WSAC(Mac) and Cocktail potential incompatibility?

Just observed that after WSAC 8.0.5.87 and Cocktail 7.0.3 has run it's weekly maintenance that WSAC had to run a full scan (ala it's initial scan when installed) after Cocktail finished!  

Presumably Cocktail tickled a local WSAC database that should have been hidden?  

Early days as I haven't had time to both repeat and also check on my other Mavericks 10.9.2 testbeds yet but thought I'd mention it for any interested Mac user that might have the opportunity to test for themselves (and me of course!) ;)

Yes, insufficient data - far too early to raise a Support Ticket!!
.....and yes I appreciate the Cocktail= "snake oil"     argument,  and No Cocktail does not have a method of file/directory exclusion (that I've found anyway), and no I haven't raised this with Cocktail Support either...

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Wow, horseman, you are ahead of the curve if yo have v8.0.5.87, as I think that the release channel & beta channels are only up at v8.0.4.66...unless I have missed something? ;)

What is your secret?

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Hello Baldrick,

I just installed it on my Mac and have v8.0.5.87 as well. Not sure when it was released as I only downloaded an hour or so ago.

Bob
Userlevel 7
Doh...am I dumb...of course...being a PC head I forgot about the land of the Glowing White Apple...thanks for the nudge back to reality, Bob...glad that you are awake when I am not :$

Apologies to you too, Tony, for doubting you. :(

Regards

Baldrick
Userlevel 3
Haha...wish I could feel a little better, but I have to admit, I downloaded an .exe file instead of a .dmg and tried to install that on the Mac!
My head's wrapped around the PC side a bit much myself, so no worries.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Horseman, I've read your post a couple of times since I own a Mac ,would you be able to explain what Coacktail means?
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
At least everyone is having fun!

Daniel ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Okay Daniel? Your sense of humor ..humors me...funny stuff!
Userlevel 3
SSS, hello...I know the question was addressed to Horseman, but Cocktail is a disk and system maintenance application for the Mac. Similar to Onyx, but not quite as extensive.

http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/

Bob
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Liontamer, Bob thank you for posting back and with a link for me. I'm going to read it now...sounds like a good cleaner. I use MactuneUp, 7.0 , for Maverick OS but it's nice to have a comparable or another option to consider.
Userlevel 3
You're very welcome...I used Cocktail years ago as I remember. I think I got it in some sort of a software bundle. If you're at all familiar with Unix commands, most of what Cocktail does you can accomplish from the command line I found, and I just never renewed any license I had. A lot of folks use it however and I'm glad the OP mentioned the possible incompatibility issue for them to be aware of.

Bob
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Hi Liontamer, I'm not anywhere close to knowing Unix commands, would love to take the time to learn them but only have tried a few commands with the terminal, but I back off . Especially when the commands don't work..lol
Userlevel 3
I certainly understand that SSS. I had some basic UNIX knowledge from college, but learned most of the little bit I know from the early days of linux; and especially the Gentoo version. Quite a few differences from the BSD derived Mac system, but many, many similarities as well. I don't spend nearly as much time there as I once did, and have to think about it beforehand, especially on the mac. In linux, there are some things that I do repeatedly and I have a pretty good handle on what I need to get by. It's fun actually, but it can cause some moments of anxiety when the command don't work! Or worse, they worked, but did something you really didn't want to do!
Worth learning some though...even if just a few.
Userlevel 7
Badge +62
Nice, college? Good for you, I've loved doing commands in MSDos in the old days and I could always exit out if I got too stressed...I've always wanted to do Linux and still might with VM by installing one of the popular ones listed in Wilderssecurity Forum. Trying to get info there. But it's fun to do these commands whenever I can. And The Mac...it would be nice to run a Windows OS on another partition but then again that takes reseach.
Userlevel 3
A VM is a great idea! All of the damage is contained within the VM so mistakes aren't critical at all. Have fun!