Will entry of a new keycode add a year, or start a new year losing the rest of my current licence?

• 19 October 2014
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 1
I have a 3-seat licence which will end in a couple of weeks' time.  I have a new keycode for the 3-seat product which I assume should renew my licence for another year.  If I enter the code before the end of the current period, will this ADD a year to my current licence, or simply start a new year at that point, thus losing the remainder of my current licence?

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Hello john-whythe, welcome to the Webroot Commumity!

While it is sometimes cheaper to purchase a new key code rather than renew the existing one, renewing does make things a good bit easier.  Here is something I just posted earlier on another thread with about the same question, so I have copied it here a I think it will answer your questions.

Dealing with Old Key Code data and Days.  You said you have days remaining on your old key code.  Those will not automatically be added to the new key code.  You will want to submit a Trouble Ticket  for the following:

• Webroot Support might be able to either transfer the days remaining on the old key code to the new one OR transfer the days on the new key code to the old, so that you actually would revert to the old key code and continue using it.

• If you have been using Password Manager or Backup&Sync, the data from those are tied to specific user accounts, such as the account you used to log into the Console.  Each user account is tied to a specific key code.  SO... if you end up using the new key code, once the old one expires your Password Manager and Backup&Sync will stop working.  Webroot Support can also help here.  IF they took the option of having you use the NEW key code, they can transfer the account data from the old key code to the new key code, and things will then keep working nicely.
Obviously the best option will be to end up having Webroot Support make the decision in the end, but it will most likely be easier for them to simply cancel the new key code entirely and apply the 365 days from it to the old key code.  This, by the way, is how they have dealt with my own key code several times in the past with no problems.

I hope all of this helps and I apologize if it is confusing in any way... Let us know if you have any questions.
Userlevel 1
Thanks for that useful reply, David
Userlevel 7
You are most welcome, I do hope the reply really was helpful.

We have a good group of people on here, so any time you have a question, problem, etc or just want to pop in to the non techie area to general chat, come on back.  We have a lot of fun on here while trying to help 🙂
Well, I tried doing what you suggested, since I have a renewal coming up but support simply recommended installing the new key.
I'm pretty sure doing that will cost me the remaining days on the old license so I guess I will have to wait till it expires before activating the new key.
They never said anything about adding the new key to extend the subscription. 😞
Userlevel 7
Hello Abbyjack, welcome to the Webroot Community!

I am a little surprised at that... as the request is a fairly common one and usually is accomodated.  Let's have another look at this if you do not mind.

NOTE: If your existing Subscription is a Best Buy Subscription, even if the new key code is also a Best Buy version key code, the time on the licenses CANNOT be added together for any reason.

@  Can you take a look at this and the Trouble Ticket from this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
If you want to PM me your new keycode then I can add in the remaining days from your old one - it looks like it expires in December so I can add on 2 months.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
If you want to PM me your new keycode then I can add in the remaining days from your old one - it looks like it expires in December so I can add on 2 months.
Thanks Nic!  
i am in the same boat, have just emailed Support to see if they will transfer over the day.......
Userlevel 1
The support staff did add a year so I didn't lose any value from my previous licence.  Pity this doesn't happen automatically, though!
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
In general if you purchase a new keycode rather than renew your existing one, then you can wait until the existing one runs out before activating the new one.  It's not like the new keycode expires or goes bad.  But support or one of us on the community can always manually transfer in cases where you need that.
I tried this but customer support was unable to manually transfer the days so I wouldn't keep my hopes for that, it is just wasted time.

So those of us who decide to purchase the year licenses for the best price available basically need to keep getting bothered by the expiration popups until it actually expires even if we already payed for another year, and then input the new key.

I am not entirely sure why this process has not been made any easier to your users, it is a pitty because this is a great anti virus but it is too much hassle so I will be looking for something else next year.
Userlevel 7
Hi pedromvu

Welcome to the Community Forums.

I have to say that I am surprised about what you say that Support was unable to do...they usually manage to do this for users.

In response to your point about purchasing a new license to getthe best price...well, there is a renewal mechanism and it is the user's choice as to whether to follow this or to purchase a new license. That is how things work although I do believe that Webroot may be reviewing this situation...but don't quoote me on that.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Same here Baldrick, I've done this at least 3 times just by raising a support ticket and asking them to add the days on the new licence to the old one. Never had any problem with them doing it.
Userlevel 7
Indeed, sheltieuk.

Perhaps ? could investigate this particular case for the OP and see what the underlying issue is re. this usually acceded request? ;)

Regards, Baldrick 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Did support say that they were unable in this case for some reason, or just that they won't do it at all? I hadn't heard of any policy change in this regard.
Userlevel 7
Good point, Nic...and hopefully this does not pressage a change in policy as that will putsome nose out of joint out in the user base. :(
Perhaps my situation is different then, both of my licenses were bought on Amazon (the current one and the one I am about to use), CS said the issue was because I purchased it through a separate vendor.

I know there is a renewal option but frankly it seems the price is much higher than what I have been able to get it on Amazon that is why I went this route.
Userlevel 7
Well, I don't think that there is an answer to that one other than you will need to await the actual expiry of your current subscription before putting in and activating you new keycode.

And given that you use Complete I would export any crendentials saved in Password Manager so ghat once the ndw keycode is active then you can import these back into the Password Manager under your new keycode, etc. That is quite important to do if a Password Manager user.

Regards, Baldrick
I guess, it is actually just the basic version, for 3 devices, so I don't manage passwords.

Now that I see reviews there on Amazon seems other people have had issues with the cumbersome approach to renew via a new product purchase, I just hope the thing I see mentioned about expiring popups even after activating the new key doesn't happen to me.
Userlevel 7
If it does then what I would do is to update your Support Ticket and ask the Support Team to cancel the previous keycode so as to stop the messages.

They should be able to do that.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
We should still be able to add time to your new license on the back end, no matter where it was purchased. Just PM your old and your new keycode and I can get that taken care of.
Userlevel 1
As the OP for this thread and still a happy Webroot user, I'm monitoring this recent flurry of posts with interest:  if there has been a change in policy so as no longer to extend licences using those bought from Amazon etc then I would be distinctly annoyed and would probably look elsewhere in future.  It seems from this most recent message that the official policy is still to extend using valid licence numbers bought on the wider marketplace, in which case I intend to remain a happy user!
Thank you, I just sent a private message to you with the details.

Yes as previous poster I am too quite happy with the service, I just wished these kind of things were more standardized, it would save everyone including customer support trouble.

Also I am not sure why I couldn't do this with my CS ticket, I sent two messages with the same reply that it couldn't be done, so if manual will still be the only way in the future at least everyone should be aware of it.
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
We should still be able to add time to your new license on the back end, no matter where it was purchased. Just PM your old and your new keycode and I can get that taken care of.
Nice one, Nic...the most excellent Community Manager strikes again...;)