Solved

windows 8 missing firewall options

howdy, i noticed some time back but never got round to asking, under win 7 in secure anywhere advanced settings/firewall i have 8 options but in windows 8 only top 4 options, any 1 no why this is
http://imgur.com/vq4m8gE
http://imgur.com/NyC8AEL
icon

Best answer by Shran 29 May 2014, 00:34

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Baldrick and Commander, big kudos for an awesome explanation!
Great job guys! :D

Hi Ganjamanyeah, welcome to the Webroot Community! :D

Regards,

Mike
Userlevel 7
Agreed...that is why I use Windows Firewall Control 4 which essentially front ends the Windows Firewall...and gives one some measure of control if one wants.  So what I do is periodically switch outbound control on which means that WSA cedes control to the inbuilt firewall and I can than check what is occuring.

Windows Firewall whilst very robust IMHO is not very user friendly...WFC 4 makes it more so...butnthat is just myntake on things...for what it is worth.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
I believe that in Windows 8/8.1, you can still see what is connecting, just not get a prompt when it tries to connect. You can see what is currently connecting to the internet by opening the WSA interface, clicking the little gear on the "PC Security" tab, then clicking "View active connections" on the right half of the interface.

Hope this helps,

Shran 😃
it is annoying not knowing what/when/why connections are made
Userlevel 7
No problem...we are always happy to help fellow users and Community members...as and when we can.

Regards

Baldrick :D
cheers guys
Userlevel 7

Edit: I posted my reply before I saw Baldrick's, I apologize about that 😳. One thing I feel compelled to point out though Baldrick, is that the link you provided links to your thread bookmarks. I presume you meant to link to a thread you have bookmarked? Thought I should point that out for you buddy 😉.

Shran
Hi Shran

Thanks for that...but funnily enough I was checking the post and correcting the link...must have been at the same time that you posted...as when I returned to the thread I saw your post...and checked again...but it was corrected...LOL

Posting from a tablet is not my favourite occupation. ;)

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
WELCOME GANJAMANYEAH:  to the WSA Community Forum. Lets hope [user=780][/user]  answered your guestion.

Remember to post back if you need more help or just come back to browse and look the site over!:D
Userlevel 7
Hi ganjamanyeah,

This is completely normal in Windows 8/8.1. To quote @ when he quoted @ :D

"To Quote Kit when he was with Webroot!
'WSA Firewall Settings in Windows 7 just expose control of the Windows Firewall that aren't exposed by the OS but can be controlled by other apps.

In Windows 8 and 8.1, these firewall settings are exposed by the OS, but MS took control away from apps to prevent apps from deciding to kick each other. So there is already these controls in the OS and WSA couldn't change them anyway.

Those controls are completely separate from the WSA portion of the firewall which triggers and takes action related to infections, so there is no reduction in protection.'"

Edit: I posted my reply before I saw Baldrick's, I apologize about that 😳. One thing I feel compelled to point out though Baldrick, is that the link you provided links to your thread bookmarks. I presume you meant to link to a thread you have bookmarked? Thought I should point that out for you buddy 😉.

Shran
Userlevel 7
Hi Ganjamanyeah

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Good question...take a look at this thread where this is discussed and the feature is requested.  Reading through the comments will enlighten you on the reasons you are seeing what you are seeing.

Regards

Baldrick