WSA and Visual C++

• 18 March 2014
  • 1 reply

I'm just starting out with WSA.  I've found that it detects programs that I build with some versions of Microsoft Visual C++ (but not all of them?)  as threats.

For example, a simple hello world program is detected as "Vir.Tool.Gen" if built with VC++ 2005 and as "W32.Hack.Tool" if built with VC++ 2010. But no apparent problems with the hello world programs built with VC++6, VC++ 2003, VC++2008 or VC++ 2012.

Is there a reasonable way to whitelist the output of programs that I build?  I generally build my programs in one a few directory trees; for example, several projects might be underneath c:devtrees. 

Maybe I could tell WSA that unknown programs anywhere in c:devtrees are not to be considered threats?

Thanks

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +52
Hello mwb1100 and Welcome to the Webroot Community Forums!

Please click here to open a support ticket.
Whitelisting a monitored application for all WSA users normally only requires you provide them a copy of your scan log, or even just the lines from the scan log that say "monitoring" .
&
Read this thread:
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Internet/Submit-Programs-to-be-Whitelisted/m-p/4835#M239

Thank you
Best regard, Petr.