I don't get a block and it shouldn't be blocked please see here from BrightCloud: http://www.anony.ws/i/2014/01/15/ny59b.png so please check your browsers to see if you have those extensions and if you don't you will get them in time as they are still rolling out the 2014 Web Shield slowly to all users and it could be a block from the old 2013 Web Shield which some still have until the 2014 Web Shield shows up Also Opera is not a supported Browser anymore but some have found a way to make it work in the newer versions of Opera Chromium based Browser.

This is the New 2014 Web Shield Block window.

I only have the Webroot toolbar for the password manager. Once I took IE11 out of Enhanced Protected Mode, the truex.com website began being blocked again in IE11. I do not yet have the Webroot Filter Extension.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kg4nck/11970309126/

Since Opera is not supported by Webroot, I will just uninstall that browser, as I don't really use it that much anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Your picture confirms that you still have the 2013 Web Shield so you will know when you get the new web shield as the supported Browsers will ask to install the new Webroot Filtering Extensions and please allow them! I still use Opera 12.16 but for certain websites but if I did go to a bad website I would be still protected with all of the other Shields in WSA!

HTH,

TH ;)
Will the new 2014 Filter extension be compatable with IE11, Firefox, and Chrome? I am still curious why the current version I'm using blocks in IE11, but not IE11 Enhanced protected mode, blocks in Firefox 26, but does not block in Chrome. I am unsure which browser to trust using at this point, until I am assured of proper browsing protection in those three browsers. As it stands the results are still incosistent, though I understand the 2014 filter extension should make the current conditions a moot point.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Yes fully compatible with supported Browsers IE, Firefox & Chrome also Safari if you like as WSA has a Mac version also! Well that's one of the reasons for the new Web Shield the old one is not very good and the New one uses the BrightCloud Database and more to protect you: http://www.webroot.com/us/en/partners/technology-partners/web-content-classification

Cheers,

TH  :D
Sounds great! I look forward to when the new version is rolled out to my systems.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain everything, I truly appreciate it. Since a new version is being gradually rolled out, I consider this current issue resolved.

Have a great day!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Your very welcome and it's my pleasure to help other users of WSA!

You have a Great day also!

Cheers,

Daniel 😉
Thank you for your help but for me I opened up my Java and turned the setting back to medium and the problem waas solved. Due to the update, it set my Java security at the highest security point. Thanks again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The new Java update right? https://community.webroot.com/t5/Security-Industry-News/Java-SE-Runtime-Environment-7u51-Released/td-p/77171#.UtoR_LQo6M8 not the WSA update just to be clear?

Thanks,

Daniel 😉
Just an update to let you know that a couple days ago I got the new Webroot Filtering Extension, and it's been smooth sailing so far. Now all 3 browsers behave the same, even with IE11 in Enhanced Protected Mode there seems to be no hiccups. Very happy Webroot customer here!
Userlevel 7
Thank you so much for the positive feedback. :robothappy: