Solved

Working with Zonealarm...

• 8 November 2012
  • 6 replies

Hi, I've searched and seen reference to how Webroot Anywhere Complete works great with Windows firewall, but that you're also free to use it w/ other firewalls.  I haven't seen Zonealarm mentioned by name (doesn't turn up in a search) and I'm just looking to confirm that I can continue to use Zonealarm w/out issues...or if I'd be better off w/ Windows FW.

thanks,

Chris
icon

Best answer by Baldrick 30 April 2014, 20:33

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
You should be fine using the both together. ZA will complement WSA nicely.

In my case, though, I have only WSA Complete and have set its Firewall "Warn if any process connects to the internet unless explicitly allowed" what should be enough to guard outbound connections. As for the guarding of inbound connections I rely on Vista firewall.

BTW, you could be interested in reading at http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=332119
I set my WSAC  firewall to its maximum level (several times) as you suggested, but it subsequently reverted (several times) to its defaul setting. I inquired about this as part of a larger tech support request.  I was told that I really didn't want to reset the firewall to a higher level of protection and that the default level was just fine.  What am I missing? 
Userlevel 7
Hi LGB2040brown

Welcome to the Community Forums...:D

I do not thnk that you are missing anything and to be perfectly honest I have my WSA Forewall settings as standard, and it is running with the WIndows Firewall under Win7.  That, in my humble opinion is more than safe.

However, as to why it is resetting what you have previously set to defaults; well, the Advanced Settings can be control locally from the Client or centrally from the Web Console Account...take a look at this thread about how to check what your Web Console settings for this are set to and how to change them if you feel the need.

Do post back and advise if that has helped.

Regards

Baldrick
Thanks for the reply.  I've made an adjustment to the Web Console setting, and the Firewall setting does not automatically revert to the default position. 
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
I do not thnk that you are missing anything and to be perfectly honest I have my WSA Forewall settings as standard, and it is running with the WIndows Firewall under Win7.  That, in my humble opinion is more than safe.
I totally agree with you! :D

Regards,

Mike

Userlevel 7
Hi LGB2040brown

Many thanks for posting back on the status of your issue.  Much appreciated as this feed back helps us make sure that the advice provided to users in the future is up to date & pertinent.

Glad your issue is resolved.  Feel free to comeback with any other WSA-related issue and/or questions you may have in the future.  There should always be some Community members around to assist you.

Regards

Baldrick