Solved

yahoo breach

• 23 September 2016
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12
ONE of my email addresses is a YAHOO email address. It is likely that many of my LOGIN IDs, PASSWORDS, etc have been hacked. How do I protect myself? 
icon

Best answer by Jasper_The_Rasper 24 September 2016, 00:12

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +56
Change your password on your Yahoo account.
Userlevel 4
Badge +12
DONE. NOW: I assume they already have my IDs, PASSWORDS, etc already. How donI protect those accounts, sources, data, etc?
Userlevel 7
@ wrote:
DONE. NOW: I assume they already have my IDs, PASSWORDS, etc already. How donI protect those accounts, sources, data, etc?
Make sure that you are not using the same password that you use for Yahoo on other accounts. If so, change them ASAP!

Other than that, Yahoo itself does not store any passwords. As long as you change your login password and make sure that the old password is not used on any other sites, you shoudl be relatively alright. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +56
The only other possible concern is any account numbers of other sensitive information that could be gleaned from your emails.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +54
My account was exposed due to this and I changed my account details with them and I was also told this:

"Please do not worry about the security of your account. The press release by Yahoo is about the security breach in 2014, and since then all security measures have been taken by Yahoo to safeguard the account details. If you have not changed your password since 2014, please do so now. I will help you to change the password."

Under the circumstances with any breach, it is better to go along with "if in doubt change them"
Userlevel 7
I am quite annoyed that Yahoo just announced a breach of user data from 2014. They waitied way too long, in my opinion.

I have a Yahoo email account, and am tempted to close it and just use of one my others simply due the lack of transparency. However, my instincts tell me that my accounts are probably no safer anywhere else.