Solved

What should I pair with Webroot?..

• 28 October 2012
  • 6 replies

So I have Webroot and it's doing a very nice job.  I really do love it.  However, I'm using Chrome.  As you may know, Webroot does not work with Chrome very well (as opposed to it's built in IE tools).  As a result, I am running the Chrome extension AdBlock to prevent mostly harmful advertisements and popups.  It's a real shame because I love to support my fellow web developers, but in today's day and age where there have been reports of viruses inside of advertisements, we need to be careful.  I remember one of the ratemyprofessor, or ratemyteacher, something like that website, as well as others, had flash ads that were managed by a third party company who let through ads that ran viruses through the system.  Given how insecure Flash is, and the possible exploitation it can give hackers, it's very scary.  I was actually infected this way which is why I got AdBlock.  Now given this was before I had Webroot... but luckily I removed the virus, as much of a pain in the ass as it was!  But on to my main question (sorry for my stories), I am just trying to find what pairs best with Webroot to protect my machine.  I do not need any parental controls, and because I use Chrome, I'd say I'm pretty safe against phising.  HOWEVER, I will be running a company where I will consult with my clients and provide them with suggestions.  Most of my users will have IE as opposed to Chrome.  Is Webroot enough?  Or should I suggest anything WITH webroot to make web browsing safe?  What about with Chrome and FF?  Additionally, what other SOFTWARE should I install for general use?  I noticed Webroot protects against not only web threats but also USB threats and more, which is REALLY cool, I love that!  I'm sure there is SOMETHING you can all recommend though, especially to my users who aren't as bright and 'safe' as I am when using my computer... which said experience has been gained from not only my own, but others' mistakes... but hey, you work two years in helpdesk and you see some crazy **bleep** lol.  Anyways, I just want to be able to give my clients the safest computer use as possible, and keep them protected and happy, so any suggestions would be very much appreciated! (:
-Christopher Burkhouse
icon

Best answer by MikeR 28 October 2012, 23:53

View original

6 replies

I would also like to add that I only work directly with WINDOWS machines, which can range from XP, Vista, 7, and possibly 8 (if it comes up). Again, any suggestions are much appreciated (: Even a link to a related article Webroot may provide that I may have missed would be awesome.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Whether or not you see the toolbar in Chrome,you are still very much protected.As i understand it,the toolbar is intended for password management purposes.It does not affect your protection.You will notice Chrome is still protected because it is present in the protected applications under the identity and privacy functions of the program.Just wait till you get a load of IE10.It blows Chrome out of the water from a security standpoint ie10 security test
Also,chrome has a password manager built into it,so maybe that is why webroot has been a bit slow developing this.It is being worked on however.I am partial to admuncher myself.Works on all major browsers,plus their devs get back to you really quickly when you have issues.Collective wisdom here is that WSA works superbly with windows firewall.That is true.My wife has had WSA paired with windows firewall for a year now and her pc has remained malware free in spite of her haphazard surfing habits.There are a great many firewalls that work really really well with WSA.Guys like TripleHelix use Look n Stop.Others use Online Armor or yet even others.I happen to use Privatefirewall to great effect.It's a matter of personal preference i believe.Also,your operating system will play a significant role in what works well and not so well.
Userlevel 7
Great questions, but you do not need to worry about being less secure while using Google Chrome (my preferred browser as well). SecureAnywhere's shields and protection are still active and there have been improvements to Chrome support in build 8.0.2.14.

We always recommend using the Windows Firewall with SecureAnywhere but many of our users use additional solutions along side Webroot and swear by it. I think you should test out trials while using SecureAnywhere and see what best fits your needs. In some articles, Microsoft has recommended using EMET along side an AV solution like ours, although it is not necessary.
Alright cool, thanks everyone (: I've noticed Webroot does an amazing job but just thought I'd ask in case there were any suggestions. The one thing I love about Webroot... it's like your guardian angel. Always there watching over you, but from high above, swooping in only when danger strikes. I hate how Norton always use to bother me about everything. I'm so glad I did my research and decided to go with Webroot, among the several that were out there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
You will not be disappointed with Webroot.I can assure you of that.My wife had used norton until shortly after the release of last years WSA.I would say i've converted her.She is so much happier now with nothing getting in her way.She is a novice web designer and some of the well recognized tools she was using were constantly getting flagged by Norton's Sonar as malicious and hence remved in part or whole.The false positives were ridiculous with Norton.Would go to bed some nights and wake up the next morning and some progs were wiped out on her pc.It got old very quickly.And the support was horrendous to say the least.Webroot from the top down is a class organization that cares about it's customers experiences.Improvements to WSA over time show they listen to us.Plus should you ever encounter a virus,a Webroot representative will help you remove it free of charge.A far cry from the hundred bucks or more Norton wants to do the same.I have yet to encounter an infection in over a years time.I only ever had 1 issue regarding a false positive related to jvpowertools and upon my reporting it,it was fixed in a matter of a few hours,where it might take days or weeks,or sometimes never in the case of Norton.Welcome to the Webroot family:D
Userlevel 7
Hello ChristopherBurkhouse, Welcome to the Webroot Community Forum and to the Webroot Family. 😃