Solved

Why is Thunderbird not listed in the firewall, yet can send/receive email

• 17 March 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge +10

I noticed that Thunderbird is not listed under active connections in the WR-firewall. It is not under Mozilla, not under Thunderbird. Why is that and why can I send/receive email?

B..t.w. the same is true under alowed apps in Windows defender firewall: no Thunderbird.

Both are enabled according to the security centre. Using Thunderbird 68.6.0 32 bit, Windows 10 latest update, and Webroot complete.

icon

Best answer by TripleHelix 17 March 2020, 19:58

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Hello @Dick99999 

Make sure Thunderbird is Open and Running then look at the WSA Firewall and it should be listed. The same for any other programs they need to be open and running to show in WSA’s Firewall.

HTH,

Badge +10

Thanks, that is what I thought and had done. So Thunderbird is open and running. My active WR firewall list is at:

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AivkqTo7U8gngt1SQoYiIv65QCX25w?e=EopncX

and this is active:

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

You have allot of updated things like Chrome and others from Temp Folder in there as well your list is quite large so I would suggest to do a clean reinstall of WSA and that will clear up many things.

Please follow the steps closely!

• Make sure you have a copy of your 20 Character Alphanumeric Keycode! Example: SA69-AAAA-A783-DE78-XXXX
  • Be sure you add your Keycode to your Online Console: Webroot SecureAnywhere Online Console
  • KEEP the computer online for Uninstall and Reinstall to make sure it works correctly
  • Download a Copy Here (Best Buy Geek Squad Subscription PC users click HERE) Let us know if it is the Mac version you need
  • Uninstall WSA and Reboot
  • Install with the new installer, enter your Keycode
  • Let it finish it's install scan
  • Reboot once again
  • DO NOT import any old settings as you can set it up as you like once it's done

Thanks,

Badge +10

After the un- and reinstalll of Webroot, the list of active apps in WR now contains some 25 entries. And indeed it is now including Thunderbird and another 3-rd party App that was missing too.

I also did reset the Windows defender firewall to default settings. That eliminated most of the very long list of apps in there, My real problem was backup pro, which also was not listed like Thunderbird and I could not send email to a support group. After resetting both firewalls it works again.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

After the un- and reinstalll of Webroot, the list of active apps in WR now contains some 25 entries. And indeed it is now including Thunderbird and another 3-rd party App that was missing too.

I also did reset the Windows defender firewall to default settings. That eliminated most of the very long list of apps in there, My real problem was backup pro, which also was not listed like Thunderbird and I could not send email to a support group. After resetting both firewalls it works again.

Thanks.

Great to hear!

Cheers,

Badge +1

Thanks.

yup sir both are working great 

Thank both of you to sharing this wonderfull information

Userlevel 7
Badge +63

Thanks.

yup sir both are working great 

Thank both of you to sharing this wonderfull information

Hello @stafford1379 great to hear that it fixed your issue as well. I’m a Beta Tester and do quite a few reinstalls so when I seen that @Dick99999 had such a large list in his Firewall the best thing to do is do a clean reinstall of WSA and it’s a great Idea to reset Windows Firewall as well once in awhile to clear out old unneeded things that are listed.  https://www.howtogeek.com/201658/how-to-reset-the-windows-firewall-rules-to-default/

Also note that WSA and Windows Firewall need to be on to fully protect you see here for more info: https://docs.webroot.com/us/en/home/wsa_pc_userguide/wsa_pc_userguide.htm#UsingFirewallWebShieldProtection/ManagingFirewalls.htm%3FTocPath%3DUsing%2520Firewall%2520%252F%2520Web%2520Shield%2520Protection%7C_____1

Thanks!