Solved

Window 8.1 Turn on/off Firewall

• 17 March 2014
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +17
Hello Everyone. My new computer is windows 8. and i just got the free update to 8.1. I have noticed, that the Firewall is on on both private network settings. and Public network setting. Should I just leave it alone, or Turn the window's firewall Off ? I am using Secure Anywhere Complete. Thank you very much.
icon

Best answer by Dermot7 17 March 2014, 01:29

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi venus60

Unless you have a 3rd party firewall application installed, other than WSA, you should leave the Windows Firewall on.  WSA's firewall handles the inbound side of things but re. the outbound side of things WSA defers to the Windows Firewall to police that side of things.

Please see this KB Article for further information on the subject, and also look through this previous thread that also has some useful information in it.

HTH?

Regards

Baldrick

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Just to add to Baldrick's reply:
  "Running the Windows firewall alongside our program is recommended and sufficient because the Windows firewall is effective against hostile inbound connections, whereas SecureAnywhere provides effective outbound protection."
  https:///t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Firewall-Compatibility/ta-p/19260

Ha, Ha....snap, Baldrick :D

Userlevel 5
Badge +17
Thanks. I am going to leave it on.
Userlevel 7
Hi venus60

No problem...as a double check I have just taken a closer look at my own Win8.1 system (a tablet I use for Win8.1-related  queries...plus some leisure browsing...;)).  I have absolutely no connectivity issues in relation to that system, and both networks have the Windows Firewall set as ON...:D

Have a great week.

Regards

Baldrick