Windows says Webroot is off, but Webroot seems to be running. Ideas?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Greetings Community!
This is a bit scary: Windows 10 -- over a dozen times this afternoon -- has given me popups warning that both Webroot and Windows defender are turned off, but Webroot appears to be running as usual. And in the control panel, Webroot is listed as "on."

I've restarted the PC and run a few scans, but it keeps happening.  Anyone have an idea what is happening?

Thank you!

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi celz1357

Please take a look at this current thread on the topic...it will provide some insight.  And if interested in a longer read then there is also this one.

Regards, Baldrick

Userlevel 5
Badge +15
It is already set at "automatic,"  so not sure what to do next.
Nonetheless, it is certainly reassuring to know this is a known problem and that it is ok!!!

Thank you.
Userlevel 7
OK, well...I am sorry that you are experiencing issues. :(

This sort of broke mid to late last week so hopefully with a full tilt at it this week, and a Microsoft Patch Tuesday coming up, there will be resolution to the issue...interesting, but little comfort, to see that from what I read on the Internet this issue is not just affecting Webroot but also security app vendors.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
The boards seem to be quiet on this issue now.  Were the last Microsoft updates on the 10th supposed to have fixed the "Webroot turned off" pop-up?  The system is telling me there are no new updates. The warning is still popping up, but less frequently -- just once in the past few hours as opposed to multiple times as before.

Any news? I guess what I'm wondering is whether it is time to worry about it?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Sorry no they didn't please see here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Webroot-turned-off-showing-message-numerous-times-on-slide-in/m-p/243688#M16558 and here: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Complete/Webroot-turned-off-showing-message-numerous-times-on-slide-in/m-p/243811#M16587

Thanks,

Daniel
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Thanks you!
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Hi Baldrick,
It looks like the latest comment on this issue was about three weeks ago. Are other people still have a barrage of these pop-ups?  Just wondering if there is any more news I've missed.

Thanks much & Force be with you!
Userlevel 7
Hi celz1357

Good to see you around. How have you been? Well I hope?

Yes, unfortunately there has been no news from Support about the provision of a permanenet fix for the issue. To tell the truth I odo not think that you have missed very news on this at all.

It continues to affect just a group of users and we are not getting many new enquiries about it but that may just be because users are searching for news and finding the threads like this one, etc.

We keep our fingers crossed that a solution will shortly be found...most likely indicated by a new beta to test or the like. ;)

Live long & prosper 

Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Yeah, I'm still seeing this message all the time. I thought I would check here and see if there are any solutions yet. Running Windows 10 on Dell laptop. Happens constantly.
Userlevel 7
Hi MarsBase

The most likely avenue will be a silent, 'pushed' WSA update (for which they are famous for... 😉 )...but before that we should get an inkling of whether there is anything coming due to the process of releasing fixes to the beta testers, so hopefully when that happens and we see something to solve this we can provide a heads up. Nothing in the offing as yet but we will keep a weather eye out.  

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 1
Thanks for the quick reply. I figured it was a Windows problem because when I googled it, a lot of other security apps are reporting the same problem. Glad to see Webroot trying to sort out Microsoft's problem. 😃
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Hi Baldrick,
Yes, still around, and having pretty good day today, thank you. How about you?

Do I need to sign up receive a beta program? Or need one be a Webroot techie? ("Yes, absolutely," comes to mind. I hate to think of the number of questions I'd be writing in on a beta!)

A very cautious nature regarding malware makes me wonder if someone will catch on to the the fact we are ignoring constant messages saying Webroot is turned off, see it as a great opportunity, and actually hack in and turn it off, knowing we'd just go merrily along thinking it was an erroneous warning and all was right with our world. This feels like the Twilight Zone.

How much a risk is that, and how hard would it be for someone to do under the circumstances?
Userlevel 7
Hi celz1357

Oh, yes, I am still around...;)

Yes, one does need to be invited to join the beta testing group. If you want to then you need to PM our Community Manager, Nic.

I would say that if one are not technically minded or very experienced with WSA then it may be best not to until one has more experience, but having said that I do not believe that this would be a bar to joining. And if yo do then just make sure that you have an old and unwanted system on which to run the beta or that you take backups and/or images of the system that you would run the beta on...just in case.

What you are hypothesising on, whilst technically possible is extremely unlikely as WSA is well protected/hardened against attacks to try to switch it or prevent it from doing its job. The malware writers will no doubt have tried, failed and have decided to expend their nefarious efforts on something with more chance of success.

So I think that we are quite safe from the scenario you have suggested. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Hey Baldrick,
Not too much of a surprise about betas (I saw the suggestion as a possible remedy to the issue in another comment, so it was worth considering). But I'm not up to it: the only beta I ever evaluated was a shell program, so mostly aesthetics, rather than the entire system, were at risk.  Thanks for the confirmation. 

Good to hear it would be extremely unlikely for hackers to be able to succeed in taking advantage of the erroneous warning!  

It will, however, be nice not to have to deal with the pop-ups, especially when they decide to repeat every few seconds. I'm hoping Microsoft will address the problem soon. It can really disrupt one's concentration.

Have a great week!
Userlevel 7
Hi Celz1357

I am sure that beta group memebers will pounce on the next one and check to see if the issue is fixed nd if it is then they will post back to let the users suffering from this that succour is on the way...;)

As for WSA...yes, itis well hardened...but to say it could never be compromised would not be wise as nothing is 100%...but from what I know I have yet to hear of a case of it being so compromised.

Have a good one yourself...and keep watchhing this space. ;)

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 5
Badge +15
Hey Baldrick,
Thanks ever so for great quick responses!
Looking forward to hearing of a remedy.  
Force be with you!
Userlevel 7
And with you too, Celz1357...and with you too! :D