• 5 September 2014
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
  • Popular Voice
  • 54 replies
Hi all :)

I'm back home at last! *relief ;)
Just a question if you don't mind:
Is WSA compatible with Hotspot Shield (if used as another layer of protection for wifi connections)?

Hereafter is the description of the software :
"Hotspot Shield Elite secures your entire Internet surfing experience, whether you're at home or using a public connection. With Hotspot Shield Elite, all web transactions are secured using HTTPS, making your identity invisible to third-party websites and ISPs. Everything is safeguarded when you use Hotspot Shield Elite - passwords, credit card numbers, and the like - by the Virtual Private Network created by Hotspot Shield Elite. It's a tunnel of safety that effectively hides your data and movement from anything that's "outside" of the tunnel!
When you use Hotspot Shield Elite, all of your traffic is encrypted, not just the data going to sensitive sites. While banking sites typically use HTTPS, they're doing it to avoid losses on THEIR end, not out of some innate obligation to protect YOU. Hotspot Shield Elite raises the security level of your entire browsing experience to that of visiting a banking site. What's more, Hotspot Shield Elite can also be used to get around censorship restrictions that are imposed based on an IP address. By providing you with an address that's unique to the VPN, Hotspot Shield Elite gives you access to the entire"world of websites regardless of content or location restrictions"

The link to their website is :HotSpot Shiels Elite .

Thanks for your replies.

Cheers,
Herve

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Herve

An interesting question but I do not see anything in the specs or the description of how Hotspot Shield works that would conflict with WSA or vice versa.

I think that there is one way to find out and you know what I am referring to.

If you do try then please come back and let us know what you have found.

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Herve, hope you're well! :D
 Although I have no personal experience with HotSpot Shield, I seem to recall that WSA may need for some of the apps files to be whitelisted for WSA to work best with VPN type softwares. 

Regards,

Dermot
Userlevel 7
Hi Dermot

I would not disagree with you...but Hotspot Shield is a well known piece of security software and I am suspecting that the whitelisting has already been done...which is why I suggest that Herve tries the connections with WSA & Hotspot Shield enabled...that is the only way to know definitively.

Regards, Baldrick
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Oh for sure Balders...I wasn't trying to discourage him from going ahead, and omitted from saying 'Give it a bash!'  I was saying that if there was any (unlikely) slight issue, then the whitelisting would solve that, if necessary.

Sorry if I wasn't too clear.

Regards,

Dermot
I

Userlevel 7
Hey, Dermot...absolutely no need to apologise...mon ami...:D
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
I don't use Hotspot Shield but I do use a VPN and it will not affect WSA in any way this is the one I use and very simple to use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ and I do recommend any good VPN service if you go to Airports, Hotspots at Cafe's, Hotels and such and like you said if your blocked from seeing content I use a US address then I can watch it.

Daniel 😉