Solved

Which file types do you want to see automatically synced?

Userlevel 7
  • Retired Webrooter
  • 1581 replies
Prompted by this idea to automatically sync PDF files, Webroot is investigating the possibility of adding additional file types to the default options presented on the Backup & Sync setup screen.  Currently, the default file types are as follows:

By selecting "Custom filter," a Backup & Sync user can already manually add any file type or create a *.* filter to sync all file types.  However, for convenience, Webroot presents Backup & Sync users with commonly used default options for file types.  There are likely many other commonly used file types that would fit into these categories which Webroot does not currently automatically sync.  The "PDF" idea will result in a new file type - *.pdf - being added to the Document files list. 

As long as we're going to add *.pdf, what else do you think we should add?

Not necessarily every suggestion will be implemented, but probably a lot of them will be accepted.  Please post your file type suggestions here. :)

Also, if you have friends who use Webroot, please share this post using the Share button at the bottom right side of this message, because we'd like to get as much feedback as possible on this idea before taking action.

Thanks everyone!
icon

Best answer by JimM 20 April 2013, 00:37

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
1) Definitely all MS Office files widely spread, so besides those already included, *.ppt, *.pptx should be included. I originaly thought also of MS Access files but there is quite a big array of extensions and on top of that MS Access isn't so widely used.

2) Windows Media files like *.wmv, *.wma should be also included.

3) QuickTIme files like *.qt, *.mov should be also included.

4) Real Media file like *.rpm should be also included.
Userlevel 2
All MS Office files and pictures as well.  I would say most folks would care about and want those to be backed up.:D
Userlevel 7
5) MS Outlook files *.msg

6) Windows Mail files *.eml
Userlevel 7
Thanks for the replies everyone! 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Outlook Back Up .pst

Daniel
Userlevel 7
You're welcome Jim! I thought yet other file types to post here but realized that the wild card rule (a *.* filter) is already in place so no need to make too extensive list of file types. It would be enough to somehow express in the Backup & Sync GUI that you can use the wild card rule to backup in fact everything on your PC.
Userlevel 7
Many of these suggestions went into build 8.0.2.145. Many thanks to all of you who participated in this thread! 😃
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Many of these suggestions went into build 8.0.2.145. Many thanks to all of you who participated in this thread! :D
Hi Jim,
Before the 145 build was released I added files like pdf and txt. I see that they are added on this build so they are listed twice.Will this have any effect on the backup, like double backup on these files?

Userlevel 7
I don't believe so, but I haven't seen anyone do this yet to confirm it.
Userlevel 7
Thanks Jim, I'll leave it the way it is and see what happens on the next few backups.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
Many of these suggestions went into build 8.0.2.145. Many thanks to all of you who participated in this thread! :D
Jim, how it works with the existing installation? If you do a clean install of WSA and you setup the backup first time you are given an option to backup variety of files and I belive that in this scenario there are offered newly added files. However for the existing installation they (newly added files) are not available. I tried to add a new filter believing that the newly added files will be offered but that wasn't the case. So may I understand that the only workaround is to reinstall WSA and setup backup from the scratch? If so, it's quite boring. I thought that updating to version .145+ will automatically update the default list of files with the newly added files or if I add a new filter the newly added files will be automatically offered.

Or am I missing something?
Userlevel 5
On the Video entry you might want to add *.mkv as well, it's a fairly common format.
Userlevel 7
I think *mkv made it in. That suggestion came in from another source, but it was on the list.

Pegas, I doubt very much that the change would automatically trigger. It could potentially cause people to back up things they intentionally did not want to back up, create confusion, and eat up storage space based on an assumption that may not be correct for everyone in all cases. So yes, un/re is the way to go to get these settings to trigger. They are "default" settings after all.
Userlevel 7
OK Jim, understood. However couldn't it be made in a way that the newly added files will be offered when adding a new filter? Believe me un/re is really not so handy workaround.
Userlevel 7
It possibly could have been, but it would have needed more work that would have made doing this a much lengthier process.
Userlevel 7
OK let's leave it for the time being.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I don't believe so, but I haven't seen anyone do this yet to confirm it.
To give an update to the community, I've done several backups with the settings that I posted (Double pdf & txt). I haven't found any double backups on these files, so it looks like I'm good to go! 😉
Userlevel 7
Thanks Dave, good to know! :D