winlogon.exe

• 17 August 2016
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +15
Should I get Malwarebytes to  get rid of this "winlogon.exe"? I have been told it is a virus and I cannot get Webroot to remove. I thought I had a good anti-virus/malware program with this prem program? Is this a virus? Since the last Win 10 update my system(s) (2 computers) are dragging to respond. Something has changed and I do not know what. I invested in Remo Pro but that has not helped. Can anyone advise and help me please? Do I need another anti-virus? As a senior I don't have the money I used to have to insure my biz computers were secured correctly so I have to do so myself. Not a lot of funds to place in the wrong software. Help?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi caa1

Winlogon.exe is not in itself a virus. It is a safe Microsoft Windows system process, called "Windows NT Logon Application", and in fact required by Windows. Unfortunately, malware writers deliberately give their processes the same file name to escape detection.

And therefore the issue is how to recognise the real from the fake versions.

So to that end I would Open a Support Ticket to notify the Support Team of your concerns and to see if they can investiagte for you. If they find that the instance is indeed malware then they should be able to remove it for you.

Regards, Baldrick

Hello ?,

Edit: I see that Baldrick has already responded. I did too with the same advice but was wondering who told you these things?

Can I ask who told you that winlogon.exe is a virus? Normally, winlogon.exe is a normal part of Windows, but that's not to say that it couldn't be malware trying to disguise itself as a normal Windows process. Personally, if you are running Webroot, then I don't think you need additional protection. But that is up to you. I think it would be best if you submit a trouble ticket and let support determine if you have malware on your computer. This is a free service as part of your Webroot subscription.

Hope this info helps,

BurnDaddy
Userlevel 3
Badge +15
It was a tech support guy from Remo. Said I needed an anti-virus and Malwarebytes or Bytes something.
Userlevel 7
Well, caa1, whilst there is nothing wrong with having/using another anti malware app such as MBAM there is strictly no need too as WSA should provide you with very good protection, plus free technical support of users with active subscriptions.

Regards, Baldrick
Hi ?,

I agree with Baldrick regarding MB. I only use Webroot and it has never let me down, but some users prefer a layered approach. If you choose to do so Webroot will have no problems running alonside another AV product. It was designed to do so. As far as "winlogon.exe", if you have scanned with Webroot and it isn't reporting any issues then you shoould be fine, but if you'd prefer to have support take a look then please feel free to submit a trouble ticket.

Thanks,
bd